Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Air Fryer (Amazon.uk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I eventually cleaned mine, it took longer than cleaning my whole apartment, I'm more careful now.

In 4 years+ of almost daily use I've never cleaned the inside of it. I clean the basket about once a week or so, its just too much work cleaning it after every use.

It does smoke when its not cleaned but to get over this I have a table setup outside and I leave it outside for cooking and bring it in again after. Only issue is if its raining.

I'm actually planning to come up with a vent to attach to it like you would have on a vented dryer that you could just hang out the window on one end and cover the airfryer extraction vent on the other thus diverting all some outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

In 4 years+ of almost daily use I've never cleaned the inside of it. I clean the basket about once a week or so, its just too much work cleaning it after every use.

It does smoke when its not cleaned but to get over this I have a table setup outside and I leave it outside for cooking and bring it in again after. Only issue is if its raining.

I'm actually planning to come up with a vent to attach to it like you would have on a vented dryer that you could just hang out the window on one end and cover the airfryer extraction vent on the other thus diverting all some outside.

I dont clean it after every use, but once a week for sure. I spray it with elbow grease, leave it to sit for a while and then bang it in the dishwasher. Couldnt be easier. Not sure if they are 'dishwasher safe' but i can confirm no issues with mine at all, as i said in a previous post 5 years later still going strong

If anyone spots a bargain alert for the XL maybe they could post in here as there is a good few of us looking for one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

that sounds like exponentially more effort. I clean it every couple of weeks when it gets smokey, takes about 5 mins if you just soak the basket first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

mel123 wrote: »
    I dont clean it after every use, but once a week for sure. I spray it with elbow grease, leave it to sit for a while and then bang it in the dishwasher. Couldnt be easier. Not sure if they are 'dishwasher safe' but i can confirm no issues with mine at all, as i said in a previous post 5 years later still going strong

If anyone spots a bargain alert for the XL maybe they could post in here as there is a good few of us looking for one

https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/ninja-foodi-dual-zone-air-fryer-af300uk/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I had the Phillips all along and my latest one for around 3 years changed to a ninja foodie last year and what a machine. It does everything. Has air fryer, pressure cooker , grill function, keep warm and slow cocker all in one .. does a whole large chicken in 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

how long does it take to do chips?

mel123 wrote: »

that sounds like exponentially more effort. I clean it every couple of weeks when it gets smokey, takes about 5 mins if you just soak the basket first

I clean the basket and base about once a week I thought people were referring to the element inside etc?

I use it to cook my frys a few times a week so even after one use its smokey on the next use so more comfort in using it outside. Its pretty much zero effort for the 10 seconds it takes to leave it outside and same to bring it back in.

We had to stop putting it in the dishwasher as everything else in the dishwasher and the dishwasher itself was coming out dirty and greasy after being in with the airfryer even on the highest cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I throw mine in the dishwasher after most uses , usually leave it soak for a few mins first . Still in perfect shape after 3 years. I wipe out the inside to get any splatters etc.

I dont cook alot of fatty foods regularly in it so that helps. Mostly use it for homemade chips or wedges coated with a drop of olive oil.

• Advertisement

It’s a lot easier to clean if you only use it for chips, I see my parents only ever wipe it with a wet cloth after use and that’s the only cleaning it gets.

I cook sausages, rashers etc a few times a week in it, burgers, goujons etc along with chips, roasted patatoes that would be well oiled and so on. After about a weeks use I’ll soak it and clean it in the sink but at this stage it’s impossible to fully clean it, there is always a film of grease even after the dishwasher (in the base I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I clean out loose crud from the bottom but mine is a total state, if I was forced to clean it as much as some people do I would simply not bother using it. Mine sits on the hob so it has a fan above it.

It would take sand blasting to clean mine, it is caked on like a burnt up bbq. There is not much smoke though, if fat does build up around it I boil water in it which cleans some off, then leave it out the back on full heat with nothing in it for 30mins, this burns off anything which will potentially smoke, similar to what some do with a BBQ.

The burnt on crud is not really doing anything other than looking bad, its not going to go mouldy as its sterilized and dried out by the unit.

Some dissolve a dishwashing tablet in the basket and leave it soak, I think there are oven cleaning fluids in dealz which are cheap enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Doesn't everyone just do what I do and put some tinfoil in the base to catch all the crud?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have never noticed any "smoking" from my xxl, nothing at all.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Doesn't everyone just do what I do and put some tinfoil in the base to catch all the crud?

I'd imagine it would impact the performance since the base is designed to help with air circulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'd imagine it would impact the performance since the base is designed to help with air circulation.

Maybe but I don't notice any differences

It makes it slower and cook more on the top vs underneath so you have to flip the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

That's not an air fryer.

I have the standard one and my only complaint is its too small. I would definitely be looking at the biggest one available when I'm going to replace this one.

As an aside does anyone have a good source for replacemnt parts at a reasonable cost? The mechanism that holds the basket to the base doesn't work anymore on mine so I have to lift the whole base in and out if I just hold the handle the base will just fall off. Its from a lot of use and not very regular cleaning....

The baskets are nearly the price of an airfryer on amazon last time I checked.

Yes it is and it’s miles better then the previous Morphy Richards One I had previously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

Im putting sometimes baking paper under food just a bit bigger but im try to leave gaps for air circulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

Just in case anyone was waiting on the 4.3l Tower Air Fryer to drop to £29.99 on amazon again it just did.
    Prob wont last long.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tower-Circulation-Technology-Adjustable-Temperature/dp/B077B9X3SB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Half eggcup of water in the airfryer during cooking works wonders for smoke prevention.

Spare baskets, handles etc....cheaper to buy OEM (unusually enough). I’ve changed my 2 baskets in the standard and the XL.

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/CP9677_01/airfryer-basket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Have read a lot of posts about these airfryers on here. Just wondering what cooking time is like for chips as against what the chip packet says?

We've a fan oven, new one and half decent, but it has never cooked chips in anything remotely like the cooking time listed on the packet, have tried all different brands and all the same.... Everything else cooks perfectly in the recommended time! It's just oven chips. So I'm tempted to buy an air Fryer for this reason alone. Grateful for any views

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Think mccains frozen oven chips in 25 mins from frozen on 200.Dont forget to give basket a shake half way through

I do my steak in a halogen oven at 220 for about the same amount of time but love very thick steaks.

Onion rings also in air fryer with chips and need to be watched at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

For thin frozen oven chips I pre-heat the air fryer for 3 minutes and cook them for 12 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Are they any good or is this one too small?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Zane97 wrote: »
    Are they any good or is this one too small?

I've used the small version for about 5 years and it does...just about...two people. For some dinners with multiple items that can be airfried, its a bit small.

I am in the market for a larger one, but how do people handle the 2 pin plug? Seems a little daft to use a bulky converter and I don't really want to invalidate the warranty by replacing the plug myself with a 3 pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Mine came with a 3 pin plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

greasepalm wrote: »
    Mine came with a 3 pin plug.

When ordering from amazon.de?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

sternn wrote: »
    When ordering from amazon.de?

Ya.... that’s a deal breaker fo me too,,

Advertisement