Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids birthday parties

Options
  • 20-09-2020 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

What are you doing in relation to kids parties? I presumed there would be no parties at the moment so was surprised when an invite arrived. Outdoor venue. All the class invited - 16- Went along and 15 of the 16 there. Only 2/ 3 parents plus host parents. Was grand. Dropped my chap off and came back later. Had previously discussed the no party ¬Covid thing with my son but of course this has happened now so..... Out of curiosity I asked a guy there what availability was like as my chap°s birthday is soon. He was quite sour and said they dont take bookings! While I'm there attending a birthday party! So, either he was unaware of the booking or annoyed by the numbers who turned up, who knows. So of course Im getting the party requests from my little dude and trying to fob him off saying we might not be allowed when the time comes ( and hoping no more invites appear).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Kids are not attending them and we're not hosting them. They know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

No way would I host one. And I wouldn’t be sending my kids either, unless it was maybe just one or two going to another kids house for cake with their family. I’m gobsmacked at the amount of posts on social media which depict people breaking restrictions for every conceivable reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

No way would I let me child go to a party or host one.

We celebrated her 2nd birthday a a few ago with the 3 of us and a yummy cake. Normally would have had grandparents and aunts/uncles and their kids, maybe 16-18 people. It just seemed irresponsible to have that many people in our house even though it would have been within guidance at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

We’ve had no birthday party invites since last February. My eldest was due to have hers in April and it was cancelled, they know parties are off the cards for a while yet. We’re in Dublin though so if we got a party invite at the moment I would be quite angry to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I know my neighbors 7 year old went to two parties this weekend on Saturday afternoon and another on Sunday afternoon.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Just to clarify it's not Dublin so not level 3.
    But yes I was surprised none the less but it was outdoors and the class are together all day in school anyway.
    Because there has been one now, attended by all but 1, I was wondering what to do as he wants one in 2 weeks. We probably won't. We didn't have one for his younger sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Level 2 restrictions are for Outdoor gatherings of up to 15 from no more than 3 households, so even if outside Dublin, that party should not have been allowed to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

My 8yo went to one about 2 weeks ago. The mam let us know that there were only 3 kids coming, from 2 classes at school. She had a bouncy castle for them so they were outside and told the neighbour kids they could come back the next day for a go if their parents allowed and she gave it a clean down overnight. She also had them wash and sanitize hands regularly and had no bowls of food for them to dip into, she did up individual plates for each kid and they could ask for more. I was happy enough with this. With dublin at level 3 she wouldn't have it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Haven't been to parties here, but there is one coming up. The parent is inviting only the children in the "pod" (5 children) and they are going to the local park for a run around and a picnic. Non-contact, outdoors. That's low risk imho, it's the same children they sit next to all day long anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

We’ve been to 2 parties over the summer but both were outdoors, somewhat socially distanced (a picnic so everyone had their own “family blanket” and an organized kids outdoor forest type thing which was mainly just kids and a handful of parents). They were both crèche parties so the kids are together everyday anyway so I was happy enough.

I think I’ll just look at each invite as they come from now on and take the type of party and the current COVID situation / regulations into account before deciding whether he can go or not. I don’t think there are any more crèche birthdays due for a few months thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

All sounds fine but the weather is such a gamble. We've decided not to host one. At this age its all or nothing with the class group. I hope no more invites come

Advertisement