Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some help with a photo

Options
  • 12-10-2008 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for some help identifying the men in this photo.

DevMick.jpg

A.N.Other 1, Eamon De Valera, A.N.Other 2 and then Michael Collins

I know the quality of this photo isn't the best, sorry but it is the best I could find!

I would like to know the identities of, if it is possible, the other two men other than Dev & Mick.

I would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

do you have a date for the photo? that might help. or any more information about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

do you have a date for the photo? that might help. or any more information about it.

Sorry, that is obviously something that would help. According to UCD this was taken at the All Ireland Hurling Final, Croke Park, April 1919

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I have a few old photos of my great grandfather (Séamus Ó hAodha aka James Hughes) with Éamon and others about, but I can't recognise him in the above photo. UCD have some of his writings in their Archive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

"A. N. Other 1" might be Arthur Griffith? He was short and had a dark mustache like that but it is hard to tell as his face in the photo is obscured.

"A.N. Other 2" could be Kevin O'Higgins. He had a face that shape. Again, the photo as you say is not not very clear. But you could check these out.

MarchDub wrote: »
    "A. N. Other 1" might be Arthur Griffith? He was short and had a dark mustache like that but it is hard to tell as his face in the photo is obscured.

"A.N. Other 2" could be Kevin O'Higgins. He had a face that shape. Again, the photo as you say is not not very clear. But you could check these out.

Thanks! those are good starting points

I was thinking that one could be Harry Boland but unless we can see the original photo I think educated guesses will be as close as we can get.

Thanks for your help :D

• Advertisement

OK a wee update. I've been told this is the line up

reading from left to right

Arthur Griffth, De Valera, Laurence O'Neill, Michael Collins and finally Harry Boland (standing up)

Again, granted the photo is not the best quality, but can anyone agree/disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Don't know much about the people but I'd dispute the circumstances. The 1919 SHC final was on the 21st September...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Profiler wrote: »
    OK a wee update. I've been told this is the line up

reading from left to right

Arthur Griffth, De Valera, Laurence O'Neill, Michael Collins and finally Harry Boland (standing up)

Again, granted the photo is not the best quality, but can anyone agree/disagree?

One question I have. Why would the standing figure - if he is Harry Boland - be wearing what looks like one of those old "officials" tags? Those of us old enough to remember that at public events - up to the 1970s - officials in charge of crowds wore a luggage type tag with their names and status written out by hand. The standing man appears to have an "official" tag pinned onto him.

Advertisement