Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Lisha wrote: »
    While on FB an add popped up for Moogoo product called ‘ Bakuchiol (1% w/v) Natural Retinol Substitute Active Serum
    €26.99
    Bakuchiol is a natural alternative for Retinol as Retinol can irritate the skin‘

I’m wary of retinol As I have redness/sensitive skin and I not spending much money at the minute but I was intrigued by the claim as above so I ordered the bakuchiol and I have to say it’s fantastic. Skin feels amazing after it . It’s much cheaper than other retinol type products so fingers crossed..

I saw this on facebook and wanted to try it, I have redness too and rosacea so cant use retinols. Love MooGoo products so will buy this week.

If its of any use to you, the skin nerd does a really nice vitamin A serum, it's not a retinol but works similarly and doesnt irritate skin. Its a bit more expensive at 42 euro and for a very small amount of product but it's a really good product imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I saw this on facebook and wanted to try it, I have redness too and rosacea so cant use retinols. Love MooGoo products so will buy this week.

If its of any use to you, the skin nerd does a really nice vitamin A serum, it's not a retinol but works similarly and doesnt irritate skin. Its a bit more expensive at 42 euro and for a very small amount of product but it's a really good product imo.

I’m very happy with the bakicuhol and with the moo goo moisturiser . My skin feels great and never ‘tight’ like it does with other products. I’m as happy with the moo goo as I was with the drunk elephant products.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Has anyone tried those monthly subscription boxes, i.e. Birchbox or similar? Very tempted to give it a go, but not sure if I'm wasting my money?

I've been getting the Birchbox for a few years now. It works out between 15 to 18 euro per month. Some months are great and then others are boring because you tend to get a lot of repeats! I've gotten makeup, face masks, hairspray, shampoo/conditioner, brushes etc... Mostly sample sizes but you get 1 full size product every box. I always say I'm going to cancel it but I never get around to it!! I do love getting a treat every month :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Bit of a different product for here but I've been using Wild natural deodorant for a few weeks and I've been finding it really good. I'd been wanting to switch to a more eco friendly solution so when my last can of deo was about to go I ordered the one off pack to try - one case plus three deodorant bars. You reuse the case and just add in the bars as you need, and the empty bar packs can go in compost. No sulphates, parabens or aluminium. I was worried about the "transition period" as your body can take time to adjust but no complaints so far and I would consider myself a sweaty person :pac: Currently using coconut scent, and have bergamot and mint lined up. https://www.wearewild.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Thats interesting Twee, I got a cream deo and solid shampoo from Three Hills. I stank and Im not overly sweaty and the solid shampoo made my hair so greasy overtime, could get 3 days and was only getting one on this. Might give this deo a go, thanks

Yeah my friends have all tried a few between them and none were 100% happy so this time it was my turn to try one! It'll be interesting to see in the summer but for now I'm happy with it. It can rub off on clothes when you're getting dressed though which is annoying, but that's the case with a lot of cream deos anyway.

Roz Purcell and Tara Stewart both had discount codes up recently if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

lashes34 wrote: »
    Thats interesting Twee, I got a cream deo and solid shampoo from Three Hills. I stank and Im not overly sweaty and the solid shampoo made my hair so greasy overtime, could get 3 days and was only getting one on this. Might give this deo a go, thanks

I find the solid shampoos and deodorants depend massively on the brand and type. I've been using warrior botanicals deodorant for nearly two years and find it better than spray deodorants and there was no transition. Shampoos have been a lot trickier but the Janni bar for oily hair was the best so far for me. I tried a three hills one and it was okay, tried another from soap out loud and my hair was really greasy with it, and another from palm free Irish soaps and my scalp was incredibly flaky after the second wash and it took a fortnight to clear up. On a slow mission to remove plastic from my bathroom and makeup bag as much as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Want to indulge in some Charlotte Tilbury bits for my birthday. Any recommendations?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

lashes34 wrote: »

I'm on my 4th natural deodorant and only two of them have really worked, Warrior Bontanicals and the Palm Free Irish soap sports deodorant bar. But it's worth noting that there can be a 6 week adjustment period with them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Want to indulge in some Charlotte Tilbury bits for my birthday. Any recommendations?

I find the eye palettes are great. Not interested in her lipsticks, I find they transfer straight off.
    I got the box with the drawers in it a few years ago which gave me somme good tasters of her products. The mascara is lovely too.
    I don’t really rate the Magic Cream, I never saw any difference. I was going to get a brush set cos I’m a sucker for packaging but they get very poor reviews on her own website.
    I want to get the big box again with the jewelled handles. Saw it in BT and I’m a magpie for shiny things.
    The other one I got was half price in a Black Friday sale and that’s enough to pay for it.
    So if it’s not restocked and reduced I won’t bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’ve finally found the best moisturiser to go under make up! I think I’ve been through every moisturiser known to man at this stage and while they’re nice, I never like how my make up looks on top of them so I always end up keeping them for night or days where I’m not wearing make up. Recently I’ve been using The Inky List Bakuchiol and it’s just perfect under make up; not too heavy but with enough moisture to grip the make up and it absorbs really quickly too. It’s a gorgeous moisturiser and I think I paid like €13 for it in the pharmacy. It reminds me of the consistency of Nivea for men aftershave balm when everyone used to use that years ago as a primer, lol! I’m really impressed with it and I struggled for ages to find the right type to go under make up. I think it’s classed as a natural alternative to retinol so really good for your skin too.

Cult Beauty have 20% off complexion items so foundation, powders etc includes CT, Nars etc if anyone needs anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I love Flawless Filter, I'm on the dregs of my second and will definitely repurchase. When I bought it first I thought it a bit of a swizz at €40 but I wore it every day for 9 months ending up trying to scrape out the last bits with a cotton bud, so was worth it really! It's lovely under makeup but also just on its own, these days when there's no point in putting on a full face but I want to make a little effort just for my own sake, my face is FF and a little brow product. It just gives you a little tint and glow.
    I love the Pillow Talk lipstick, it's my go-to, not pushed on the liner. I've heard Iconic Nude is a nicer nude liner for fair to medium tones but I just think the pricepoint for a liner is unnecessary, so many good ones out there for around the fiver or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

^^^ what brush do you apply the Flawless Filter with? Have it and love it but find my ordinary foundation kabuki brush just soaks it all up and buffs it away to nothing?

heldel00 wrote: »
    ^^^ what brush do you apply the Flawless Filter with? Have it and love it but find my ordinary foundation kabuki brush just soaks it all up and buffs it away to nothing?

I just use my fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

As mentioned the flawless filter is really nice, I like the bronzer, if you like a more intense bronze, don't really think the setting powder is worth it, recently got the new mascara haven't tried it yet, but it looks really nice.. Hear the magic cream is amazing but I could never justify paying that for a moisturiser!

Repurchased Cerava SA Smoothing Cream. It is great for KP or bumpy skin, really does help smooth it out and improve appearance. Its quite thick so I find it goes on best after a hot shower to melt in. Very little scent apart from generic "lotion" smell. I've stopped buying nice scented body creams and if I get them as a gift well and good, but I'm loyal now to the Cerave and good old fashioned E45, talk about boring and sensible! I like Caudalie Divine Oil if I wanna feel bougie and glam (not getting much use these days!) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

heldel00 wrote: »

I find it works best with hands! I think you'd have to use quite a lot for a brush, and it needs hands to really blend it into your face and become skin-like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

There's some great value sets on her website for Black Friday have purchased some bits for gifting and self gifting!

I'm waiting ages on my Wild deodorant shipment which shipped at end of Oct but they contacted today to say they will send it out again so excellent customer service. They're having 25% off for Black Friday.

• Advertisement

Treated myself to the hydrating gift set by image skincare as it was on sale. I got the vit c hydrating serum, the vit c hydrating cleanser and spf 50 which I had run out of and needed a new one anyway. I had never tried anything from the vitamin C range. Only been using them for a few days but already I see a difference in my skin, its much brighter and the lines around my eyes arent so prominent.
    So pleased with this purchase, despite it costing 100 euro, it was a total impulse buy but worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Treated myself to the hydrating gift set by image skincare as it was on sale. I got the vit c hydrating serum, the vit c hydrating cleanser and spf 50 which I had run out of and needed a new one anyway. I had never tried anything from the vitamin C range. Only been using them for a few days but already I see a difference in my skin, its much brighter and the lines around my eyes arent so prominent.
    So pleased with this purchase, despite it costing 100 euro, it was a total impulse buy but worth it.

Where did you buy from? Thanks!

I got a few bits in Charlotte tilbury, the eyes to mesmerise pots were reduced so picked up three of those. They are so nice and really easy to blend.
    I love the light magic cream too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I bought loads of bits over the last few weeks so I thought I’d include them all in one post :pac:

Charlotte Tilbury Flawless Filter -
    I was pleasantly surprised by this! It looks beautiful both on its own and under foundation. Very little coverage but gives a really nice glow and makes my makeup look more polished. I’d recommend.

Milk Hydrogrip Primer -
    Really good, has a very sticky texture which really grips the makeup to it. My only slight criticism is that my other primer (urban decay optical illusion) is better for filling the pores on my nose. I still like it though.

Nars liquid blush in Orgasm -
    This is gorgeous! Looks fab with just the CT flawless filter for ‘no makeup’ days. It has a lovely highlighting effect and very buildable for both natural and full glam looks. I really like it.

Fenty contour stick -
    This was good when I first got it but I feel like it’s already after drying out a little bit and is getting harder to blend as a result? So I’ll withhold full judgment till I figure it out.

Makeup Revolution XX concealer -
    Absolutely awful, clung to my dry patches and separated/oxidised not long after. One for the bin.

St. Tropez facial tan serum -
    This was absolutely amazing, gave me such a nice natural looking tan but unfortunately it broke me out in a rash similar to prickly heat all over my face.
    Apparently there is an ingredient in this brand that a lot of Irish people are allergic to (DHA) so that’s why it happened. Disappointing because I really liked it.

I already have the Nars radiant concealer, the CT setting setting spray, the CT mesmerise eye trio, Pillow Talk gloss, and the Environ Christmas set in my basket ready to go for tomorrow, I’ll report back in a few weeks if they’re any good :pac:

Just to say net a Porter have lots of Charlotte tilbury on discount ! I got the light magic cream for 74e and it’s 90 on Charlotte T website

Free delivery too

• Advertisement

Just to say net a Porter have lots of Charlotte tilbury on discount ! I got the light magic cream for 74e and it’s 90 on Charlotte T website

Free delivery too

Thanks, I’ll check that out. Really enjoying the brand lately, I have yet to buy something that has disappointed me :)

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I bought loads of bits over the last few weeks so

St. Tropez facial tan serum -
    This was absolutely amazing, gave me such a nice natural looking tan but unfortunately it broke me out in a rash similar to prickly heat all over my face.
    Apparently there is an ingredient in this brand that a lot of Irish people are allergic to (DHA) so that’s why it happened. Disappointing because I really liked it.

Ahh interesting! I had my eye on this for tomorrow!!

Ahh interesting! I had my eye on this for tomorrow!!

If you’re going to buy it, buy it from Boots if you can. They have an excellent returns policy and will give you a refund if you have your receipt and explain what happened.
    They gave me my money back no bother.

I asked a beauty therapist friend about it and she said it’s very common, and that her salon doesn’t use it any more as so many of their clients had bad reactions to it.
    I don’t have sensitive skin and have never had a reaction to any other tan in my life so I’d say it’s just trial and error with it!

Thanks Susie! I have a fair few points built up on Boots so might put them towards it! Which Environ set have you your eye on and where are you planning to buy? Not that I need more ideas! :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Any feedback on the CT magin skin moisturiser and serum?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Any feedback on the CT magin skin moisturiser and serum?

I got the elixir....wouldn’t rate it tbh. But the magic cream I love. Always have the magic cream but recently bought the light one and it’s so lovely on the skin. 15 percent off on net a Porter now and free shipping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Got the CT bronze and glow. LOVE it. Very subtle and it came with a little mini brush.

Also got the goddess cleansing ritual and the pillow talk mascara. Love the mascara but have a sneaking suspicion it’s irritating my eyes.

Used the cleansing ritual this morning and it’s lovely.

The mascara also came with a mini eyeliner in barbarella brown which is so soft and a lovely flattering colour for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Cracked and ordered the Charlotte Tilbury Mystery Box again. Ordered the smallest one this time. I've been searching for spoilers but nothing out yet. I'll just have to wait.

MsQuinn wrote: »
    Cracked and ordered the Charlotte Tilbury Mystery Box again. Ordered the smallest one this time. I've been searching for spoilers but nothing out yet. I'll just have to wait.

Really wanted to get this but I’ve spent so much last week that I’m going to go into mortgage arrears if I don’t stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I was tempted by those after the email with 50% off.
    But I really want the gold box thats been out of stock for ages.
    I know BT and Arnotts have them but they don’t put them up online qnd if they’re full price I couldn’t be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Recliner

I picked up the SoSu x C.L.E eyeshadow pallete today from my local chemist for €5.00 reduced from €14.95. They carry a lot of the SoSu range and it sells well but for some reason this pallette didn't move.
    I tried it this evening and the colour payoff is excellent with practically no fall off.
    Lasted really well also.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I asked a beauty therapist friend about it and she said it’s very common, and that her salon doesn’t use it any more as so many of their clients had bad reactions to it.
    I don’t have sensitive skin and have never had a reaction to any other tan in my life so I’d say it’s just trial and error with it!

I've always been super allergic to St Tropez and its touch and go with other tans - so annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

ams wrote: »
    I've always been super allergic to St Tropez and its touch and go with other tans - so annoying!

My sister would be the same, she would have reaction to most tans, she finds Tan Organic is fine for her

I got a little travel set of Tan Organic in boots recently and the smell would knock you. Not sure if they are all super stinky.

I find most gradual tans are ok so stick to them - its a pain tho!

I finally ran out of my face moisturiser stash, in a former life I worked in beauty PR so I had, ahem, a lot. I'm reformed now!

Got Cerave for normal to dry skin, SPF25. Nice product, smells a bit sun-screen-ish but that's ok. On offer for €10.50 in Boots https://www.boots.ie/cerave-facial-moisturising-lotion-spf25-10246705

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I’ve been using the Cereve face wash too recently and it’s really nice. I use it as my second cleanse after an oil/balm cleanser. I’ve very sensitive skin and it doesn’t cause me any inflammation. Great price point too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I recently purchased Koh Gen Do Aqua foundation in 213 and couldn't be happier. It's expensive, but worth the price. I'm pale with an olive undertone, which can make finding a good match hard. This just disappears into my skin and both looks and feels like I'm not wearing any foundation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭TK Lemon

Does anyone have the Spotlight Oral Care sonic toothbrush? Can they recommend it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

TK Lemon wrote: »
    Does anyone have the Spotlight Oral Care sonic toothbrush? Can they recommend it?

I really love mine. Feels like I've just left the dentists every time. I do find I've to change the head quite often, like every 6-8 weeks, but I think it's worth it. Barely ever needs to be charged too, which is handy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

After abstaining from purchasing any make up for the year I finally cracked and treated myself to three Pat McGrath palettes in the Black Friday sale, was worried that they wouldn’t be worth the money even with the discount. After some problems with the shipping they got here just in time on Christmas Eve and the quality is insane.

I got the Bronze Seduction, Divine Rose I and the Celestial Divinity palettes. From what I’ve tried so far the mattes perform well and are very blend-able but I didn’t buy them for the mattes! The shimmers are the best I’ve tried, superior even to my favourite Natasha Denona palettes and the “special shades” are something else. I just used the too faced eye insurance primer and didn’t experience much fallout at all, going to try some glitter glue and see if that helps even more. I’m a convert to the Mother Pat side :D

I really love mine. Feels like I've just left the dentists every time. I do find I've to change the head quite often, like every 6-8 weeks, but I think it's worth it. Barely ever needs to be charged too, which is handy!!

Thanks for your reply. :)

Ordered it just now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

TK Lemon wrote: »

id love to try it out but the amount of Promos they do in Instagram with these "Influencers" & their discount code has turned me right off ... its had opposite effect on me on not to purchase :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

whatever76 wrote: »
    id love to try it out but the amount of Promos they do in Instagram with these "Influencers" & their discount code has turned me right off ... its had opposite effect on me on not to purchase :mad:

I have a Phillips diamond clean sonic brush. Best thing I ever bought. Pricey enough but might be on sale at the moment. Have it about 4 ish years now abs it’s still brill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I bought the Kate Somerville Exfolikate exfoliator on a friend's recommendation but it's breaking me out something awful around my nose. Really hoping it's just a small purge as it wasn't cheap!

• Advertisement

whatever76 wrote: »

That’s a reason why I was definitely hesitant to buy it. But sure I have done, just waiting for it to arrive now. :P

Advertisement