Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetable pie recipe

Options
  • 04-11-2019 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭

I am gradually reducing the meat in my diet but I am a bit fed up with lasagne, chilli and curry. I would love a recipe for a vegetable pie if anyone has one. I hate mushrooms and feel like a lot of vegetarian dishes tend to focus on them, so no mushroom recommendations please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Speak of which, if you measure the circumference of the pumpkin and then divide it by its diameter, you get Pumpkin Pi. :D

Sorry David but I give that one only 3.14/10. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

During the War in the UK there was a famous vegetable pie called Lord Woolton Pie which would fit the need here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Recipe for Lord Woolton's Pie which manages to avoid mushrooms.

1lb cauliflower
    1lb parsnips
    1lb carrots
    1lb potatoes
    Bunch of spring onions chopped
    2 teaspoons of Marmite (I detest marmite so use a stock cube)
    Tablespoon of rolled oats
    Salt and pepper to taste once cooked.
    Parsley (fresh or dried)

For the pastry

8oz wholemeal/wholewheat flour
    4oz mashed potato
    3oz margarine or lard
    2 tsp of baking powder
    couple large pinches of salt
    Dash of water if needed.

Chop up the vegetables into chunks with those that take longest to cook into smaller pieces.
    Place in pot and bring to simmer with just enough water to reach 3/4 of the way up the veg in the pot.
    Add in Marmite and rolled oats, salt and pepper and cook until tender and most of the water has been absorbed.
    Place mixture in deep pie dish and sprinkle with fresh parsley (or add dry parsley to mixture and mix in)
    Make the pastry by mixing the flour with the baking powder and salt and then rubbing in the margarine.
    Mix the mashed potato in to form a dough and knead (add a little water to the mixture if too dry)
    Roll out to form pie crust and place on top and decorate then brush with milk.
    Place in oven at 200C for 30 minutes or so until top is form and browned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhh, nó...
    I'm not a parsnip fan, and that would just taste of parsnips...
    Make a bechamel sauce (not too thick)
    , take your favourite veg, depending on what's in season or available, (you may even like parsnips), but include onions, garlic, and celery... Sweat them down, add herbs of choice, add your bechamel, uchilli if you like,cheese if it suits (blue for a kick, strong cheddar, or just parmesan,
    Cover with a nice short crust pastry... (I'd use white flour(unless you can get a very finely ground wholemeal), wholemeal can taste like I'm trying to be good..)
    If you prefer do a savoury crumble top,
    Or just put the cheese and some breadcrumbs on the top and finish under the grill...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Celery URGH! Even worse than mushrooms :D
    I think Lord Woolton's Pie was designed more to be filling and relatively nutritional than anything else.
    At least the OP is getting a good selection of possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Celery URGH! Even worse than mushrooms :D
    I think Lord Woolton's Pie was designed more to be filling and relatively nutritional than anything else.
    At least the OP is getting a good selection of possibilities.

Agree and disagree on the celery, can't stand it as a veg, cooked or raw,
    But I always put it a soup, stew or veg thing, chop it small, and sweat it down with the onions,
    Won't taste it, but it adds huge depth..
    Made jambalaya (non veggie one) once and the reciepe included loads of celery... Almost didn't bother making it because of it... Well worth it...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement