Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Looking for suggestions on pregnancy knickers. Looking for a bit of top support

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eurozonelady

I get most of my underwear and baby clothes in Marks and Spencer

the marks and sparks in Galway is shocking they stock very little, actually I asked in there and they didnt have any.. Wouldnt be too gone on their clothes either way find their quality has gone to pot..I ended up going back to Dunnes and getting some. Still laughing at the size diff with some knickers, one 16 is a 20 etc..

More questions for someone. Has anyone worn magnetic bracelets while pregnant or come across anything with a bit of info about it.. My hands and ankles are so swollen and just feeling a bit out of sync so i have some on order and then sure thought mmm i wonder are you suppose to wear them while with baby

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Genie1986

Hey guys, just hijacking this thread looking for some advice!!! So my wife is pregnant with twins(18weeks). She is self employed and has stopped working as her work resolves around the beauty sector. My work is in construction(carpenter). I am employed and work is busy. My wife is freaking out that I could come home with the virus which is understandable. I work remotely in construction sites or in Mrs. Murphys/Joe bloggs doing flooring and wardrobes. We took last week off as a precaution to see what was happening with the virus. I have reassured her that I will take the necessary precautions such as mask, gloves etc etc but still no good... also i have told Mrs. Murphy/Joe bloggs that if we are to do work in their house that they must vacate the house from me so there is no contact. I'm in a rock and hard place...I don't want to come back to our home with the virus putting my pregnant wife at risk but i have to work as i need the funds for the twins that are on the way. I have also read articles that the covid 19 has no effect on pregnancy but still that's no consolation in this occasion.
    Thoughts and advice would be appreciated?!!
    Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Genie1986 wrote: »
    Hey guys, just hijacking this thread looking for some advice!!! So my wife is pregnant with twins(18weeks). She is self employed and has stopped working as her work resolves around the beauty sector. My work is in construction(carpenter). I am employed and work is busy. My wife is freaking out that I could come home with the virus which is understandable. I work remotely in construction sites or in Mrs. Murphys/Joe bloggs doing flooring and wardrobes. We took last week off as a precaution to see what was happening with the virus. I have reassured her that I will take the necessary precautions such as mask, gloves etc etc but still no good... also i have told Mrs. Murphy/Joe bloggs that if we are to do work in their house that they must vacate the house from me so there is no contact. I'm in a rock and hard place...I don't want to come back to our home with the virus putting my pregnant wife at risk but i have to work as i need the funds for the twins that are on the way. I have also read articles that the covid 19 has no effect on pregnancy but still that's no consolation in this occasion.
    Thoughts and advice would be appreciated?!!
    Thanks guys

Congratulations on your twins! Exciting time for you both in a positive happy way which is all the more needed right now.
    Pregnancy is a worrying time and right now it’s even more so. My sister had to give birth last week on her own as partners weren’t being allowed in for more than just the “here’s your baby now get out please” final minute. No visitors at all then either.

I would suggest your wife speak to her doctor/ midwife and see what they advise or suggest.
    This will be an expensive time for you and I fully understand your desire to work for as long as you can. I’m sure you also want to keep your family safe.
    Only a trusted doctor can make that call for you.

Hope you all stay safe and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Genie1986

Thank you...we will call her doctor tomorow...just seen on sky that Boris Johnson has claimed pregnant women are high risk along with the elderly ����

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It’s tough not to be anxious, but you need to work too! You could bring coronavirus home from work, but you could also bring it home from the shop, or a petrol station, or anywhere at all really. You might find that you won’t be going into peoples houses as much, they might not want people coming in.
    You need to be vigilant about hand hygiene etc. I would say Change your clothes and shoes before entering the house. Get some hand sanitizer for your car and use it regularly. Don’t wear a mask, it’s not recommended unless you have the virus. some of the craziness ive seen with masks lately is horrifying. People pawing them with their gloves, taking them on and off multiple times etc. It’s more dangerous than not wearing one if you don’t know what you’re at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Would highly recommend irish company babyboo.ie.

Quality of bibs are great. Really soft & fleecy & absorb loads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Yeah, I’d recommend them as well. They have this extra bit of material on top so the edge doesn’t irritate the baby’s neck as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

Just received these as presents for our newborn and would highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

Quick silly question I move back home from abroad and visiting gp for the first time next week at 15 weeks.

Do GPs usually have fetal dopplers and measure the heart beat as standard during these appointments?

It would be nice reassurance as I'm not at the hospital for a few more weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

glut22 wrote: »
    Quick silly question I move back home from abroad and visiting gp for the first time next week at 15 weeks.

Do GPs usually have fetal dopplers and measure the heart beat as standard during these appointments?

It would be nice reassurance as I'm not at the hospital for a few more weeks

I don't think they start using the doppler until about 16 weeks. Did you have a 12 week scan abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

Yes 12 week scan abroad and it was all good but had previous missed miscarriage so I'm nervous.

I also had a doppler used at 12 weeks and it was able to detect the heartbeat so ill ask them. Was just wondering if GPs usually had the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

glut22 wrote: »
    Yes 12 week scan abroad and it was all good but had previous missed miscarriage so I'm nervous.

I also had a doppler used at 12 weeks and it was able to detect the heartbeat so ill ask them. Was just wondering if GPs usually had the device.

Mine did but I dont remember what week they started using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lauramc58

Hi, I was just looking for some maternity clothes recommendations please :) I can’t find long leg Maternity jeans anywhere apart from River Island and they’ve been out of stock for ages. Would anyone have recommendations please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

lauramc58 wrote: »
    Hi, I was just looking for some maternity clothes recommendations please :) I can’t find long leg Maternity jeans anywhere apart from River Island and they’ve been out of stock for ages. Would anyone have recommendations please?

Debenhams used be my go to. But obv that’s not an option now :( have you looked on Dorothy Perkins? Or next?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lauramc58

jlm29 wrote: »
    Debenhams used be my go to. But obv that’s not an option now :( have you looked on Dorothy Perkins? Or next?

Oh I hadn’t thought of Dorothy Perkins, thank you! I had a look on next but I think they were sold out. Hopefully I find some or I’ll have cold ankles this winter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Boohoo.com have a good selection at reasonable prices.

Also, there's a few Facebook groups dedicated to quality used maternity and nursing wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 joanneryan92

Hey everyone! So I just found out I'm pregnant and my doctor told me I should stop taking my supplements and only take Folic Acid? (Until I'm 12 -14 weeks)

I take Vitamin C, D, B & Calcium! Any thought on this?

I find vitamin c so good for your immune system especially with Covid around!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

Hey everyone! So I just found out I'm pregnant and my doctor told me I should stop taking my supplements and only take Folic Acid? (Until I'm 12 -14 weeks)

I take Vitamin C, D, B & Calcium! Any thought on this?

I find vitamin c so good for your immune system especially with Covid around!

We can't give medical advice here but I would encourage you to listen to your doctor. Make sure to ask them any questions about vitamins etc, if you want clarification or don't understand their advice.
    Many women take a specific multivitamin when pregnant. I took pregnacare. Some find it makes their nausea worse but I found it fine.
    Also, there are plenty of natural ways to get different vitamins through foods :)

Best of luck with your pregnancy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Some studies have shown that there is actually little benefit to taking a multi vitamin so perhaps that is what your GP was referring to? A balanced diet should be enough. Also a lot of women find it makes their nausea worse.

I just take folic acid and vitamin D. I take the vitamin D routinely anyway even when not pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi ladies,

Just wondering if anyone has had a cervical cerclage before? I am booked for one at 13 weeks and am wondering what to expect in terms of how long it takes and how long you were in hospital that day for or recovering?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Poissy

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could answer the following query, was in the hospital today but didn't think to ask.

I'm due my first baby early Jan 2022. If I go by the date of my last period, I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant.
    However, I have long cycles and I ovulated 2 weeks late, which means I'm actually only 6 weeks pregnant.

I had an early scan today due to spotting and it was confirmed that baby is measuring 6 weeks.
    However the printout of the scan I got says I'm 8 weeks.

In terms of my future scans, does anyone know what dates they will go by?
    For example, will they call me for my 12 week scan when I'm only 10 weeks pregnant?

Thanks for any insight.

The "12 week scan" is actually your booking appointment scan, it can be done any time between 10- 14 weeks depending on the hospital. They will go with the size of baby but will take note of your own dates too. They plot your due date from the scan, not your date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Poissy

The "12 week scan" is actually your booking appointment scan, it can be done any time between 10- 14 weeks depending on the hospital. They will go with the size of baby but will take note of your own dates too. They plot your due date from the scan, not your date.

That makes sense, thank you.

Poissy wrote: »
    That makes sense, thank you.

Best of luck. Early spotting can be terrifying but stay in the lovely bubble- it is a very exciting time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭scarepanda

From my experience, once the booking scan confirms your scan from today that's the date that will be used going forward.

I was in a similar situation as you dates wise with my last. I booked a private scan for around 8.5 weeks going by period dates, this scan confirmed my dates that I was around 6.5 weeks. With the clinic I went to they have a policy (not sure if it's a requirement or just something they do) that they will rescan if there's a difference of 15+ days with dates and scan. I was re scanned which confirmed my dates. My booking scan was done around 11 weeks as my GP had already sent on the paperwork to the hospital. But once I showed the hospital the print out I had from the private clinic and that confirmed their scan, this was the new due date going forward and the rest of my appointments were at the right time.

• Advertisement

Just looking for some advice but a friend is getting very bad morning sickness or all day sickness. 3 months pregnant and has been perscribed Cariban? Just worried incase it might not be safe etc or any other recommendations would be welcome.

Advertisement