Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LPT - Registration/Exemption

• 27-11-2019 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I've just started to sift through the revenue site to read up on LPT obligations.
    I haven't (yet) come across answers to some question I have so maybe someone on here can help out.

Properties that were self-built between 1 January and 1 May 2013 are exempt until the end of 2019 if used as your sole or main residence. If the property is subsequently sold, the exemption no longer applies.
    Properties that are self-built after 1 May 2013 and before 1 November 2019 are not liable for LPT until 2019 (even if sold again in that period).

I started my self-build, commencing in 2013 (Nov I think). Only in 2019 have I gotten around to getting the property signed-off by overseeing engineer. Overall I think the property qualifies for an exemption from LPT.

The language in the above statements from revenue is subtlety different. The first statement has the term 'end of 2019', whereas the second is 'until 2019'. I'm assuming the latter applies in my case, but am confused. Example, if a property was built just before end of Nov 2019, surely that would mean property is not liable until end of 2019...otherwise LPT would have been due before build was complete.

Second question; what is meant by 'built'. Is it the date of build commencement, the date ESB is connected, the date you move in, or the date the house is signed-off in accordance with regs, or other?

Third; to qualify for an exemption in the first place, I think I would have to have submitted an LPT return. Is this correct?

Advertisement