Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,516 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's not uncommon for prisoners to be transferred to their country of citizenship, AFAIK, possibly through a prisoner exchange or something.

usually when they are near the end of their sentence. that wont be for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Is there any word on where his sentence will be served? No doubt it will cost a ridiculous amount of money to the NZ taxpayer. Hopefully there's a way he can be sent back to Aussie to rot.

He'll serve it in NZ, and why shouldn't he? He commited the crime in NZ, NZ get to punish him. The monetary cost of that is negligible in the larger scheme of things really, and part of the normal cost of a functioning society.

Countries don't deport people to serve sentences elsewhere. Occasionally a prisoner will be sent back to their own country during their sentence to serve the remainder of their time on compassionate grounds. Or they get deported after they've served their sentence. But it's entirely normal and right for a country to imprison someone themselves, regardless of their nationality.

John Shaw, Ireland's longest serving prisoner at 44 years inside and counting, is English.

He'll serve it in NZ, and why shouldn't he? He commited the crime in NZ, NZ get to punish him. The monetary cost of that is negligible in the larger scheme of things really, and part of the normal cost of a functioning society.

It's estimated he will cost the state over $3m in the next 2 years alone. It may be negligible compared to other things, but when compared to the normal cost of housing a prisoner, it's astronomical.

Regardless, it's good to know he's been given the most extreme punishment ever handed out in NZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Will he be in solitary confinement?
    We could be looking at 50 years of incarceration here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Gael23 wrote: »
    Will he be in solitary confinement?
    We could be looking at 50 years of incarceration here

He might need to. I assume that he will be serving his time Paremoremo and there are a few characters in there that would love to get their hands a white supremacist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m not sure I agree with the lock them up and throw away the key sort of justice but I suppose there are always exceptions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m not sure I agree with the lock them up and throw away the key sort of justice but I suppose there are always exceptions

What would your punishment be for him so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Is there any word on where his sentence will be served? No doubt it will cost a ridiculous amount of money to the NZ taxpayer. Hopefully there's a way he can be sent back to Aussie to rot.

I'm sure there are a few Kiwis doing time in Australian prisons so I imagine it balances out.

Funnily people who always dig up the taxpayer argument were the same ones who were vehemently opposed to Michaela Collum Connolly being returned to Ireland to serve her sentence and were licking their lips at her doing time in a tough Lima prison and the Peruvian taxpayer be damned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I'm sure there are a few Kiwis doing time in Australian prisons so I imagine it balances out..
    thought AU is deporting lots of them tho - or no ?

but on this, does NZ make an exception for him now (as in, does he meet the usual residency requirements where a non-national is not deported at all ?)

• Advertisement
Advertisement