Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There are lots of ways to cheat.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

A quote from the link: "I am not out to harm or discredit Dr. Meza. I have no agenda, I could have written about his results and the questions surrounding them two years ago."

He does have an agenda. To catch cheaters. I admire his work and attention to detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Meet Frank, the new Kip, same as the old Kip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

jamule wrote: »
    Meet Frank, the new Kip, same as the old Kip

No, this is way worse. That guy is "running" age-group world records, receiving prizes for age group wins and possibly sponsorship money as well. All that should have gone to honest runners, not a fraud.

This isn't just some sad idiot cheating, this is a criminal in my eyes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Most of the stories he covers are generally someone being an idiot and not realising what they have done, then get caught but rather than fess up try to make excuses and end up making a tit of themselves. I notice that he's not followed up on the V60 female age group winner from London Marathon after the initial post, but that person has since removed their run from Strava and been removed from the results so presumably realised the error and admitted it so moved on.

This guy seems to have been very deliberate over many years and rather than just spotting that there was a bit of a shortcut possible on the day they have actually figured out where the timing mats are for multiple different events and also timed their short cuts to very close to be just about believable and still make the timing mats without recording stupidly fast times. That is definitely up there in terms of the stories he's uncovered, where most I think are people just thinking part way round "this running lark is tough, lets hop in the van/ take a shortcut" in the spur of the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

This is my favourite one.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2017/02/runner-disqualified-after-claiming-2nd.html

- He bought her finish photo in high res, zoomed in and saw they it was 1.5 Miles short. Wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

rom wrote: »
    This is my favourite one.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2017/02/runner-disqualified-after-claiming-2nd.html

- He bought her finish photo in high res, zoomed in and saw they it was 1.5 Miles short. Wow

I just can't get my head around the mentality of that. Forget the utter stupidity for a second, cycling the course later ffs. What was she gonna do once she qualified for this elite group, go and underperform everywhere?

Boggles the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Sad news here -

L.A. Marathon cheating scandal: 70-year-old disqualified runner found dead
    in L.A. River.
    https://abc7-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/abc7.com/amp/sports/70-year-old-disqualified-la-marathon-runner-found-dead/5379340/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

I hope this wakes up the witch hunters on letsrun etc about the consequences of their anonymous harassment. People go way too far and try and destroy people's lives all because they cheated in a marathon. Trial and sentenced by the vindictive mob.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Fusitive wrote: »
    I hope this wakes up the witch hunters on letsrun etc about the consequences of their anonymous harassment. People go way too far and try and destroy people's lives all because they cheated in a marathon. Trial and sentenced by the vindictive mob.

Was there really much more than people calling him out online, had there been any real world contact other than by the Marathon Investigation chap and the Boston Marathon winner/ RW editor?

I think there may have been some action by his school in disassociating themselves from him, but that can't be blamed on LetsRun other than LetsRun being where his cheating was highlighted and so rightfully the school then cut ties.

It's not like he was a former poster on LetsRun finding himself being ostracised by his community. It's just a noisy corner of the running internet with a sprinkling of trolls and I doubt he had ever heard of it until a month ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Whatever about anything else he was someone who just loved to run, like we all do, and that's a very sad end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Letsrun is a pretty toxic environment. That said, no one thought that this was literally a life and death issue except,tragically, Dr. Maza himself. So. I’d give the guys who investigated this a pass. It is extremely unfortunate that it was not one or two marathons and/or that he did not fess up before the non running media got hold of the story and that it then careered out of control with an alleged California ADA getting involved on his behalf, legal threats, etc, etc. If he had, it would have blown over and non runners would not have cared. As it was he was so vested in his identity as a runner/coach he could not let it go. In other parts of his life he seemed an admirable individual - providing medical services to low income communities. Bewildering.

Go for a run, but when you get back hug the partner, spouse, kids and parents.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Letsrun is a pretty toxic environment. That said, no one thought that this was literally a life and death issue except,tragically, Dr. Maza himself. So. I’d give the guys who investigated this a pass. It is extremely unfortunate that it was not one or two marathons and/or that he did not fess up before the non running media got hold of the story and that it then careered out of control with an alleged California ADA getting involved on his behalf, legal threats, etc, etc. If he had, it would have blown over and non runners would not have cared. As it was he was so vested in his identity as a runner/coach he could not let it go. In other parts of his life he seemed an admirable individual - providing medical services to low income communities. Bewildering.

Go for a run, but when you get back hug the partner, spouse, kids and parents.

No, it's what always happens with letsrun. It starts off with a thread on possible cheating, people uncover a bit of evidence and it quickly develops into harassment where family members and the people involved are personally targeted.

The people they are harassing are people who cheated in marathons, hardly the end of the world and many go expressly after them to ruin their lives. It's happened on that site since Kip Litton and it goes on in every thread.

This if they admitted it craic is a red herring and I know people didn't expect what happened to happen but neither of those are reason to go after someone in total bloodlust under the veil of anonymity to try and ruin someone's life which is exactly what happens every time because someone cheated in a race and I suppose the mob themselves are pure angelic.

There is no justifiable reason for the harassment that goes on there, blame him for cheating all you want but most of the stuff that follows is way past the mark and less about getting results nullified and bans in place than straight up harassment from a bunch of vindictive idiots trying to take someone they don't even know down a few notches.

No, it's what always happens with letsrun. It starts off with a thread on possible cheating, people uncover a bit of evidence and it quickly develops into harassment where family members and the people involved are personally targeted.

The people they are harassing are people who cheated in marathons, hardly the end of the world and many go expressly after them to ruin their lives. It's happened on that site since Kip Litton and it goes on in every thread.

This if they admitted it craic is a red herring and I know people didn't expect what happened to happen but neither of those are reason to go after someone in total bloodlust under the veil of anonymity to try and ruin someone's life which is exactly what happens every time because someone cheated in a race and I suppose the mob themselves are pure angelic.

There is no justifiable reason for the harassment that goes on there, blame him for cheating all you want but most of the stuff that follows is way past the mark and less about getting results nullified and bans in place than straight up harassment from a bunch of vindictive idiots trying to take someone they don't even know down a few notches.

There no evidence of harassment of family members that I’ve seen. Not to speak I’ll of the dead but the aggressive defense and veiled legal threats provoked a response and generated a story, Once he gave a denial interview to a pretty sympathetic LA Times things blew up.

Never did I think I ever defend letsrun but fair is fair. Not going to rehash this we probably will not agree.

There no evidence of harassment of family members that I’ve seen. Not to speak I’ll of the dead but the aggressive defense and veiled legal threats provoked a response and generated a story, Once he gave a denial interview to a pretty sympathetic LA Times things blew up.

Never did I think I ever defend letsrun but fair is fair. Not going to rehash this we probably will not agree.

I'm talking in general about getting family and friends involved over the numerous other threads about race cheats. If you don't think those threads cross the line, that's your view but I seen first hand accounts of people personally targeting people involved and the anonymous witch hunts on the forums. You get evidence of someone cheating, you turn it over the RD's, you don't start cybertstalking the people, start digging into their personal connections and start cybertstalking them. It's the same thing every time.

Kip Litton
    Iran marathons
    Rob Young
    Mike Rossi

No matter what you think of them and their "crimes", you surely cant stand and say they deserved what they got.

I thought Malmo put it brilliantly in that new thread.

"In the civilised world, you don't stone someone for a parking ticket"

Would you see any of the faceless mob go up to the door of someone in the real world and start stalking and harassing someone and digging up all their connections who cheated in a race?

All they are doing is doxxing someone for revenge. When one of the mods on letsrun(which is lightly moderated to say the least) is emailing Romo and Wejo to tell them to delete the Mesa thread a month ago, That says enough.

I'm talking in general about getting family and friends involved over the numerous other threads about race cheats. If you don't think those threads cross the line, that's your view but I seen first hand accounts of people personally targeting people involved and the anonymous witch hunts on the forums. You get evidence of someone cheating, you turn it over the RD's, you don't start cybertstalking the people, start digging into their personal connections and start cybertstalking them. It's the same thing every time.

Kip Litton
    Iran marathons
    Rob Young
    Mike Rossi

No matter what you think of them and their "crimes", you surely cant stand and say they deserved what they got.

I thought Malmo put it brilliantly in that new thread.

"In the civilised world, you don't stone someone for a parking ticket"

Would you see any of the faceless mob go up to the door of someone in the real world and start stalking and harassing someone and digging up all their connections who cheated in a race?

All they are doing is doxxing someone for revenge. When one of the mods on letsrun(which is lightly moderated to say the least) is emailing Romo and Wejo to tell them to delete the Mesa thread a month ago, That says enough.

Again I have not seen or heard of any family harassment. Having said that, Rossi had no problem taking his kids principal out in the public media when he removed him without permission to go to the Boston marathon in place of a qualified runner. Given his track record (pun intended) since, yeah he got what he deserved, which was little more than disqualification and notoriety. The Lehigh Marathon and Via health systems were the big losers. Litton used his running exploits to push his dentistry business and aggressively went after those who questioned him. Again, can you tell me what else he suffered other than DQs, ridicule and the loss of business goodwill ? Rossi is local to me,soul genuinely don’t know if there were angry mobs faceless or otherwise at his door step. There are always keyboard warriors, but the investigation and qusetions focused on the provable facts. With respect, we should all try to do the same.

I’m very sorry about Maza but as I said above he chose to fight back very aggressively, go public and god him alone was it a life and death issue.

Ok, I’m out.

Again I have not seen or heard of any family harassment. Having said that, Rossi had no problem taking his kids principal out in the public media when he removed him without permission to go to the Boston marathon in place of a qualified runner. Given his track record (pun intended) since, yeah he got what he deserved, which was little more than disqualification and notoriety. The Lehigh Marathon and Via health systems were the big losers. Litton used his running exploits to push his dentistry business and aggressively went after those who questioned him. Again, can you tell me what else he suffered other than DQs, ridicule and the loss of business goodwill ? Rossi is local to me,soul genuinely don’t know if there were angry mobs faceless or otherwise at his door step. There are always keyboard warriors, but the investigation and qusetions focused on the provable facts. With respect, we should all try to do the same.

I’m very sorry about Maza but as I said above he chose to fight back very aggressively, go public and god him alone was it a life and death issue.

Ok, I’m out.

Frank Meza's address and phone number was posted in that thread, they also tried to destroy his buisness by leaving comments on it's website.

Moyaedi's story went from cheating to affairs, threesomes and swinging with people who were named and attacked on Facebook and the Iran marathons page as well as her own personal page.

Rossi's twitter was a sh!t show. His arrogance led to the principal being harassed and he got harassed by the very people who had a problem with it. Does that make them better than him? it's just obvious revenge

Litton didnt cheat to push his dentist business, he set up a shady charity for his sons Cystic Fibrosis. He also didn't aggressively pursue anyone. He emailed the brojo's in a non-agressive way and denied just like he did with the New Yorker and never done anything like trying to sue anyone. Where is your proof of those claims? Anyone who was close to Litton and who defended him was also doxxed and all the info posted online about them.

I'm not sticking up for those cheats btw but it's also possible to hold an opinion that the personal harrasment and lies and speculation is way over the top and more akin to less tech-savvy 4chan doxxing. Two wrongs don't make a right but that's just my view of the weight of the situations.

Advertisement