Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring house

Options
  • 16-11-2019 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I realise there are many posts on this but many I found were several years old so would like a modern take.

Just got a dormer and it's evident a rewire is needed.

Have an idea about getting extra sockets and downlighters but more thinking about complimentary items during the rewire, particularly smart home stuff and security:

Apologies for these questions if they're very obvious

Is Cat6 worth the extra cost? I understand there's a big speed difference between wired and wireless but is it worth the additional maintenance and time spent on setup in terms of routers and switches and figuring out end points?

I assume we will end up using sky or virgin at some point for tv. I heard they use a different cabling system so is there any ubiquitous cable we could install or should that just be left aside?

The house comes with a working alarm but it seems quite old. If we get a new one can they usually just use the existing setup?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

Cat6 yes ,run it from your 'Comms' room to wherever needed

Keep spotlights to a minimum imo

Most useful ime is PIRs for walkways , stairs toilets,kitchen ,outside entrances ,etc

I'm old school but a lot of the smart stuff is pointless tbh

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Twister2 wrote: »
    I'm old school but a lot of the smart stuff is pointless tbh

I live the home automation stuff. I have lots of it.
    It is becoming so cheap, powerful, user friendly and things like smart heating controls can result in a significant cost saving. Google Sonoff TH16 and see just what you can do for under €20. It’s pretty impressive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Is Cat6 worth the extra cost? I understand there's a big speed difference between wired and wireless but is it worth the additional maintenance and time spent on setup in terms of routers and switches and figuring out end points?

The time it saves is the biggest advantage IMO

Wired devices give little trouble, you can change the wifi password without having to reset up all the wifi devices

A lot of the smart systems use a wired hub and have their own independent wifi network anyway.

Get a 24V doorbell traffo in your new fuseboard for smart doorbells if you ever want one.

2011 wrote: »
    I live the home automation stuff. I have lots of it.
    It is becoming so cheap, powerful, user friendly and things like smart heating controls can result in a significant cost saving. Google Sonoff TH16 and see just what you can do for under €20. It’s pretty impressive.

TH16 is decent enough ,can replace Timing and Stats on your heating system for example

There is a lot of needless smarthome and automation imo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Twister2 wrote: »
    TH16 is decent enough ,can replace Timing and Stats on your heating system for example

Indeed. I recommend one per zone valve and one for the boiler.

There is a lot of needless smarthome and automation imo

I like my Nest Hello video doorbell although it was expensive. I also like Philips Hue lighting, Google Home and Nest smoke detectors.

Advertisement