Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-08-2010, 11:48   #61
irishlostboy

summer rain is good.

there is (nearly) always surf in the northwest.

not a bad summer really when you think about it. hope others are also having fun.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-08-2010, 14:35   #62
rgfuller

Paddled a rented sit-on-top down the Dordogne from Carsac downriver in France last Thursday - gorgeous weather but a crowded river! At least 200+ other kayakers or canoe'ists overtaken or passed by.
15-08-2010, 21:51   #63
ParkRunner

Paddled from Balbriggan out towards Rockabill lighthouse today in very calm waters. It was my first ever paddle of any significant distance out at sea and I really enjoyed it. Had a few curious seals for company and had the current with me on the way back. It was very pleasant in the evening sun! I may have caught the bug!
09-09-2010, 23:13   #64
yomchi

It was my fourth time on the river today. Still a bit nervous. My instructor brought me up to Lucan today to have a look at the sluice. He wasn't expecting the water levels to be where they were, something like 3megs released from the dam so the sluice was one scary looking bast*rd

There was no way I was going down it, he wasn't going to let me anyway. It was my first experience of fast moving water and we did some ferry gliding practice, I nearly made it over on the last attempt but the water was too strong for my weakling strokes and I got pushed down river, still it was good to experience.

The other lad with us has about 6 months experience and he ran the sluice. It ate him good, he lost control on the approach and capsized heading into it, he got tossed out of it pretty quick and came up on a T rescue.

We headed down toward to the Lucan weir and we did some X rescue drills on the way down which were good crack especially in the fast water.
I ran the weir at Lucan, it was some drop! Made it to the eddy and capsized by turning too quick without controlling the edge well enough.

It was a great day all in all, some hair raising moments and some good skills practiced.
(2) thanks from:
15-09-2010, 11:20   #65
yomchi

It was back to the club last night for some technique drills.

We covered some ferry gliding across the river, front and back with a larger focus on lifting the edge. We went then into low brace turns, again with an emphasis on the edge. I capsized twice on this turn initially but got it down later on in the evening. We went then into sweep stroke combo's and a couple combination drills where I had to ferry glide across to one side, low brace turn mid way, paddle backwards to the bank and then paddle with speed back across. That went ok for me.

To finish as we moved back down the river to the club house I touched on the draw stroke which was a difficult little pig to master!

The lads went down the weir then and played around in the standing wave. Great session all in all. We have a rescue course tonight, should be good!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-12-2010, 16:51   #66
yomchi

Liffey, Cold, Hypothermia, sore hands. Good day
26-12-2010, 23:32   #67
Truley

Lots of fun was had pushing boats down snowy hills
02-01-2011, 19:52   #68
yomchi

Made the line through sluice today for the first time. The last time I tried I ended up stuck to a tree with no paddle and that was before the wave! Today the preparation was perfect, I followed Ger's (my instructor) line down keeping the nose pointing river right. Paddy was behind me just in case, made it onto the wave, leaned forward and paddled like hell but the bump off it was too much and not even the best high brace in the world saved me and over I went for a few seconds, came up on the nose of Ger's boat. Delighted I made the line though and it was tankin' as well. That's one head fcuk nailed, next time won't be so daunting.

(2) thanks from:
05-01-2011, 02:34   #69
wet-paint

Good job dude, but easy up on the high bracing, they're not good.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-01-2011, 09:32   #70
irishlostboy

done a wee bit of boating since the thaw. missed a lot of the best water unfortunately. yesterday got a new first on a river i found over a decade ago, but only got it clear of trees this summer. nice short and steep little creek. hoping to hit it again soon with more water.

also spent the down-time editing up some purty videos. footage was taken by Peter Martin for some projects he needed some kayaking on. paddling is not flash, but the camerawork is to die for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ0ahmPcJuo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJzIXmp7NJE
(4) thanks from:
05-01-2011, 21:16   #71
yomchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet-paint View Post
Good job dude, but easy up on the high bracing, they're not good.
In fairness I think it was more flailing than anything else but I hear ya, need to keep the shoulders in tact!
09-01-2011, 14:20   #72
wet-paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlostboy View Post
done a wee bit of boating since the thaw. missed a lot of the best water unfortunately. yesterday got a new first on a river i found over a decade ago, but only got it clear of trees this summer. nice short and steep little creek. hoping to hit it again soon with more water.

also spent the down-time editing up some purty videos. footage was taken by Peter Martin for some projects he needed some kayaking on. paddling is not flash, but the camerawork is to die for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ0ahmPcJuo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJzIXmp7NJE
You don't fancy doing up a short review for IWW, do you?
09-01-2011, 17:53   #73
BOOF IT STEVE

A cold but fun trip down the dereen with TKC
09-01-2011, 23:51   #74
irishlostboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet-paint View Post
You don't fancy doing up a short review for IWW, do you?
the river guides i have for our local rivers are available here: http://sligokayakclub.com/river%20guide.html
i wont write guides for the new rivers that i dont know well yet. i wait until i have paddled them in various water levels, until i know the river, access, etc well. then i write the guides. we have only paddled this new river twice. it needs some good saw work to be made safe and i need to speak with local land owners before i set the info about it into the wild.
10-01-2011, 13:12   #75
KenHy

You have some good guides there! Could you put them on IWW too, as I'm sure it could be usefull to plenty of people who wouldn't visit Sligo Kayak Club's site too often?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion