Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-06-2020, 12:48   #1
JikoKanri

Kayaking along the river Lee: from Gougane Barra to Cork

Hello, my name is Tomas and I'm new to this forum. I want to do this expedition from Gougane Barra to Cork next year, and I'm currently in the research phase. I would like to contact experienced kayakers to gather information on permit requirements, mandatory safety gear, camping possibilities, etc.

My main concern is the legal aspect of kayaking a river and camping in Ireland, about which I am totally ignorant. Is it ok to contact Garda to inquire about this, or there's a specific government entity/department I could call?

My second concern is obstacles along the way (e.g. Inniscarra Hydro Station, white waters, etc), so if anyone has experience with this specific route, I'd like to hear about that.

For context, I am a touring kayaker with experience in my country, but in Ireland it would be my first tour. I would not do this alone, but with a group of friends. We don't plan to angle along the way, and we don't plan to do anything that's not legal.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers.
Advertisement
29-06-2020, 17:29   #2
WildWater

I'm not from that part of the country but I would suggest contacting these folks:

http://www.phoenixkayakclub.com

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion