Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Echo Dot (3rd Gen) - €30.99 (or potentially FREE upgrade if you own 2nd Gen)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

Am I the only person whos shocked that the dot has to be left plugged in?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭Basq

audi02 wrote: »
    Am I the only person whos shocked that the dot has to be left plugged in?!
    Would you rather it be battery charged? :confused:

Basq wrote: »
    Would you rather it be battery charged? :confused:

I just presumed itd be like all wireless speakers these days ....so me been the clown I am plugged it out, left it on the kitchen island and was roarin "Alexa" for about 10 minutes before I copped!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Picked one up in Ashbourne today.
    Thanks OP.

I have a Gen 2 coming as part of a deal with my Hive thermostat kit so I’ll decide whether to keep one, or any of them over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭jc77

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    I think they sound terrific, already have the Echo which sounds fantastic and fills a room.

The Echo dot sounds nearly as good but just a bit less meaty/volume which is understandable considering its size and price.

I bought one & am impressed with it. So far, I only use it for playing radio stations in kitchen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    I think they sound terrific, already have the Echo which sounds fantastic and fills a room.

The Echo dot sounds nearly as good but just a bit less meaty/volume which is understandable considering its size and price.

The cost of the Home isn't justified for the meagre sound improvement it has over the Mini. That money would be spent on better speakers and a Chromecast audio.

Anyone see any smart plugs on offer for black Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

These work perfectly with Alexa. Not sure if the discount code works anymore but the device can be got from AliExpress etc for cheap enough.

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057901944

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Basq wrote: »
    So, a little tip for ye this morning..

Argos are selling the Echo Dot 3rd Gen for a very reasonable €30.99.

https://m.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?searchTerms=Echo%2520dot

But if you own a 2nd Gen, CEX will currently give you €31 for A condition (now you'll need original box for that price) or €27 for B condition (no box).

So, potentially free or €4 depending if you've box or not.

Just picked up my dot this evening. Very impressive audio from this little thing, I have the standard echo and this performs very well in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Hang tight, I got TP link smart plugs in the last Black Friday sale for 12 quid each, they’ll surely reduce some this year too. Great invention, have mine hooked up to the electric blanket :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'd also be interested in some smart plugs. Will they work with the dot straight out of the box or do I need some kind of hub to go with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

markc1184 wrote: »
    I'd also be interested in some smart plugs. Will they work with the dot straight out of the box or do I need some kind of hub to go with them?

I have the TP-Link Kasa plugs and they are stand alone. Set them up on the kasa app and you can then add the TP-Link Kasa skill to your Alexa and use them. They work well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

markc1184 wrote: »

Think amazon in selling the dot and a plug as a bundle for £35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭webpal

Hang tight, I got TP link smart plugs in the last Black Friday sale for 12 quid each, they’ll surely reduce some this year too. Great invention, have mine hooked up to the electric blanket :)

Was that you on Matt Copper yesterday evening! :D

webpal wrote: »

Not me I’m afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

It says on cex that they will only give €19 for Grade B and €25 for grade A??

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dubladdie

I think they have noticed now that you can buy it new in Argos for 25 quid....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Raoul

webpal wrote: »

I thought that too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

That's for black model, white ones are still 21 for B and 25 for A.

Dropped 3 in yesterday and taking a while to get a quote/tested.
    Already bought 3 x 3rd gen in Dublin Airport. Dixons in departures had them for €28.99 each :D

I got a Gen 2 from Hive as part of my thermostat kit.
    White and still in the box.

Liffey street are not taking anymore as they are over stocked with them.
    George’s street gave €25 for it today.
    I also have a 3rd Gen in sealed box but not sure whether to keep or not.

• Advertisement

Anyone see anything on smart WiFi plugs?

kceire wrote: »

3 TP link ones for £36. Can’t link to them as I’m on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

kceire wrote: »

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057931669

Advertisement