Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Home Hands-Free (~€48 in Currys UK)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

That's a solid price and well worth snapping up. There's a successor due soon but it won't be anywhere near this price.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Thanks IP, snapped one up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Not available in my nearest store - so ordered through UK site - €45 + Parcel Motel!

Using it to pair (in stereo mode) to one I already have in the kitchen!

Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭carr62

I don't have any of these but thinking of buying a couple for my teenagers to have in their rooms. Plan to hold to them and give them for xmas . Can anyone advise if Google home or echo dot is more suitable? All I know is that they have iPhones, and listen to Spotify. Thanks for any advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

carr62 wrote: »
    I don't have any of these but thinking of buying a couple for my teenagers to have in their rooms. Plan to hold to them and give them for xmas . Can anyone advise if Google home or echo dot is more suitable? All I know is that they have iPhones, and listen to Spotify. Thanks for any advice!

Personal preference as far as I can see, since Spotify will work on both.

I have both, and I must admit after a year or so, that i now prefer my Google home, but in saying that in my opinion the sound was better from my dog, than the Google minis.

For clarity, I've only got android in the house, no Apple products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Masala

Is this the same concept as Alexa???? I have an Alexa... so not sure if I need this as well???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Sound quality would be much better from the Google Home than the Echo Dot
    They work fine with Spotify and iPhones .... you can link a Spotify account or just cast directly from the Spotify app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭matchthis

Masala wrote: »
    Is this the same concept as Alexa???? I have an Alexa... so not sure if I need this as well???

Yes an alternative to Alexa. I chose this option as I use google play music. Have some smart sockets too, so can command to turn on/off lights. Handy at Christmas and can now also tell it to turn down the tv if it's too loud and I'm in bed as supported by tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Price seems good but a lot of rumours of the new version Nest Home launching. May explain the lowered price.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Price seems good but a lot of rumours of the new version Nest Home launching. May explain the lowered price.

It's periodically been as low as this in the past but rather infrequently. There is absolutely a new version on the way but it'll be significantly more expensive than this is right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭living

I have both, Google home and Alexa...the IA in Google Home is much better than the Alexa one. If the question is a bit complicated Alexa just answers nonsense.

The same with Spotify, if you don't specify the artist...many times you get a weird version of the song requested. With Google you get always the most popular version.

The only 2 things that I prefer about Alexa are the design and the micro sensitivity.

So I would go for this Google Home personally.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

living wrote: »
    I have both, Google home and Alexa...the IA in Google Home is much better than the Alexa one. If the question is a bit complicated Alexa just answers nonsense.

The same with Spotify, if you don't specify the artist...many times you get a weird version of the song requested. With Google you get always the most popular version.

The only 2 things that I prefer about Alexa are the design and the micro sensitivity.

I have a Google home mini and an Alexa built into my sound bar. That has been my experience as well. Google home is far better. The only thing I ask Alexa these days is when are my Amazon packages are going to arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Hey there. I have the Echo Dot in my parents' house and my Google Home in my own apartment. I prefer the Google Home. I use it for Spotify all the time. To be honest they are much of a muchness, if your teenagers don't have the Echo dot either, it's worth keeping an eye on Amazon for them as they often go down on sale to £29.99 so would be cheaper again than this. Great speaker too. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Echo-Dot-3rd-Gen-Charcoal/dp/B07PJV3JPR/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=echo+dot&qid=1598473327&sr=8-1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

I don't know if the Google Home will be better than the recent experiences I've been having with my Google Nest Hub (bought January). But something has changed recently with the software/microphone as it was never as bad as it is now. For example:

Me: Ok Google, set a one minute and 30 second timer
    Google: Timer set for 2 hours and 25 minutes (ie. it set it for 1:30pm later that day!)

Me: Ok Google, turn on the Island light
    Google: <starts playing Zig and Zag's Turn on Your Landing Light on youtube> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQqMDDhcRmo

Plus many other examples of it not understanding me even if I'm standing beside it and speaking clearly.

Yet I have a 3 year original Alexa Echo Mini plugged in on the far side of the kitchen and it never misunderstands me, even from a distance...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

viking wrote: »
    I don't know if the Google Home will be better than the recent experiences I've been having with my Google Nest Hub (bought January). But something has changed recently with the software/microphone as it was never as bad as it is now. For example:

Me: Ok Google, set a one minute and 30 second timer
    Google: Timer set for 2 hours and 25 minutes (ie. it set it for 1:30pm later that day!)

Me: Ok Google, turn on the Island light
    Google: <starts playing Zig and Zag's Turn on Your Landing Light on youtube> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQqMDDhcRmo

Plus many other examples of it not understanding me even if I'm standing beside it and speaking clearly.

Yet I have a 3 year original Alexa Echo Mini plugged in on the far side of the kitchen and it never misunderstands me, even from a distance...

I'd delete you're voice recognition, reset that device and reinstall your personal voice recognition again on Google home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I have Google Homes and Spotify and like them and all but I don't find this to be always true at all. It is a frustration I have. Example ask it to play "Kodaline Brand New Day' it plays an acoustic version. I would be interested to know if anyone has the same experiences. I cant comment on Alexa maybe it is an issue with smart assistants and app integration.

henke wrote: »
    I have Google Homes and Spotify and like them and all but I don't find this to be always true at all. It is a frustration I have. Example ask it to play "Kodaline Brand New Day' it plays an acoustic version. I would be interested to know if anyone has the same experiences. I cant comment on Alexa maybe it is an issue with smart assistants and app integration.

Funnily enough, I tried yesterday and Alexa played the "correct" one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Funnily enough, I tried yesterday and Alexa played the "correct" one :D

Did you get the wrong one on Google as well? I think both systems have their flaws but would hope in more time they get even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What might steer you one way or another as well is if you have some sort of plug in device for your TV such as a Chromecast or a fire stick, can't speak for the Amazon integration but if I say to my nest mini "Play The Good Place on Netflix" it immediately opens Netflix on my Chromecast and plays the next episode.

henke wrote: »
    Did you get the wrong one on Google as well? I think both systems have their flaws but would hope in more time they get even better.

Yes, I got the wrong one on Google too, and I tried many combinations :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Would be nice to have a couple of these around the house, but thinking of getting Nest Hub for the kitchen

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058107868

Anyone used both together? I presume they will work fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Anyone know if the 3 months GPM is still valid, or if it can be used for existing subscribers?

LowOdour wrote: »
    Would be nice to have a couple of these around the house, but thinking of getting Nest Hub for the kitchen

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058107868

Anyone used both together? I presume they will work fine

All of the Google speakers & Hubs work together so you can mix and match what you want and where.

Advertisement