Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-07-2010, 12:59   #31

Biddy Early of County Clare (1798 -1874)

This is her ruined cottage and she was a healer.

She is buried in Feakle Graveyard but the grave is unmarked but lots of people claim to know the location of a secret grave.

reputedly put on trial as a witch

She outlived 4 husbands -one her son in law

27 priests attended her funeral and she was called a saint by the chief celebrant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biddy_Early

Lady Gregory & Yeats wrote about her but I would love to know the truth factual without the fairy lore.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-07-2010, 13:07   #32
pappyodaniel

W B Yeats is buried in Drumcliff, about 5 miles north of Sligo town on the Bundoran Road. He was originally buried somewhere in France and then moved to Sligo, as was his wishes.
01-07-2010, 13:13   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyodaniel View Post
W B Yeats is buried in Drumcliff, about 5 miles north of Sligo town on the Bundoran Road. He was originally buried somewhere in France and then moved to Sligo, as was his wishes.
aha but there was a mix up over the tomb rental and the bones that came back may not be him at all !!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.hudsonreview.com/PhillipsSp04.html
01-07-2010, 13:29   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlar View Post
Why would you politicise the thread in the first place by excluding some of the most famous Irishmen of all (on the basis that they were republicans) ? While also including politically active non-republicans such as those in the suffragette movement ?
Its for fun and folklore -now if you can find a famous and forgotten Irish Madame or Burlesque Artiste or Sportswoman or Cowboy, Bankrobber or Politician or Gigilo put them in.

No one is stopping you starting your own thread but this one is a Tabloid.
04-07-2010, 11:16   #35

The New York grave of Mrs Gilbert a/k/a Lola Montez from Limerick -one time lover of Franz List and mistress of King Ludwig of Bavaria. Also famous for her Spider Dance.

Advertisement
04-07-2010, 12:40   #36
oncevotedff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDfm View Post
But you had

Ronald W Reagen 40th President of the United States

He has every right to be up there as a rockstar

Ballyporeen FTW
He wasn't Irish.
04-07-2010, 12:43   #37
oncevotedff

Lena Rice buried in New Inn Co. Tipp. Wimbledon Singles winner 1890.

I didn't realise we were supposed to do a little bio so I've added it here;

Quote:
Helena "Lena" Rice, was born on the 21st June 1866, the second youngest of the seven children of Spring Rice and his wife, Anna. The family home was at Marlhill half a mile from New Inn, County Tipperary. She had two brothers, Henry and Spring and four sisters Bess, Connie, Annie and Lucy. Lena learned to play tennis at home against her sister Annie. She also played in Cahir Lawn Tennis Club where most of her opponents were men. Her first major competition was the Irish Championships at the Fitzwilliam Lawn Tennis Club in May 1889. Lena lost narrowly in two sets to Blanche Hillyard- five times Wimbledon Champion- in the semi-final. Lena won the Mixed Doubles, partnering Willoughby Hamilton against Mrs Hillyard and Henry Stone. In June 1889 she competed at the Lawnsdowne Handicap Challenge where she was runner up in the singles tournament and then traveled to England with her sister to compete at Wimbledon for the first time. Lena battled hard to the final but was once again beaten by Blanche Hillyard. In the 1890 Irish Championships, Lena lost the women's singles final to Louise Martin. In Wimbledon she had little difficulty reaching the final where her opponent was May Jacks of Great Britain, her semi final opponent of the previous year.The final was played on the 4th of July 1890, with Lena winning 6-4, 6-1 to become the first Irish woman to win Wimbledon. She retired from competitive tennis immediately after her Wimbledon victory, aged 24. Lena lived out the rest of her life in genteel poverty folowing the deaths of her parents. She died of tuberculosis on the 21st of June 1907, her 41st birthday.

Last edited by oncevotedff; 05-07-2010 at 16:44.
Thanks from:
04-07-2010, 16:01   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncevotedff View Post
He wasn't Irish.
OK -you have forced me to dig deep to find a really famous Tipperary person.Fr Matthew founder of the Total Abstinence Assiciation was born near Golden in Co Tipperary.

Shane McGowan is a Tipperary Man who probably wouldnt see eye to eye with him.

Buried in St Joesphs Cemetary Cork City (a cemetary he founded following catholic emancipation) . There are statues to him in Cork and Dublin and the witch capital of the world Salem .

He was also an anti slavery supporter and lent his name to that cause.
04-07-2010, 16:18   #39

There's also one in the Claddagh in Galway which would have been one of the poorest areas in the town in the 19th Century and thus home to a lot of alcoholics. Sometimes statues seem to be just plonked down anywhere, and sometimes their placement can tell us a lot about what people were thinking when they did it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-07-2010, 19:09   #40

Quote:
William Burke
1792 - 1829
Resurrectionist and Murderer. An Irish navvy who came to Scotland, to work on the Union Canal. When his work on the canal was finished, he moved into Edinburgh taking up lodgings in Tanner's Close in the home of William Hare (d. c.1860). The pair frequented the drinking dens of the Old Town but soon turned to the lucrative occupation of obtaining bodies for Dr Robert Knox (1791 - 1862), the anatomist, based in Edinburgh University's Medical School, for which they were paid £7 10/- each. Initially the pair are said to have satisfied their employer by digging up freshly buried corpses, but they quickly resorted to murder, luring victims to their lodging house. Here they plied their victims with drink before smothering them. They were captured after killing 16 people, the so-called 'West Port Murders'. Only Burke stood trial in the High Court in Edinburgh, because Hare had turned King's evidence and testified against his partner. He was convicted and hanged in front of a large crowd in Edinburgh's Lawnmarket. Burke's body was subject to a public dissection by Professor Alexander Monro (1773 - 1859) and curiously a wallet made from his tanned skin remains preserved in the Anatomy Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh, along with his death-mask.
He was part of an infamous duo Burke and Hare from Ireland -who with his partner and the two mens wags killed 17 people. He gave his name toa killing method known as burking meaning getting someone drunk and smothering them. Hare his co-killer went Kings evidence and only Burke was convicted and the women also went free.

William Burkes skeleton may be seen at Edinburgh Anatomy Museum - Edinburg College of Medicine and Vetinary.The College of Surgeons have his deathmask, and several items like a wallet made from his skin.

Below is the College where his skeleton is located.

04-07-2010, 19:13   #41
oncevotedff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDfm View Post
OK -you have forced me to dig deep to find a really famous Tipperary person.

Next time I'm in Clonmel I'll get a photo of Frank Patterson's grave.

Shane McGowan is probably still technically alive.
Thanks from:
04-07-2010, 19:15   #42

Great thread. I don't know why I didn't think of this one before. Admiral David Beatty of the WW.I. Battle of Jutland fame and I include here especially for McArmalite/Rebel Heart/MarchDub etc. Saved us all from having to speak German. The family had an Irish home at Borodale not far from Enniscorthy but I don't know whether he could be described as a son of Ireland. George V honoured him with several titles for his service including 1st Earl Beatty, Viscount Borodale of Wexford, Baron Beatty of the North Sea and of Brooksby. Despite having left Ireland many years ago the family still retains its Irish title and the latest Viscount Borodale was born as recently as 1973 and sports the names Sean David Beatty - so Irish it is. Anyway Admiral Beatty is buried in St.Paul's Cathederal.

Adm. David Beatty
Memorial

Birth: 1871
Death: 1936

British Naval Admiral. He was born on 17 January 1871 in Cheshire, of Anglo-Irish parentage. He entered the training establishment HMS Britannia, Dartmouth at the age of just under thirteen, and joined his first ship HMS Alexandria just before his fifteenth birthday. He served with distinction in the Sudan from 1896 to 1898, and it was in Khartoum in 1898 that a bottle of champagne famously was tossed ashore from Beatty's gunboat, the Fateh, to a grateful Winston Churchill. Beatty then served in China during the Boxer Rising of 1900, during which he was seriously wounded in action ashore, and promoted to captain at the age of only 29. He was further promoted to Rear Admiral on the first day of 1910, to become the youngest Flag officer in the Royal Navy, not of royal rank, since Nelson and Rodney in the eighteenth century. He subsequently refused the appointment of second-in-command of the Atlantic Fleet, for which he was put on half-pay. When Winston Churchill became First Lord of the Admiralty in 1911, he chose Beatty as his Naval Secretary, and this was a successful appointment which lasted until 1913 when Churchill appointed Beatty commander of the Battle Cruiser Squadron. He served with success in the battles of Heligoland Bight in August 1914 and Dogger Bank in January 1915. At the battle of Jutland in May 1916, his bold and aggressive tactics arguably led to what became regarded as a tactical victory for the German High Seas Fleet in terms of losses, but a strategic victory for the Royal Navy as the enemy were discouraged thenceforth from attempting any further major fleet offensives. When HMS Indefatigible and then HMS Queen Mary blew up, Beatty, carrying his flag on HMS Lion, turned to her captain and remarked "There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today." Captain Chatfield reported that this was a remark which required neither comment nor answer. Beatty's third cousin, Commander Barry Bingham, won a rare naval Victoria Cross at Jutland. On 21 November 1918 Beatty accepted the surrender of the German Fleet, by then anchored off Aberlady Bay in the Firth of Forth, Scotland. At 1100 Beatty signalled to Admiral von Reuter "The German Flag will be hauled down at sunset today, Thursday, and will not be hoisted again without permission." On 3 April 1919 Beatty was appointed an Admiral of the Fleet (as was Jellicoe on the same day) and effective from 1 Nov 1919, First Sea Lord and Chief of the Naval Staff, which he remained until 1927. He was granted a peerage and a gift of £100,000 for his services to his country. Towards the end of his life, a motoring accident and then a serious riding accident afflicted him. These, together with his insistence, against doctors' orders, on attending the lengthy funerals of Jellicoe and then of King George V possibly hastened his death which occurred at his home in Grosvenor Square, London, on 11 March 1936. He was interred in the crypt of St Paul's Cathedral next to Jellicoe and close to Nelson.
(bio by: Ronald Land)

Burial:
Saint Pauls Cathedral
London
Greater London, England
Plot: The crypt, next to Jellicoe

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...e=gr&GRid=6207

Last edited by Judgement Day; 04-07-2010 at 19:49.
Thanks from:
04-07-2010, 19:45   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncevotedff View Post
Next time I'm in Clonmel I'll get a photo of Frank Patterson's grave.
That would be a good addition plus a bit on his claim to fame as a Tenor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgement Day View Post
Great thread but I'm damned if I can think of anybody - give me time though!
I accept assasins , criminals,sex industry workers or madame, bootleggers & defrocked nuns and priests as well but if there is an Irish footnote like a hanging judge, ships captain or town or school founder feel free.
Thanks from:
04-07-2010, 20:12   #44

Mary Mallon a/k/a Typhoid Mary Cook and walking plague and typhoid carrier was from Co Tyrone. She is buried in St Raymonds The Bronx NYC.

With no idea she was infected she worked as a cook spreading the disease

In custody as a public health risk under an assumed name she got work as a hospital cook infecting 25 and killing 2 (total fatalities 3).

Quote:
Baker describes the emergence of Mallon from the closet:
She came out fighting and swearing, both of which she could do with appalling efficiency and vigor. I made another effort to talk to her sensibly and asked her again to let me have the specimens, but it was of no use. By that time she was convinced that the law was wantonly persecuting her, when she had done nothing wrong. She knew she had never had typhoid fever; she was maniacal in her integrity. There was nothing I could do but take her with us. The policemen lifted her into the ambulance and I literally sat on her all the way to the hospital; it was like being in a cage with an angry lion.5
Incarcerated from 1907 and released in 1910 on condition she give up her career of a cook - she lied.

Read her story here.
http://history1900s.about.com/od/190...yphoidmary.htm
04-07-2010, 20:19   #45

Where do you get them from? Typhoid Mary....I'll be having nightmares about her tonight - yuck!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion