Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless HomeKit security camera

Options
  • 19-11-2019 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Looking to add a wireless security camera to the front door preferably with no subscription costs and richer notifications that my original ring doorbell provides. Iv had my eye on the EufyCam 2 but it was just launched in the states so it’s a mystery as to how long it will take to reach Europe.

https://www.eufylife.com/products/variant/eufycam/T88411D1

The Arlo pro 2 seems to offer similar/better features but it seems most of the good features (rich notifications, person detection etc) are only unlocked with the monthly subscription. Any experience with arlo on the free plan or is best and worth it forking out the subscription fee. Or is there other better options out there?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

blink44 wrote:
    The Arlo pro 2 seems to offer similar/better features but it seems most of the good features (rich notifications, person detection etc) are only unlocked with the monthly subscription. Any experience with arlo on the free plan or is best and worth it forking out the subscription fee. Or is there other better options out there?

I wasn't massively impressed with the Arlo free plan TBH.

Maybe it's better now.

Some of the Chinese cameras offer a bit more for less, Yi cameras for example.

I'd the original ring camera too, I've the nest hello now.

What do you want facial recognition for?

I've it on mine and it will announce it on the speakers, but that's about it really.

I had to pay to unlock the ring and nest cameras, I've nest external cameras too, I find them very good, I only pay for features on the hello camera though.

Overall I miss the IFTT features on the ring camera, access to the motion detector to switch on a light is very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Stoner wrote: »
    I wasn't massively impressed with the Arlo free plan TBH.

Maybe it's better now.

Some of the Chinese cameras offer a bit more for less, Yi cameras for example.

I'd the original ring camera too, I've the nest hello now.

What do you want facial recognition for?

I've it on mine and it will announce it on the speakers, but that's about it really.

I had to pay to unlock the ring and nest cameras, I've nest external cameras too, I find them very good, I only pay for features on the hello camera though.

Overall I miss the IFTT features on the ring camera, access to the motion detector to switch on a light is very useful.

Not facial recognition, person detection. I want HomeKit as well as from what iv seen the camera feed activates a lot quicker with that and a lot of them seem to give a preview in the notification rather than the generic “motion detected at front door” and no image.

Arlo pro 2 looks great but needs a subscription for all the best features. Just heard eufycam 2 will launch late December / early January in Europe so that might be worth waiting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Here is a review of some of the main wireless cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

In the same boat. Looking for 2 or 3 HomeKit cameras.

Preferably with the secure video feature. Logitech Circle 2 is an option. Available for about 120UK on Amazon but should be a good deal on black friday.

Rumour is that camera may go end of life soon with a new one next year..so thats a bit of a risk.

Also watching to see if any of the Xiaomi cameras get HomeKit compatibility or can be added to HK via the Aqara hub which is a great way to add sensors 12 Euro for a leak detector 14 for a motion detector is hard to beat and works well!

fasterbetter

I took the plunge and bought a logitech circle 2 wireless camera from amazon on black friday.

Forgot of course that the wireless ones dont work in secure video, only wired ones

Then found a hack online to make the wireless one work as a wired one.. (involves a bit of electrical tape.)

So switched to Apple secure video ( I already had a decent storage allowance)

So far so good. using it at 1080P, Quality is excellent. I am still figuring out the best way to manage the alerts.

Going to buy a second wired one now for the back of the house. If you top up a gift card with 80 you get 86 credit. Plenty of warehouse ones for about 80. So reckon thats not too bad.

Homekit getting really useful now (at last!) with the real cheap aquara sensors and the secure video.

Will update on any significant developments

faster better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

blink44 wrote: »
    Looking to add a wireless security camera to the front door preferably with no subscription costs and richer notifications that my original ring doorbell provides. Iv had my eye on the EufyCam 2 but it was just launched in the states so it’s a mystery as to how long it will take to reach Europe.

I bought the EufyCam2C last week on Amazon.co.uk for £190 . (Two cameras and a base station)
    Takes no time to set up. It's plug in and pair.

Happy so far, notifications are instant and the recording is saved to the base station or you van download to your phone if you want.

Hi Niallers1

Very interested....Its coming up at #249 at the moment which is a bit steep but at 190 I would be very interested.

Can you view the camera from within the Home app?

Any feedback on battery life at this stage.?

HSV is due soon will be interesting to see how that works...

I'm still surviving ok with the circle 2. Actually caught a prowler in the back garden last week and was able to mail decent quality videos to the gardai!

faster better

Battery seems fine.
    Pity about the price change, I saw it yesterday for £250 with a £50 pound discount. Keep an eye out, it could be down again next week.

It works with Alexa, Google home and Apple.

The EufyCam App is excellent. Very easy and intuitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Hi Niallers1

Very interested....Its coming up at #249 at the moment which is a bit steep but at 190 I would be very interested.

€199 on amazon italy at the moment.

peteb2 wrote: »
    €199 on amazon italy at the moment.

Well spotted

• Advertisement

Thanks Peteb2 I'm looking at that now...good price. delivery is about 9E so still a lot cheaper than UK site.

It's 209 pounds today on Amazon UK.

249 with a 40 pound discount voucher

niallers1 wrote: »
    It's 209 pounds today on Amazon UK.

249 with a 40 pound discount voucher

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07W4MY7HL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pzZoEbKKE5TGG

249 pounds with a 50 pound discount today

Advertisement