Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out for renovation

Options
  • 20-11-2019 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hi there. We will have to move out of our home in Dublin 7 for a renovation next spring for approx 3 months. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to secure temporary accommodation - I haven't rented in this climate and I know properties are at a premium. We ideally need to stay in the area for play school and work purposes. So far I see options as:
    - put notes through all neighbours doors in case anyone is in a position to offer a short term let
    - rent normally and break the lease early losing a month's security deposit
    Obviously I would prefer to secure a short term let and not mess anyone around. I also know it is difficult to secure properties for rent in general if the papers are to believed.
    Has anyone any tips or ideas - how do people usually do this?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Good luck with that, unfortunately.
    I think your only option may be to try agree short terms with something on Airbnb.
    Not many properties available for long term
    Let’s, never mind 3 months, possibly 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

maxsmum wrote: »
    - rent normally and break the lease early losing a month's security deposit

You need to watch this in the current market, not unusual for 2 or 3 months up front.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The other problem is timelines, renovations can and do go over the estimated time due to unforeseen issues and extra work. So be careful of telling a landlord you definitely need it for 3 months only when it could be longer. Last thing you want is to end up in a hotel for a month if it goes over schedule. Airbnb properties would be your best chance, even at that you might have to consider moving away from D7.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Time Clause in the contract..

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

BryanF wrote: »
    Time Clause in the contract..

Hi thanks, can you explain a bit more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP given you're looking for a 3 month rental it might be an idea to approach local estate agents letting them know your circumstances. I would suggest offering for all 3 months rent to be paid upfront along with the deposit. This might be attractive to some landlords. I would also be prepared to pay a premium over the normal market rates for such a short term let. What you are after is possible but it will take some leg work on your behalf. Your idea of dropping leaflets into neighbours might not turn up anything but it is also worth a shot.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

maxsmum wrote: »
    Hi thanks, can you explain a bit more?

When your arch, Eng or Qs is preparing the contract, add a clause providing a monetary penalty if they run later than the agreed date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭monseiur

Would a mobile home fit beside or at the back of your house or a family members house ? It could be temporarily connected to existing sewerage, water ESB etc. 38' x 12' one for sale in Co Down for €2,000 and a bigger one in Newbridge, Co Kildare for €5,000 (Just examples of what's available) You'll get most of your money back when you resell + saving on rent, deposits etc. Or set it up in Wexford and use as a holiday home.....if you have any change left after rebuild :D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

monseiur wrote: »
    Would a mobile home fit beside or at the back of your house or a family members house ? It could be temporarily connected to existing sewerage, water ESB etc. 38' x 12' one for sale in Co Down for €2,000 and a bigger one in Newbridge, Co Kildare for €5,000 (Just examples of what's available) You'll get most of your money back when you resell + saving on rent, deposits etc. Or set it up in Wexford and use as a holiday home.....if you have any change left after rebuild :D

Oh thanks but it wouldn't work. Only moving out as we have a small child and he has asthma. If it was just us we would do it! Great advice though!

Advertisement