Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Jonah Lomu

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Crikey! RIP, big fella. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Not necessarily, but if one said they were both taking supplements and said their condition was due to that, you would dismiss his concerns, right?

I think it's not the right time to discuss this type of thing. Given that the poor guy only got home from the UK and died the following morning, I'd think more along the lines of DVT or something like that. Regardless anyways, the poor guy is dead and his family is devastated with 2 small kids with no dad. My heart goes out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Jonah was a gifted player who was the first true global superstar for rugby around the world. We'll never again see a player who impacted and changed the game the way he did. A monster on the field and a teddy bear of it.

RIP Jonah.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Lads can everyone please stop discussing what caused Jonah's health problems today is not the time or the place to do that

I saw this today and it broke my heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIpv_KrT4_w

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭josip

"I am hoping not to come across him again. He's a freak - and the sooner he goes away the better."

Well he's gone now Will, but it's not for the better :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

screamer wrote: »
    I think it's not the right time to discuss this type of thing. Given that the poor guy only got home from the UK and died the following morning, I'd think more along the lines of DVT or something like that. Regardless anyways, the poor guy is dead and his family is devastated with 2 small kids with no dad. My heart goes out to them.

I disagree. If there are allegations of a club's drug/diet regime impacting the health of former players so seriously, there deserves to be a serious discussion on it, as it could potentially be impacting the health of current players.

Having said that, I also believe rugby needs to have an open discussion on the use of drugs in the modern game - it clearly happens, so it's worth educating people on the dangers of steroids[one of which is kidney failure, incidentally] and other PEDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Blackwell

Shocked to hear this. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I love that story Keith Wood says about Paul Burke during the game they played against the All Blacks in the 95 World Cup

"He’d been capped the previous year the same as myself,” he says. “I was a couple of years older than Jonah. I remember sitting on the bench and watching this devastating display of skill, speed and power. And Paul Burke, the Ireland sub out half, famously there was an injury in the backs and saying ‘I’m not going on, I’m not going on.’"

http://www.the42.ie/jonah-lomu-keith-wood-2451505-Nov2015/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

RIP Big Man

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Two people in the same family die of cancer. It must have been the same cause, right?

Not necessarily, but if one said they were both taking supplements and said their condition was due to that, you would dismiss his concerns, right?

I'm not going into the science of it here but if you look up any articles in PubMed or Google Scholar, you'll find that your opinion is outdated.

• Advertisement

Watching the documentary on Setanta,brilliant stuff

Very humble man Jonah Lomu is coming across as,a gentle giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Watching the documentary on Setanta,brilliant stuff

Very humble man Jonah Lomu is coming across as,a gentle giant.

Watching it myself what's the lump on his left bicep?

Was wondering that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

R.I.P Jonah Lomu.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

RIP Jonah probably my favourite ever player.
    He also lent his name to the greatest rugby video game ever, spent hours in college playing Jonah Lomu rugby on the playstation with my mates

RIP Jonah probably my favourite ever player.
    He also lent his name to the greatest rugby video game ever, spent hours in college playing Jonah Lomu rugby on the playstation with my mates

Without doubt it was the best rugby game ever,the commentary was brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭gavdolfini

“I’m really lucky, I’ve already lived more in one lifetime than many would in six or seven lifetimes, for me, the important thing is to ask ‘can you look in the mirror and say you’ve done everything to enjoy life?’.”

R.I.P Jonah Lomu :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Very disappointed to hear this. I trained with him and a few of his star-studded teammates when I was a teenager. I remember two things about that day. Firstly, he had something very weird poking out of gigantic calfs; something resembling a golf ball. Secondly, he was relatively shy. Even in the company of a bunch of teens who basically looked upon him as a god, he didn't say anything that wasn't related to the rugby drills we were doing.

We were also given tickets to the match, because they were in Ireland to play us, and I remember him flattening the naive Shane Horgan, who bent down, led with his shoulder as if it was any other winger running at him. Problem was, it wasn't any other winger. It was a freakishly strong, freakishly quick freight train who ran straight through him.

I've seen tributes referring him to as the first superstar of rugby, which is absolutely accurate, but will we ever see someone like him again? Has there been anyone since? People standing 6'5 and weighing 18 or 19 stone are not supposed to be wingers; nor are they supposed to be so much faster than their opposite numbers, but he was. Dunno. This is just terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Him running over Mike Catt is one of the most iconic scenes in rugby union. The guy was something else, sympathies to his wife and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Pseudoaneurysm, apparently. Possibly caused by dialysis.

Advertisement