Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-07-2019, 12:22   #316
L1011

The only repeat cause in my tree would be TB (usually down as phthisis) but that was rampant in Ireland at the time
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-07-2019, 15:01   #317
Jellybaby1

Yes indeed, then was then, this is now. I've come across records of people at 70 years of age dying of 'old age'. They really didn't know what they died of. I'm nearly that age now!! I'm glad this is now.
Thanks from:
17-07-2019, 19:22   #318
Deja Boo

I come across alot of senility listed on old death certificates, this is distressing.
17-07-2019, 20:17   #319
Vetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Boo View Post
I come across alot of senility listed on old death certificates, this is distressing.
This may just mean old age. It doesn't necessarily mean some type of dementia if that happens to be the meaning you're taking out of it.
(4) thanks from:
17-07-2019, 20:29   #320
Deja Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetch View Post
This may just mean old age. It doesn't necessarily mean some type of dementia if that happens to be the meaning you're taking out of it.
Oh good to learn! dementia was my concern indeed (in every instance), thank you Vetch!
Advertisement
19-07-2019, 14:10   #321
Barney224

does anyone else find that captcha check and sign in really annoying on civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie ? What's the purpose of it?
19-07-2019, 16:49   #322
Hermy

Yes, it's a nuisance at the best of times.

But when I'm logged into my Gmail account I don't get asked to solve them.
19-07-2019, 20:34   #323
pinkypinky

You've mentioned that before Hermy but it doesn't happen for me and I'm always logged into my gmail.

It is a PITA.
20-07-2019, 00:33   #324
Deja Boo

The captcha things always come up, whether I am logged into my google account or not.
Advertisement
20-07-2019, 08:38   #325
pedroeibar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
You've mentioned that before Hermy but it doesn't happen for me and I'm always logged into my gmail.

It is a PITA.

Always happens to me also, even when signed in to Google. It might be tied to specific browsers? For the captcha I need only tick, I don't get images. I also put 'a' and 'a' in the next screen, boxes for the Section 61 compliance. Enforcing this two step procedure is silly when it can be circumvented falsely. It is a stupid requirement, but the site is free and it is easier & faster than a slog into Werburgh St.
(2) thanks from:
20-07-2019, 10:43   #326
Earnest

The purpose of the captcha is presumably to repel web-crawlers. There might be an argument as to why people might be misled if the results appeared on google or were put on a subscription service. However, a more definite reason is that a web-crawler might monopolise the server on which the database operates and produce unacceptably long waits for real users.
(3) thanks from:
20-07-2019, 11:06   #327
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroeibar1 View Post
...For the captcha I need only tick, I don't get images...
That's what I get too when signed in. I still have to tick the box on the webpage the Captcha appears but the Captcha itself doesn't appear.
Thanks from:
20-07-2019, 17:41   #328
pinkypinky

I get the American images.
20-07-2019, 21:57   #329
tabbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
I get the American images.
And American terminology.
Thanks from:
20-07-2019, 22:53   #330
pedroeibar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnest View Post
The purpose of the captcha is presumably to repel web-crawlers. There might be an argument as to why people might be misled if the results appeared on google or were put on a subscription service. However, a more definite reason is that a web-crawler might monopolise the server on which the database operates and produce unacceptably long waits for real users.
I cannot see any coherent argument on why 'they' have that design. With an efficient algorithm and a bit of machine learning any web crawler would easily overcome the captcha on the Irishgeno site; if anyone wanted the data a simple hack would get it for them.(Look for e.g. what the Israelis are doing to Google/Facebook and cloud storage! - and add to that the Russians and the Chinese). Also, common sense would suggest that the Section 61 compliance box should not need to be repeated for continuous searches.

The simple fact is the Irishgenealogy site has a crap design because the Irish Civil Service has an absolutely deplorable record with managing IT. Just look at the shambles of voting machines, the HSE 'systems', the flawed Garda PULSE system, the isolated Companies Registration Office, Financial Regulation sites, etc. Most Govt. Departmental systems cannot even communicate with each other. If they cannot manage their own internal communications how can they be expected to be customer focused?

It is sickening to hear politicos waffle on the importance of information and communication technology (ICT), about Ireland Inc. being a leader in ICT economies, particularly when most of what has been designed by them is not not fit for purpose, is not integrated and is not machine readable. And users, like me, can do nothing about it because if you open your mouth and complain there will be retribution.

Rant over.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion