Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-05-2010, 09:26   #46

Junior Liffey on saturday, water was shíte low despite a bit of a flood being let off . . .

Upper Liffey race called off yesterday as the esb couldnt do a flood two days in a row due to a lack of water. Flat race on the lake in Leixlip instead
Advertisement
06-06-2010, 21:07   #47
TarfHead

First time out today for 'proper' paddle since 'Summer' 2008.

Out of Howth Harbour and around by Balscadden to the general area of Pipers Gut. Lovely evening, once the rain moved off, and just a small swell.

Part of preparation for a forthcoming joint trip around the coastline of Howth Head - Sutton Dinghy Club to Howth Harbour.
13-06-2010, 10:04   #48
se conman

Just about to head to Clashganny for a days sport.First time out this year and really looking forward to it , just hope the weather holds up.
23-06-2010, 23:30   #49
del88

out on donabate beach.....knocking about in some surf
01-07-2010, 16:14   #50
irishlostboy

dunniel, Co sligo. grade 3 with grade 4ish sections. crap for safety and rescue due to the gorge.
it rained last night pretty well so we went at it first thing. water was low and dropping, but good enough to go. booftastic fun by all, and broachtastic fun by some. sure beats flatwater.
Advertisement
07-07-2010, 00:25   #51

Brought a group of beginners down Clashganny. Incredibly low water levels!!!
08-07-2010, 10:17   #52

I haven't paddled anything for weeks now, , very very dry and no hope of rain soon... grrrr....
12-07-2010, 13:14   #53
rgfuller

Paddled my Frenzy with an "IrishCanoeKayak.com" trip-group from Graiguenamanagh down the river Barrow over a few Wiers Saturday - thank god the rain was warm! Great craic with a few spills.
12-07-2010, 21:03   #54
christramp

Played in flatwater with the kids

My two year old just got his brand new Fluid vaya sit on top - so we went down to the local river and messed around. My 7 year old has her level 2 in a few week so I was putting her through her paces and in between I messed around in my uber comfortable Riot Astro
Chris
www.kayakhut.com
Advertisement
13-07-2010, 14:04   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgfuller View Post
Paddled my Frenzy with an "IrishCanoeKayak.com" trip-group from Graiguenamanagh down the river Barrow over a few Wiers Saturday - thank god the rain was warm! Great craic with a few spills.

The barrow has finally risen a bit, clashganny isn't quite as low as it was!!!
16-07-2010, 22:53   #56
christramp

Dargle & Avonmore

Fantastic night - the rain finally came and made these rivers runnable. The Dargle is an awesome contininual steep & technical run. The avonmore was on the high side of medium and a great run. I tried to blast through the hole at jacksons and got swallowed up but recovered it, then there was a bit of craic jumping and seal launching off Jacksons
Chris
www.kayakhut.com
19-07-2010, 12:33   #57

Tees

Visiting friends in Teesside and the unexpected rain meant we got a run down the middles tees Whorlton to Piecebridge - only a little extra water but enough

Ah takes me back to college without the drinking capacity.

Sam
31-07-2010, 12:50   #58
Glenalla

Did the Barrow from Goresbridge to Graig last sunday - what beautiful scenery!.
Plan to do Graig to St Mullins next week, hope it is as nice.
31-07-2010, 16:02   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenalla View Post
Did the Barrow from Goresbridge to Graig last sunday - what beautiful scenery!.
Plan to do Graig to St Mullins next week, hope it is as nice.

Graig to st.mullins is generally a bit more exciting, but with current water levels it will be a bit of a slog!!!
01-08-2010, 09:28   #60
bjg

The Rockville Navigation

I hope you'll forgive a contribution from a non-canoeing non-kayaking person, although on the expedition in question I did actually do a lot of paddling. I'm actually a barge-driver, but with an interest in little-used or forgotten navigations. I know several people from here have visited my page about the Upper Suir between Carrick-on-Suir and Clonmel http://irishwaterwayshistory.com/aba...ck-to-clonmel/.

Anyway, with a family group, I recently went along the almost-forgotten Rockville Navigation in Co Roscommon: there were five of us and two dogs, in one dinghy, two kayaks and an inflatable kayak. At least at the very low water levels that prevailed, this would not appeal to whitewater enthusiasts, but it was a fascinating trip through canalised sections of rivers, small lakes and finally a shallow river. It took us four hours to fight through the vegetation, but kayaks alone could have done it a lot faster. We didn't cover the whole of the navigation, though. We thought it was a gorgeous stretch of water, with historic and scenic attractions as well as the feeling of exploring little-used waters (we weren't the first: I know of others who have taken small boats and kayaks around the waterway) and I'd like it to be better known. The more use a waterway gets, the more likely it is to be kept open (although I have no idea what the local landowners think about it).

If you are interested, you can read my account of the trip (with maps and lots of photos) here.

bjg
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion