Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OneBigSwitch.ie Bulk Buying for Electricity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

10% discount in year 1* on lowest standard electricity prices in Ireland^
    5% discount in year 2*
    you'll receive €80 cash back at the end of 12 months
    No exit fees or lock in period

† This is an estimated saving in the first year for a typical 3-bedroom household who use 5,300 kWh per year. All usage is assumed on a 24 Hour Urban Tariff. The savings figure is the estimated savings figures if such a household switched from the standard tariff to this special offer and includes the €80 cashback. Source: Bord Gáis Energy.

* 10% Discount T's & C's
    10% Discount off the Bord Gáis Energy standard unit rates for 12 months and 5% thereafter when you sign up to to this special offer. €80 cash-back is credited at the end of 12 months. You must continue to pay by Level Pay and paperless billing to avail of this offer.

^ Lowest Standard Electricity Prices T's & C's
    Lowest standard electricity prices in Ireland based on competitor prices on 06/02/14 and Bord Gáis Energy prices on 01/03/14. (Residential urban 24-hour tariff unit rate of 18.77 cent per kwh with estimated consumption of 5,300 kilowatt hours and annual standing charge of €149.41). Source: Bord Gáis Energy.

One Big Switch will earn a commission from Bord Gáis Energy for each person who takes up this Special Offer.

Pretty sure you'd get 10% off switching on your own, that 5% is kinda pointless in the second year as you'd probably get a better deal by switching again. That 10% is only off the unit rates as well. You get the €80 back at the end of the year.

Also, mine was for leccy only.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyway I think everyone knows that by switching yourself you can typically get 9-11% off for the first 12 months.

Good to hear that its going ahead and will be of interest to 50k prospective customers. Re the typical discount- its 14% with BG and prior to that I had 15% off Electric Ireland (or whatever the hell they're called now).

Even with the headline discount- I'd still suggest shopping around- there are better deals to be gotten- but educate yourself as to what offers are currently running- and what suits your own particular circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Seriously disappointed, thought they would be buying from electric Ireland, they are playing middle man , t & c, right at bottom, one big switch receive commission from bord ghais, f$$k off

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadimmortal

"One Big Switch will earn a commission from Bord Gáis Energy for each person who takes up this Special Offer." WOW that was a cleaver business trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

One Big Con lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

This was just on the six o clock news. They are up to 45,000 sign ups and now have their first offer available for switching to Bord Gais- 10% off your energy prices plus €80 cash back. I didn't hear the nitty gritty of it but think they said T&Cs involve paying by direct debit and paying a flat rate bill for 12 months. I'm not sure when you get the €80 cash back.

Anyway I think everyone knows that by switching yourself you can typically get 9-11% off for the first 12 months. This goes one further by putting €80 in your pocket on top of that so on face value I'll be taking advantage of this, once I've checked the T&Cs to make sure there's nothing out of the ordinary in them.

most providers are doing at least 12/12 at the moment, and many giving credit of over 80 to customers whom renew contract. this deal is for mugs who arent shopping around or looking for better deals themselves properly

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

chris1970 wrote: »
    Seriously disappointed, thought they would be buying from electric Ireland, they are playing middle man , t & c, right at bottom, one big switch receive commission from bord ghais, f$$k off

+1 They aren't adding any value whatsoever, simply sucking money out of the system. Flat payments almost always means that for most of the year the utility company has your money in their pockets so I'm not surprised that that's a condition of signing up.

Plus I don't believe they have anywhere near the numbers they are claiming. They advertised for a few days, did a publicity blitz on all the usual radio programs, then nothing, then they expected us to believe they were at 25,000 - pull the other one.

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

most providers are doing at least 12/12 at the moment, and many giving credit of over 80 to customers whom renew contract. this deal is for mugs who arent shopping around or looking for better deals themselves properly

What's 12/12?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 They aren't adding any value whatsoever, simply sucking money out of the system. Flat payments almost always means that for most of the year the utility company has your money in their pockets so I'm not surprised that that's a condition of signing up.

Plus I don't believe they have anywhere near the numbers they are claiming. They advertised for a few days, did a publicity blitz on all the usual radio programs, then nothing, then they expected us to believe they were at 25,000 - pull the other one.

No thanks.

I heard the piece with Oliver Tatton and, while he sounded convincing, I was also wondering if it was a bit of smoke and mirrors.

What is the best current deal? Is it just to shop around on an individual basis?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

What's 12/12?

12% off Gas, 12% off electricity?
    Or- bill equilisation- bill split into equal chunks on a 12 month basis (or if you're with BG 11 months- so you have extra money in December).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

Has anyone heard if they're going to bring in a gas offer? I was expecting them to have both. Tried to use the live chat on their website yesterday but no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Has anyone heard if they're going to bring in a gas offer? I was expecting them to have both. Tried to use the live chat on their website yesterday but no response.

Yes a gas offer is coming too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

My question is how do they truly stack up against the competition when it comes to the cent per kWh and the per day standing charge. It is difficult to properly compare these as they are all changing their prices so often.

I'm a Bord Gais Electricity only customer right now and their website today says that 18.78cent incl VAT is the Urban rate per kWh and the standing charge is €149.41 incl VAT but I understand there might be another price increase in April or is that just a gas price increase?

Electric Irelands seems to be 19.31cent incl VAT but standing charge is €139.61 but these prices will no doubt change very soon too.

Are they not all much of a muchness and the regular price changes/discounts mean that over the course of a year they are all the feckin same?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭J@yK@y

12% off Gas, 12% off electricity

Anyone have a link to this offer?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

J@yK@y wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to this offer?

google is your friend

https://www.airtricity.com/ie/home/products/electricity-and-gas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

As suspected, this is all a big waste of time. Amazing how gullible people can be at times, although with many struggling to cope with bills, it will increase the desperation levels. You can get €40 cashback from BG yourself anyway, well I'm fairly sure you can, I cant be bothered to go and check because I'm with Energia who give a better discount. Electric Ireland are also better. The only thing this OneBigDataMiningScam has provided is an extra €40 saving at the end of the year, everything else is the same. If you want to save money, you would not stay in the second year for a measly 5% saving.

Now it will be interesting to see just how much targeted spam and sales calls all of those who provided details will receive. Post man is going to be very busy I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Any of you already on the 5% discount tariff that BGais were running last year?
    Had a look at the bill there and the discount box has always been blank.
    Their rates are moving to .1654c per unit from March 1st but I don't know what they used to be before that. I am not able to determine if I was even getting the discount. Bill just says Residential Tariff: Urban 24 hour (Dates xxxxx)

Does anyone else have the offer/ tariff and perhaps could tell me what their bill says?

Lets not forget that BG are increasing their prices AGAIN, effective from 17th April!!! Incredible. So you will be getting 10% off their new increased rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Lets not forget that BG are increasing their prices AGAIN, effective from 17th April!!! Incredible. So you will be getting 10% off their new increased rates.

The April increase is on gas . The OBS (one big switch) deal is electricity only.

The overall deal will work out slightly cheaper IF BGas and everyone else keeps their prices the same for 12 months.
    They are relying on people sticking it out for 12 months to get the €80 cashback - but you can be pretty sure prices will increase before the 12 months are up (Probably in October as is usual).

Don't be taken in by those percentage figures. It's 12% off THEIR top price - not 12% off some standard national price.
    A 10% discount at one place can be better than a 12% discount at another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

This was just on the six o clock news. They are up to 45,000 sign ups and now have their first offer available for switching to Bord Gais- 10% off your energy prices plus €80 cash back.

Is it €80 and 10%?

Just received an e-mail quoting this..

Hi Members,

Congratulations! You did it.

The people power of 40,000-plus Irish consumers has succeeded in creating a special discounted electricity offer.

One of Ireland's leading energy companies Bord Gáis Energy is offering:

• 5% discount in year 1 & 2* on lowest standard electricity prices in Ireland^

• €40 cash back after the first year

• No lock in period and no exit fees.

• A level pay payment plan

To calculate what you could save, simply click here. This offer is only available online.

And please spread the word - anyone who joins by midnight April 17 can still access the offer.

We are still working on a group discounted gas offer, which should be available soon.

Good Luck, and Good Switching,

The One Big Switch Team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

As suspected, this is all a big waste of time. Amazing how gullible people can be at times, although with many struggling to cope with bills, it will increase the desperation levels.

Signing up for something to see if it works is not being gullible...signing up was free and you have no obligation to proceed.

So don't patronize people, and I use that word correctly unlike the Term gullible that was incorrectly used.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

PopTarts wrote: »
    Is it €80 and 10%?

[/I]

Maybe you are already with Bord Gais - so a lower discount applies.
    Are you already getting your electricity from Bord Gais?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 staengus

Got that email this morning too (And I'm not a Bord Gais customer) :

• 5% discount in year 1 & 2* on lowest standard electricity prices in Ireland^

• €40 cash back after the first year

Yesterdays email was:
    • 10% discount in year 1* on lowest standard electricity prices in Ireland^

• €80 cash back after the first year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Ogham wrote: »
    Maybe you are already with Bord Gais - so a lower discount applies.
    Are you already getting your electricity from Bord Gais?

Oh I am, that must be the reason.

PopTarts wrote: »
    Oh I am, that must be the reason.

Dont switch to BG, switch to Electric Ireland or Energia, staying with BG is not the cheapest option.

The entire thing is beyond a joke.

Signing up for something to see if it works is not being gullible...signing up was free and you have no obligation to proceed.

So don't patronize people, and I use that word correctly unlike the Term gullible that was incorrectly used.

Having given my choice of words some 'deep thought', I have decided that it is exactly the right word to convey what I think of it.

Slick marketing targeted at desperate consumers who mainly are very confused about the whole thing. Its the same as Prepay Power and Pinergy, all designed to exploit peoples desperation.

All you need to do is put on some daytime TV and you will be swamped by commercials for insurance claims, quick fix loans and all manner of exploitative scams marketed and offered to societies most vulnerable and gullible members.

Bonkers and Uswitch have been going for a long time, a quick Google provides all of the answers to questions people have. If they inform themselves then they can reduce their chances of being a victim. Having said that, I sold timeshare in Tenerife for 4 years and no matter how much travel agents try and inform them of the risks on the plane and at morning meetings, some people will always be gullible and greed will get the better of them.

If it is too good to be true......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I sold timeshare in Tenerife for 4 years and no matter how much travel agents try and inform them of the risks on the plane and at morning meetings, some people will always be gullible and greed will get the better of them.

If it is too good to be true......

And thats the very reason posters should ignore your advice:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

One after signing and post quite a bit of reading on the site I still confused. Whats this "tesco 2000" points stuff in the chose a deal section ?

And is it 5% off your bill AND a 40 euro pay back or is it just 40euro payback ?

• Advertisement

And thats the very reason posters should ignore your advice:rolleyes:.

Quite the opposite actually, my honesty and inside knowledge of the market is exactly why you should consider the advice I provide. I dont care who switches to which company, I just prefer if people have genuine facts presented to them than some of the wild statements I've read being passed off as facts on here.

Internet forums can be very misleading, I have seen posts from members with a huge post count with loads of "Thanks" from other members who have found the post useful. However often that very post is entirely untrue and people could be making decisions based on it that may harm them financially.

BTW if you have a timeshare you are not happy with, or are finding the maintenance fees are too high and always increasing, I could have the solution just for you. Jump into this waiting taxi here, dont worry its free, its sponsored by the Canarian Consumer Bureau here as they have an interest in ensuring that people are paying a fair price......let me get you a no cost no obligation quote! :D

Advertisement