Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much money did the PIRA have?

Options
  • 01-07-2017 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Any idea how much the PIRA had in their heyday? I saw some guy on the Sunday World who got busted in a RIRA weapons sting. The weapons deal was in the region of 1 million USD. Seems like a considerable amount for a small organization.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

FireFoxBoy wrote: »
    Seems like a considerable amount for a small organization.
    An organisation that was into bank robbery, smuggling, extortion, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭FireFoxBoy

If the RIRA has that, then Provos must have had a lot more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

An interesting book on Terrorist/Insurgent organisational problems is "The Terrorist Dilemma" - while it only AFAIR dealt peripherally with the IRA it did go into the issues that a typical group like those have in gathering, storing and trusting other people with spending money. One workaround was to have foreign backers, such as the Libyans acted in the 1980s for the PIRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Any idea how much the PIRA had in their heyday? I saw some guy on the Sunday World who got busted in a RIRA weapons sting. The weapons deal was in the region of 1 million USD. Seems like a considerable amount for a small organization.

Why don't you do a 'freedom of information' search? And, what's with your use of tense - they haven't gone away you know and I'm damn sure they didn't decommission their funds as part of the GFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭FireFoxBoy

Del.Monte wrote: »

Why don't you do a 'freedom of information' search? And, what's with your use of tense - they haven't gone away you know and I'm damn sure they didn't decommission their funds as part of the GFA.
    what exactly is that?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Between 1970 - 1998 probably close to the 100 million mark. On the 3 shipments that came from Libya in the mid - late 80's there was a token $2,000,000 on board one ship.

They bought thousands of AR-18 & AR-15, M1 Carbines, Heckler & Koch, CAR-15's & M16 rifles from the States usually supplied with pistols like Brownings & Smith & Wessons. In the early 1970's George Harrison spent an estimated US$1 million purchasing 2,500 - 3,000 rifles,revolvers & pistols for the IRA. They also got a number a M60 GPMG's in 1977 which they used to kill one of the highest ranking SAS officers during the war.

In the 80's they got around 40 RPG-7's, hundereds maybe thousands of AK47's, AKM's, Tauras pistols & MP5's. They also got dozens of FN MAG's, DShK HMG's, Atleast seven Military Flame Throwers (which was used on the the assault on the Derryard checkpoint in 1989). 20 SAM7's & tones of Semtex H.

They also got a large number of other weapons around Europe like the Vigneron SMG, VZ 58 rifles, G3A3's LMG, FN FNC rifles and a number of of pistols & revolvers.

There was also the famous Barret M82 & M90 sniping rifles used in South Armagh during the 1990's.

But the IRA never needed half of these weapons or the cash to buy them. Their most successful attacks (Narrow Water ambush, Balleygalley bus bombing, Newry 85 mortar attack) all used homemade, manufactured IRA weapons.
    For instance a British military bomb disposal expert who worked for NSY estimated it would have taken the IRA about £500 to have cariied out the April 1993 Bishopsgate bombing which devasted Britains financial center & caused about £400,000,000 of damage.

For instance a British military bomb disposal expert who worked for NSY estimated it would have taken the IRA about £500 to have cariied out the April 1993 Bishopsgate bombing which devasted Britains financial center & caused about £400,000,000 of damage.
    While it may have involved £500 of fertiliser, when you factor in vehicles, fuel, transport, personnel, timers / fuses / primers, safe houses, failed missions and time in prison, etc. things soon add up.

Victor wrote: »
    While it may have involved £500 of fertiliser, when you factor in vehicles, fuel, transport, personnel, timers / fuses / primers, safe houses, failed missions and time in prison, etc. things soon add up.

I don't know about all that but the Scotland yard fella explains Bishopsgate cost at around 4:00 in to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Personal,safe houses and time in jail etc wouldve been free i would have taught??

• Advertisement

Personal,safe houses and time in jail etc wouldve been free i would have taught??
    Perhaps 'free at point of use', but not free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

The estimated annual cost of running the Provos campaign during the late 80s and 90s was about 2m sterling. A large part of this cost was made up of payments to the dependents of people who had been imprisoned and to IRA members who were on the run. Arms procurement was a relatively minor expense after Gaddafi donated huge quantities of arms.

Afraid I can't remember the source for this figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

I heard lots of stories of property investments linked back to Provo funding:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/provo-businessmen-fronted-property-drive-26739427.html

AH Thread?

The estimated annual cost of running the Provos campaign during the late 80s and 90s was about 2m sterling. A large part of this cost was made up of payments to the dependents of people who had been imprisoned and to IRA members who were on the run. Arms procurement was a relatively minor expense after Gaddafi donated huge quantities of arms.

Afraid I can't remember the source for this figure.

I'd say that's probably about right, after all between 10,000 - 15,000 IRA volunteers went to prison during the conflict usually doing long time.

I'd say that's probably about right, after all between 10,000 - 15,000 IRA volunteers went to prison during the conflict usually doing long time.

So on average, they got £160 each?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

From Gerry Bradley's book, Insider: Gerry Bradley's Life in the IRA
    In the seventies, volunteers got nothing from the IRA except expenses -say if they needed a taxi to move gear...

Later in the eighties, when it was clear that there was no end in sight for the campaign, an IRA volunteer received 20£ a week. That sum remained the same right up to the Good Friday Agreement. That was less than a third of the average industrial wage in 1980 and by the 1990s it was laughable, an impossible sum with which to support a family. To put it in perspective the average weekly wage in the North in 1998 was around 280£. In the seventies, prisoners' families got 5£ a week for a married man and 3£ a week for a single man from the Prisoners' Dependants Fund, rising to the giddy heights of 10£ and 5£ respectively in the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

that is a huge amount of people !

Where did you get that very wide ranging figure from? How many were repeat offenders?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Where did you get that very wide ranging figure from? How many were repeat offenders?

Ed Moloney in his his 2002 book on th PIRA esitmated over 10,000 IRA volunteers where imprisoned at various times during the conflict.

Eamonn Mallie & Patrick Bishop in their 1988 book claimed 10,000 had been imprisoned and that was in 1988, 9 years before their final ceasefire.

Gerry Kelly said in an interview that around 30,000 passed through the IRA during the whole period of the conflict.

So I'd 10,000 - 15,000 is about right or close enough anyway.

• Advertisement

From what I'm aware they didn't get anything.

Brendan Hughes who spent a good few years on active service said volunteers had to find their own incomes, they maybe got money if they needed some to go towards an operation or something but that was it.

I think the Northern bank job in 2004 was suppose to be a pension for a few hundered top people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

From what I'm aware they didn't get anything.

Brendan Hughes who spent a good few years on active service
    said volunteers had to find their own incomes, they maybe got money if they
    needed some to go towards an operation or something but that was it.

So you think IRA men on the run also had to have a part time job!?

I think the Northern bank job in 2004 was suppose to be a pension for a few
    hundered top people.

Everyone knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

I am reminded of a quote allegedly attributed to the bold Brendan Behan while watching the march past of The War of Independence and 1916 survivors in 1966

Impressed by the numbers he stated "By God weren't the black and tans a fierce brave little body of men"

So you think IRA men on the run also had to have a part time job!?

No.

I already said they would have been given money to go towards operations & stuff like that, but they had safe houses stay in very few on the runs actually slept rough maybe people like Francis Hughes, Brendan Hughes, Martin Meehan etc... those types of people who were very active might have slept in fields & barns the odd time.

I suppose the ASU's in England & Europe would have had money sent to them to keep them going & to keep their cover safe.

Another example, The INLA estimated that the explosives used in the bomb to kill Airey Neave cost £5.12. (Deadly Divisions, Henry McDonald & Jack Holland pg 139). It seems most of the money Volunteers got came from prisoner fund raising organizations.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

donaghs wrote: »
    I heard lots of stories of property investments linked back to Provo funding:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/provo-businessmen-fronted-property-drive-26739427.html

Pubs were common enough investments and laundry setups for both the PIRA and OIRA - the requirement to have a tax clearance cert to renew a liquor licence was introduced to try limit this

L1011 wrote: »
    Pubs were common enough investments and laundry setups for both the PIRA and OIRA - the requirement to have a tax clearance cert to renew a liquor licence was introduced to try limit this

The Sticks had alot of pubs & clubs around Belfast in the 1970's they were in to pretty much all types of racketeering including the running of "massage parlours". During the first PIRA/OIRA feud in 71, Charlie Hughes (Brendan Hughes' cousin) led D-Company on several raids on Sticky owned clubs & pubs and burned a few to the ground. Which is why Charlie Hughes was eventually killed by the Officials, it was rumored Joe McCann was the gunman who shot him.

Alot of the most well known racketeers joined the INLA & eventually ended up in the IPLO which by the early 90's was just a collection of Belfast gangsters & some sectarian nutters, but they did find a way around the tax clearance cert issue which was to just demand money from club owners or they would destroy their business, they firebombed a huge club and then shot a security guard who worked their for not paying them just before the Provos wiped them out. They also shot dead a snooker club owner for not paying them & who they deemed a "enemy of the revolution".
    This was all pretty much Jimmy Brown's thinking & strange reasoning who also got them into the drugs trade and Jimmy was living in a fantasy land at the time who had outlined a strategy for himself to win Gerry Adam's West Belfast seat, become the voice of Republican politics, then over take the SDLP & become the face of Nationalist Ireland being in the White House on Paddy's day, convince Loyalists to join him & within in 10 years the IPLO would rule Ireland as a Marxist-Leninist state, unfortunately for Jimmy he was shot a few weeks after he came up with his fool-proof plan by the even crazier Sammy Ward who was shot himself a few weeks later.

Advertisement