Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-05-2019, 20:16   #1
Tigerandahalf

There are lots of ways to cheat.....

I came across this article on google newstand. Incredible the lengths people will go to, to cheat.

Dr. Frank Meza Facing Scrutiny after Record Breaking Marathons.
https://www.marathoninvestigation.co...marathons.html
Advertisement
29-05-2019, 20:25   #2
Effects

A quote from the link: "I am not out to harm or discredit Dr. Meza. I have no agenda, I could have written about his results and the questions surrounding them two years ago."

He does have an agenda. To catch cheaters. I admire his work and attention to detail.
Thanks from:
29-05-2019, 23:43   #3
jamule

Meet Frank, the new Kip, same as the old Kip
30-05-2019, 09:17   #4
TFBubendorfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamule View Post
Meet Frank, the new Kip, same as the old Kip
No, this is way worse. That guy is "running" age-group world records, receiving prizes for age group wins and possibly sponsorship money as well. All that should have gone to honest runners, not a fraud.

This isn't just some sad idiot cheating, this is a criminal in my eyes.
30-05-2019, 12:41   #5
robinph

Send a message via ICQ to robinph Send a message via AIM to robinph Send a message via MSN to robinph Send a message via Yahoo to robinph Send a message via Skype™ to robinph
Most of the stories he covers are generally someone being an idiot and not realising what they have done, then get caught but rather than fess up try to make excuses and end up making a tit of themselves. I notice that he's not followed up on the V60 female age group winner from London Marathon after the initial post, but that person has since removed their run from Strava and been removed from the results so presumably realised the error and admitted it so moved on.

This guy seems to have been very deliberate over many years and rather than just spotting that there was a bit of a shortcut possible on the day they have actually figured out where the timing mats are for multiple different events and also timed their short cuts to very close to be just about believable and still make the timing mats without recording stupidly fast times. That is definitely up there in terms of the stories he's uncovered, where most I think are people just thinking part way round "this running lark is tough, lets hop in the van/ take a shortcut" in the spur of the moment.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-06-2019, 18:24   #6
rom

This is my favourite one.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.co...iming-2nd.html

- He bought her finish photo in high res, zoomed in and saw they it was 1.5 Miles short. Wow
08-06-2019, 21:08   #7
Lazare

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
This is my favourite one.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.co...iming-2nd.html

- He bought her finish photo in high res, zoomed in and saw they it was 1.5 Miles short. Wow
I just can't get my head around the mentality of that. Forget the utter stupidity for a second, cycling the course later ffs. What was she gonna do once she qualified for this elite group, go and underperform everywhere?

Boggles the mind.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion