Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hal Higdon Half Marathon 3 (HM3)

Options
  • 26-05-2019 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Not sure if I should be creating a new thread here, but I didn't see one that was directly related to the topic at hand. Basically, I'm looking for some advice/feedback on the Hal Higdon Half Marathon 3 training program. Specifically, I'm wondering if anyone on here has tried it, and how successful/unsuccessful it was.

A bit of background on myself. I ran my first half in Barcelona earlier this year, with no structured training routine, other than a bit of residual GAA fitness, and 1-2 runs per week, where I just added on more km's each time. Looking back on it, and from what I now know, this was a naive way of approaching it, but I completed it in 1:57 which was decent enough considering my training. I now want to take a more structured, systematic approach, with a proper training plan - in an effort to beat 1:50, or at least get under 1:55. I've been looking at training plans online, and came across the Hal Higdon one. It appeals to me as, due to work commitments (mostly travel), I can't train 5-6 times a week, as most conventional training plans recommend. 3 times a week is perfect for me, but I would appreciate any feedback or opinions on the plan.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Might have been good to link to the plan. Have done a basic HH marathon schedule so I’ve no doubt it will get you around, and you’ll probably improve on last time out anyway so should hit the goal. Mind you, you seem to want to improve, and 3 runs per week isn’t a big commitment, so if you want to really explore your potential you might reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Thanks for the feedback Murph_D.

Just an update on my original post (I completely forgot to post an update on here until something reminded me to do so just now :pac:). In the end, I followed the Hal Higdon Half Marathon 3 training program (Link: https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/half-marathon-training/half-marathon-3/) for the Dublin Rock 'n' Roll half marathon back in August and I managed a time of 1:48 - which is a 9 minute improvement on my first half marathon time. Granted, I completed my first half with little structured training, but I was still impressed with the Hal Higdon program. Just thought it might be worth considering to those who have busy schedules.

Advertisement