Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Echo Dot (3rd Gen) - €30.99 (or potentially FREE upgrade if you own 2nd Gen)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    I completed the online form to sell it but then its saying to send it in the post, can i just walk in with the reference number and deliver it to the shop that way, does anyone know?

When you go to store you will have to join so bring photo id and proof of address

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Thank op
    Traded mine in in the CEX store in Blackpool cork. They had to test so had to wait an hour. The gen3 is a big step up over the gen 2 in sound quality. Great free upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

Hi All just got my new toy and I feel like theres soo much that can be done with it.. I just realized I can control my T.V with it. What are the top things to try out on it??

Cheers OP great find

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

audi02 wrote: »
    Hi All just got my new toy and I feel like theres soo much that can be done with it.. I just realized I can control my T.V with it. What are the top things to try out on it??

Cheers OP great find

Have a browse here : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057668556

Fishy1 wrote: »

Brill cheers that'll pass the nite....or the weekend!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,778 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tweaky wrote: »
    The gen3 is a big step up over the gen 2 in sound quality.
    Very bassy out of the box, but can be tweaked!

Huge improvement though for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Great deal, my new kitchen radio. Loads of them left in Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭jc77

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Great deal, my new kitchen radio. Loads of them left in Dundrum.

Is the sound good from it?
    Is it worth a buy even if not connecting external speakers to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Will this work without the Alexa or is that necessary for the echo dot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭wassie

Unfortunately not - it is essentially a small smart speaker powered by Alexa - unless you register it with an Amazon Alexa account it wont have any functionality.
    jc77 wrote: »

Depends what you are wanting it for - sound is fine for listening at low levels or backround noise/music, but don't expect to to be more than that sound wise. If you are looking for a quality of sound, you will need to go for a bigger speaker.

Lifewire have a good review on what the Amazon Echo Dot is.
    https://www.lifewire.com/amazon-dot-4149509

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

Will this work without the Alexa or is that necessary for the echo dot?

It has Alexa built into it. It can work on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Anyone know what CEX are paying for the 3rd gen Echo Dot? No mention of it on their website

Skuxx wrote: »
    Anyone know what CEX are paying for the 3rd gen Echo Dot? No mention of it on their website
    If you go in, they'll send off a request and they'll hear typically within minutes.

UK site has them for £21/£18 for A/B condition.. so not great I'd say..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Just got 3 from argos.
    Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Multiform music here I come

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Nice one Basq.

Had a 1st Gen Chromecast that i sold for €20 (thought it was worth about €8).

Cheap Dot

thanks basq and moonboy - i have 2 1st gen chromecasts sitting in a drawer -

another echo dot for me then!

just to say, on first listen the sound quality from the 3rd gen is far better than the 2nd - fine for a small room or bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I have 2 in white reserved in Argos Dundalk, ordered from Littlewoods instead with some other stuff to use a birthday discount code so if anyone wants the reservation number then send me a pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

I find Google Assistant to be superior than Alexa when it come to understanding commands or getting information. The new dot sounds better than the mini, but neither of them sound great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

jc77 wrote: »

I think they sound terrific, already have the Echo which sounds fantastic and fills a room.

The Echo dot sounds nearly as good but just a bit less meaty/volume which is understandable considering its size and price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

For anyone thinking of getting smart controls to your heating system.

Hive have 25% off their hive kit so it’s €150 delivered.
    You also get a voucher for a free echo gen 2 which you use on amazon.
    So order the gen 2, sell to Cex and you’ll get the upgrade to gen 3 for only €10.

https://www.hivehome.com/ie/products/hive-active-heating-self-install/buy?data_layer_product_load=true

CEX have altered their pricing now.
    You only get €21.

• Advertisement

Am I the only person whos shocked that the dot has to be left plugged in?!

Am I the only person whos shocked that the dot has to be left plugged in?!
    Would you rather it be battery charged? :confused:

Basq wrote: »
    Would you rather it be battery charged? :confused:

I just presumed itd be like all wireless speakers these days ....so me been the clown I am plugged it out, left it on the kitchen island and was roarin "Alexa" for about 10 minutes before I copped!

Picked one up in Ashbourne today.
    Thanks OP.

I have a Gen 2 coming as part of a deal with my Hive thermostat kit so I’ll decide whether to keep one, or any of them over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭jc77

I think they sound terrific, already have the Echo which sounds fantastic and fills a room.

The Echo dot sounds nearly as good but just a bit less meaty/volume which is understandable considering its size and price.

I bought one & am impressed with it. So far, I only use it for playing radio stations in kitchen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

The cost of the Home isn't justified for the meagre sound improvement it has over the Mini. That money would be spent on better speakers and a Chromecast audio.

Anyone see any smart plugs on offer for black Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

These work perfectly with Alexa. Not sure if the discount code works anymore but the device can be got from AliExpress etc for cheap enough.

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057901944

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Basq wrote: »
    So, a little tip for ye this morning..

Argos are selling the Echo Dot 3rd Gen for a very reasonable €30.99.

https://m.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?searchTerms=Echo%2520dot

But if you own a 2nd Gen, CEX will currently give you €31 for A condition (now you'll need original box for that price) or €27 for B condition (no box).

So, potentially free or €4 depending if you've box or not.

Just picked up my dot this evening. Very impressive audio from this little thing, I have the standard echo and this performs very well in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Hang tight, I got TP link smart plugs in the last Black Friday sale for 12 quid each, they’ll surely reduce some this year too. Great invention, have mine hooked up to the electric blanket :)

Advertisement