Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Prime ... should I sign up if no deal Brexit likely?

• 19-10-2020 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,869 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

What with no deal Brexit looking more likely, I take it we should move our orders from Amazon.co.uk to one of the European alternatives to avoid customs duty?

I was considering signing up to Amazon Prime, but if Amazon UK orders are no longer feasible is Amazon Prime still worth it when getting delivery from the European sites?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

mrcheez wrote: »
    What with no deal Brexit looking more likely, I take it we should move our orders from Amazon.co.uk to one of the European alternatives to avoid customs duty?

I was considering signing up to Amazon Prime, but if Amazon UK orders are no longer feasible is Amazon Prime still worth it when getting delivery from the European sites?

If you want to sign up, then do so.
    If you pay monthly or yearly you can cancel at anytime and get a rebate back on the unused portion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,869 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Davy wrote: »
    If you want to sign up, then do so.
    If you pay monthly or yearly you can cancel at anytime and get a rebate back on the unused portion.

I think my question was is the Prime membership transferable to the other European sites?

I don't see any point signing up to a UK-only Prime once January rolls around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I think my question was is the Prime membership transferable to the other European sites?

No, you would have to sign up to Prime in each region. You will get some benefits but not worth it imo.

That's fair enough, but my point was you can sign up now, and use it. Then in January cancel without penalty and get a partial refund.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

how much do you buy on amazon

also amazon does not ship some things to ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If Brexit happens, I'll see how much the cost increases, and if the Amazons in EU countries offer free shipping to Ireland or not.

• Advertisement

salamiii wrote: »
    how much do you buy on amazon

also amazon does not ship some things to ireland

I buy a lot.. but possibly not worth signing up just for the next 2 months as I won't really get to use the benefits.

I'm on a trial now that will last until mid November, but I was curious if it was worth continuing it for the next year.

I'm on a trial now that will last until mid November, but I was curious if it was worth continuing it for the next year.
    Pay it month by month? It'll be handy for xmas.

the_syco wrote: »
    Pay it month by month? It'll be handy for xmas.

ah I thought it was only annual... I'll check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I was curious about this too. I was on an annual sub, but that ran out and am now on monthly instead.

The thing is, I don't think we get the same benefits from subscribing to Prime in the other EU countries as we do with the UK Amazon. Almost sure that you don't get the same free shipping. And not sure how their Prime Video option would work, if the Prime sub is with an EU country.

It might be a case of subscribing to Prime Video, and then just paying for shipping from an EU Amazon instead..........

I kept hoping Amazon would open a .ie website and warehouse here before Brexit hits.

I was curious about this too. I was on an annual sub, but that ran out and am now on monthly instead.

The thing is, I don't think we get the same benefits from subscribing to Prime in the other EU countries as we do with the UK Amazon. Almost sure that you don't get the same free shipping. And not sure how their Prime Video option would work, if the Prime sub is with an EU country.

It might be a case of subscribing to Prime Video, and then just paying for shipping from an EU Amazon instead..........

I kept hoping Amazon would open a .ie website and warehouse here before Brexit hits.

They do have a warehouse here from what I'm aware?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Just on a trial membership of Prime myself right now, after signing up in order to avail of one of the recent Prime Day deals.

Am wondering how Amazon Music works with it? It looks like I can log in there all right, but when I try to play something, it tells me "We noticed that you already have Amazon Music outside IE"

First choice then is to continue and enter card details and an address to show I'm in the UK. Even using a UK address like Address Pal won't work, presumably because they can tell from the card number that it was issued by an Irish provider.

Other choice is to "sign up for Amazon Music Unlimited in the IE." This wants payment details for an individual plan at €9.99 per month (with three months free), or a family plan at €14.99 per month.

Just wondering would this €9.99 per month be in addition to whatever I pay for Prime itself should I decide to keep it (at least until Brexit!), or is it all the one monthly fee, to cover both things?

The thing is, I don't think we get the same benefits from subscribing to Prime in the other EU countries as we do with the UK Amazon. Almost sure that you don't get the same free shipping.
    Annoyed that there are more and more things that won't ship to Ireland, even with Prime.
    Am wondering how Amazon Music works with it? It looks like I can log in there all right, but when I try to play something, it tells me "We noticed that you already have Amazon Music outside IE"
    If using it with the likes of Alexa, use Spotify if you have it; have found the IE/UK version of Amazon Music to be crap, with a lot of artists needing some other premium service to play :mad:

Amazon.de prime doesn't offer free shipping to IRL

Can you get free shipping if your order is over a certain amount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭VG31

Can you get free shipping if your order is over a certain amount?

There's no free shipping at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭afatbollix

FYI Amazon has opened a fulfillment warehouse in Dublin,

You will see some Amazon vans around soon.

You have nothing to worry about.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

afatbollix wrote: »

They've been around for a good few weeks at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

cancel if you want

afatbollix wrote: »

Any idea if this negates getting charged customs for orders from Amazon UK, or is that still an unknown?

Advertisement