Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leather strap watch under €500

Options
  • 06-11-2019 5:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Looking for recommendations for a watch with a leather strap, preferably brown. Gift for 30year old guy. My budget is €500. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That's very vague criteria.

Is he in to watches, does he have a particular style which would appeal to him? Do you want this to be a watch he is wearing in 20 years time and remembering where he got it and who got it for him?

This website (as many more) allows you to filter by normal criteria.

https://www.watches.com/collections/dress-watches/leather+men+brown

Personally, I like Rose Gold with Brown Leather and I have one of the following but I do feel it doesn't match very well with a lot of regular colour schemed colours, blues, blacks, navy, white etc. It was more than €500 when I got it but can see it listed as much cheaper now albeit unavailable.

3d82c0ea-0946-44ad-ad2d-7784d0849f39_1.ec4edbc1d0588e5c727722e07d3790ee.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

• Registered Users Posts: 15 _leona_

That's very vague criteria.

Is he in to watches, does he have a particular style which would appeal to him? Do you want this to be a watch he is wearing in 20 years time and remembering where he got it and who got it for him?

This website (as many more) allows you to filter by normal criteria.

https://www.watches.com/collections/dress-watches/leather+men+brown

Personally, I like Rose Gold with Brown Leather and I have one of the following but I do feel it doesn't match very well with a lot of regular colour schemed colours, blues, blacks, navy, white etc. It was more than €500 when I got it but can see it listed as much cheaper now albeit unavailable.

3d82c0ea-0946-44ad-ad2d-7784d0849f39_1.ec4edbc1d0588e5c727722e07d3790ee.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

He wouldn't be overly into watches. He has a few watches, mostly bought for him as gifts over the years but wouldn't wear them on a daily basis. They are all metal.

He has admired leather ones in the past in shop windows etc. These had faces that were relatively sleek.

Exaxtly, the watch is a gift for his birthday so I would like to get him something that is good quality and going to last.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd go with stainless steel myself. It'll last longer than gold plated watches and it tends to match with more clothing styles.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

_leona_ wrote: »
    He wouldn't be overly into watches. He has a few watches, mostly bought for him as gifts over the years but wouldn't wear them on a daily basis. They are all metal.

He has admired leather ones in the past in shop windows etc. These had faces that were relatively sleek.

Exaxtly, the watch is a gift for his birthday so I would like to get him something that is good quality and going to last.

Well, €500 is a fair chunk to spend on something which someone is not overly in to, but, you obviously know who you are buying for and what you want to do.

Maybe go in to a local jeweller and ask them for advice, if there is a watch this guy does seem to like a lot, you could bring that and ask to use that as a reference point but you'd like to go the brown leather route.
    They should help you with options and maybe you could get the person who is involved to help make the final decision, even though it would reduce the surprise factor in receiving it, they'd be much more likely to be mad about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Going back to a few old W&T favourites here:

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/flieger-watch/nav-b-uhr-44-gun-metal-a-muster.html

Not a small watch. Lots of history etc behind this model - check out others on the site too.

Stowa don't have a watch at this price anymore :eek:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulova-Designer-Watch-Leather-Strap/dp/B01AJE2WAW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=bulova+moonwatch&qid=1573083311&sr=8-1

Loads of history here too. Looks just as good in the flesh - and nicely under budget. (Black Friday.....?)

Good luck, and I hope he enjoys whatever you buy him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

To be honest I think buying a watch for someone is a very difficult thing to do unless you know exactly what their tastes are. It's just too personal a thing and too big a range to choose from.

My advice would be to make the watch buying an experience for him. Take him to town, go to a few shops and see what he likes, go for a nice lunch, make a decision, buy the watch and then go have a nice drink to celebrate.

I have a good few watches but my wife would still really struggle to buy me one that 'just hits the spot' . Then again I am fussy!

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I’ve had presents of watches and they end up in a draw because putting it bluntly they are crap but what can you say when it’s a present apart from oh it’s lovely thanks very much, if the person isn’t that into watches then give them the money or buy them something else or both of you go shopping together and make a day of it

I got a present of a watch when leaving a previous company. 2 Days later, I was in the shop where it was bought, exchanging it for a gift card. I really appreciated the sentiment but I wasn't going to wear something I didn't like just because it had been gifted to me. That may be different if the OP is very close to this person but taste is so subjective, it is hard to get right.

As suggested previously OP, maybe getting the person involved would ensure a greater chance of success. You could tell them the budget is €400 and when they inevitably pick a watch which is closer to €500, you could tell them, 'fine, you'll buy it' to make them feel extra special. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Cienciano wrote: »

Based on the info given that is a good recommendation. Whether you're into watches or not, that's a very decent watch.

OP - thats very little info. You can put a leather strap of your choice on any watch. It's a bit like saying I want to buy my friend a red car. Any idea what kind of style he likes at all?

Edit: Totally missed your 2nd post, OP. I was so horrified by that rose gold watch that I scrolled right past it. :D No offence tmh sorry
    OP - go with that cocktail time, should get it cheaper than Seiko retail price too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Cocktail time is a great choice, brown dial available.

Seiko Presage SARY078 (SRPB46J1)

54EURLs.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's lovely - and for some reason Seiko's own product images often don't do their watches justice, so it's probably even nicer looking in the metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Have they downgraded the movement in those new presages?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bloody hell CC, that's a nice looking watch for that money. :eek: Especially with the power reserve and different to the usual date window indicator. I'd not seen that version before. I have seen the standard Presage and like Eoin noted Seikos tend to look nicer in the flesh.

Though I'd still go for the steel version over the "gold". Now gold plated is fine for occasional use, but it does tend to wear the years not so well. My personal opinion to be fair.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

fat bloke wrote: »
    Have they downgraded the movement in those new presages?

The current Presage Cocktail Time got a 4R movement unlike the original version which has a 6R inside. It's not a bad movement and pretty much anything sub $500 looks like it's getting it. The days of a $350 SARB with a 6R are finished, I think we will see a new version with a 4R sometime soon.

I always said the Sumo was under priced and now with the new 6R version it has become a $7-$800 watch. Time to grab a bargain and grab one of the older ones before prices go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I have the cocktail time albeit in black. As someone said the photos don't do then justice. Beautiful looking watch and gets comments to that effect when I wear it. I'd certainly recommend one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Eoin wrote: »
    That's lovely - and for some reason Seiko's own product images often don't do their watches justice, so it's probably even nicer looking in the metal.

All seiko official photos are terrible, you have to put the model number into YouTube to see them properly

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Mandzhalas

Tissot Visodate is a lovely watch.

If he's not overly into watches and doesn't wear them on a daily basis, he may not want or appreciate an automatic watch. It's easy to fall into the trap of recommending watches we would like ourselves.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I’ve over 60 watches
    Thank god. There's somebody dafter than me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I have trouble enough deciding which of my dirty dozen to wear...but with 60 I would never get to leave the house for indecision.

Speaking of Dirty dozen....maybe number 13...

Advertisement