Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming Vegan - finding it hard.

Options
  • 01-11-2019 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I watched Game Changers on Netflix and it’s been a huge eye opener. I’ve consciously not eaten any meat in close to a week which is a huge thing for me - although I have eaten a small bit of dairy.

The trouble I’m having is finding tasty, wholesome plant based food.

I’ve picked up a few vegan ready made meals which have been okay but I’m conscious that they’re still processed with a few questionable additives.

I work in construction so some cold mornings I want a warm wholesome meal. What can I be eating?

I’m also very active - what plant based food can I be eating before and after training?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Fair play to ya.

This isn't immediately helpful: you have to learn how to cook from scratch. Processed foods are at best a treat.

Start with something like beans on wholemeal toast. Top it with herbs, pepper, chopped garlic, roast nuts and a vegan parmesan substitute and it's great. Eat as much as you want, too. Wholewheat pasta and one of the many vegan sauces on the market is another great starter into cooking.

Spuds with loads of steamed veggies is easy, add a sausage, burger or pie on the side. Try Fry's curry pies if you like heat in your food, they are pretty amazing.

I'm no expert on training-type foods, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Work mornings I always have porridge. I put a good handful of mixed berries ( from Adli 1kg bag Four seasons fruit - I always keep it defrosted in the fridge, ready to use ) and mixed nuts in a bowl, top it with oats, add water and bang it in microwave for a couple of mins. I have an apple, banana and kiwi on the commute.
    Days off I like boxty in some garlic oil with lightly fried tomatoes and mushrooms, Yummm!
    Or sausages and waffles and baked beans.

And what David said - Learn to cook from scratch. The Happy Pear YouTube make it very easy for beginners.
    Gl.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Your taste buds will change over the next few weeks. I find most of the ready meals awful to be honest.

For mornings is porridge or even some home made soup an option? Linda McCartney sausages are handy enough (particularly if you have an airfryer), as has been mentioned beans on toast etc. You dont need to complicate things. Beans and pulses are a great source of protein, add lentils to dishes to bulk them out and they are great sources of protein.

Happy Pear & Bosh Brothers are great I find, and there are loads of vegan recipe groups on facebook. But as said above, learn to cook from scratch and you will be doing great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Danye

Thanks all.

Just regarding the sausages a few have mentioned - are they healthy or would they be processed? Similarly with the burgers? If they’re plant based, are they “healthy” I seen the Linda McCarthy ones alright.

They can be viewed as transitional food items.
    As time passes and you acquire more knowledge on cooking vegan recipes you will move away from them and focus more on wholefoods.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=111062423

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Indian good is good. Traditional approach is to use the, which is butter fat, but that's easy to substitute. Lots of tasty nutritious vegetarian dishes.

quorn mince makes good spaghetti bolognese, but ai think ot's not vegan come to think of it.

The Linda maccartney sausages were good when they were made from wheat protein. I'm not a fan since they switched to soy.

Tempeh is extremely nutritious and very tasty if done right. Season it and fry it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

A vegan goulash in a food flask makes a filling hot lunch.
    Fry 1 - 2 medium, finely chopped onions in a stockpot for 2 minutes, add 1 - 2 chopped carrots + a pinch of salt, fry for another 2 minutes, add 2 - 3 chopped potatoes, a chopped courgette, 200g chopped mushrooms, chopped red + yellow pepper, fry for another 2 minutes, add 800ml vegetable stock, 1 tin mixed beans, 1 tin chopped tomatoes, 2 - 3 tablespoons tomato paste, 1 tablespon of cumin, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Simmer until potatoes are cooked. Should make enough for 4 meals.

You can make a Shepherd's pie or cottage pie, substituting quorn mince for minced lamb or beef. Same with lasagne, bolognaise or chilli.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Quorn mince is not vegan it contains egg. I would suggest checking the ingredients of processed foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Don't feel you have to change all at once. What worked for me was starting with one meal and focusing on making that vegan and building on that. Took about 6 weeks to fully transition but it was easy enough. Well done and best of luck, lots of support here and online.

Loads of good advice here but unfortunately none of it touches upon the biggest challenge you'll face Danye.
    All vegans have gone through it. Well Irish at least. And it's this:
    'What milk do I put in me tea?!'
    I know! It's an enormous dilemma, but you will get through it, with our help. It could take up to a week to sort it out. Maybe even 10 days on your own! Don't listen to anybody who says it can't be done.
    I'll try and speed you along. Unsweetened soy milk. Give it a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

WHO recommendation is .66g of protein per kg body weight. 0.8g is probably better. You might struggle to consume enough.

Don’t worry too much about ‘complete’ protein. You are more likely to be low on overall protein than on lysine (or any other particular amino acid) unless your only protein source is wheat.

Seitan is higher in protein than meat. It is just flavored gluten. It is cheap to make from scratch. It has a spongy texture but you can change that somewhat by mixing gram flour in with the gluten.

Lack of protein is not an issue. Lack of sunshine might be…

Apparently 1.8 billion people are short of iron. And most people (i.e. not veg*ns) don't get enough B12.

You can get vegan quorn products but they're amongst the most highly-processed of foods. Another rule: no white sugar, white rice or white pasta. Get as close to the original food as you can.

Jackfruit cooked with red lentils and a can of chopped tomatoes, bit of salt & pepper & maybe chilli and garlic is absolute magic thrown onto your favourite pasta.

One last thing, there are some very informative vegan Facebook groups which exclude all the Farages you find on boards.ie - you'll soon get totally browned off with trolls here, Danye. The very best of luck to you. In a short time you'll wonder what took you so long to see the light.

One last thing, there are some very informative vegan Facebook groups which exclude all the Farages you find on boards.ie - you'll soon get totally browned off with trolls here, Danye. The very best of luck to you. In a short time you'll wonder what took you so long to see the light.

Also - everyone around you will suddenly become a nutrition expert and worry about your protein and B12 :D:D

Just came across this - might have some helpful bits you had not thought of https://youtu.be/HNz0MnfDcjk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Danye

Thanks a million guys for all your help and support. Really appreciate it.

I’m finding it easier these last few days as my awareness grows.

Thanks again :)

JustMe,K wrote: »
    Just came across this - might have some helpful bits you had not thought of https://youtu.be/HNz0MnfDcjk

Helpful. But Tesco is not your friend. Your local organic growers are your friends. Your local zero-waste shop is your friend. Your garden is your friend. Your veggie box deliverers are your friends. Supermarkets are not your friends.

Helpful. But Tesco is not your friend. Your local organic growers are your friends. Your local zero-waste shop is your friend. Your garden is your friend. Your veggie box deliverers are your friends. Supermarkets are not your friends.

I'd tend to agree, but those are not always accessible for everyone when they need them. Knowing what you are looking for in a supermarket is a good starting point for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Jackfruit cooked with red lentils and a can of chopped tomatoes, bit of salt & pepper & maybe chilli and garlic is absolute magic thrown onto your favourite pasta.

Are you using tinned or fresh jackfruit? I heard it can be used in savoury dishes but have only ever eaten it as a sweet fruit.

Are you using tinned or fresh jackfruit? I heard it can be used in savoury dishes but have only ever eaten it as a sweet fruit.

Tinned. Never had fresh or seen it in my locale. I love it, simply adore it. :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Tinned. Never had fresh or seen it in my locale. I love it, simply adore it. :eek::eek:

I was in an Asian shop in town (Dublin) one summer and I was given a sample of it. I fell in love, bought loads and made myself positively sick eating it. I have since bought it in tins but it's not the same. I will definitely try it in a savoury dish though.

I was in an Asian shop in town (Dublin) one summer and I was given a sample of it. I fell in love, bought loads and made myself positively sick eating it. I have since bought it in tins but it's not the same. I will definitely try it in a savoury dish though.

[Jackfruit]. Yes, I'm told it's gorgeous fresh, addictive. In tins it's the young jackfruit before it sweetens up. It seems to soak up flavours, having little itself, and this in combination with its texture make it a winner for me.

Don't expect the same or remotely like it in tins. Treat it like another food entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Hey all,

Have never posted here before, but like the OP I'm going to try to give a plant based diet a go. I've never really been a fan of meat, I like eggs but only occasionally. I think the thing I'll struggle with most is cheese, and milk in my coffee and tea although I'm starting to get used to unsweetened soya in a strong cuppa. I live with the world's greatest meat eater - he'd panic if I ever suggested a meat-free monday, but watching Game Changer, coupled with both of us gaining a lot of weight recently has spurred him and I to try to make some big changes. I NEVER thought I'd hear him even considering a plant based diet, so I'm striking while the iron is hot!
    I'm a pretty decent cook, but I've never had to think about vegan nutrition before. Beans, pulses etc were just never really in the meal rotation up till now as there would usually be a meat or fish protein in every evening meal at least. I like quinoa, lentils etc but incorporating them into our meals is going to take a complete rethink on shopping, meal prep etc. I think that in order to maintain the interest in the lifestyle, its important that we don't get stuck in a rut . Otherwise I can see us slipping back into our old ways.
    We dont get takeaways much, but if we were to, can anyone recommend somewhere decent near dublin 15? Eating out is not going to be a problem as theres so many good vegan places now.
    I'm going to be following this thread with interest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

nikpmup wrote: »
    Hey all,

Have never posted here before, but like the OP I'm going to try to give a plant based diet a go. I've never really been a fan of meat, I like eggs but only occasionally. I think the thing I'll struggle with most is cheese, and milk in my coffee and tea although I'm starting to get used to unsweetened soya in a strong cuppa. I live with the world's greatest meat eater - he'd panic if I ever suggested a meat-free monday, but watching Game Changer, coupled with both of us gaining a lot of weight recently has spurred him and I to try to make some big changes. I NEVER thought I'd hear him even considering a plant based diet, so I'm striking while the iron is hot!
    I'm a pretty decent cook, but I've never had to think about vegan nutrition before. Beans, pulses etc were just never really in the meal rotation up till now as there would usually be a meat or fish protein in every evening meal at least. I like quinoa, lentils etc but incorporating them into our meals is going to take a complete rethink on shopping, meal prep etc. I think that in order to maintain the interest in the lifestyle, its important that we don't get stuck in a rut . Otherwise I can see us slipping back into our old ways.
    We dont get takeaways much, but if we were to, can anyone recommend somewhere decent near dublin 15? Eating out is not going to be a problem as theres so many good vegan places now.
    I'm going to be following this thread with interest :)

Hi. D15 area

Milanos have several vegan pizzas but their delivery is crap as they use deliveroo so you might struggle to get it delivered

Base Wood Fired Pizza. You need to swap the dairy cheese for the vegan cheese

Camile Thai. Never eaten here myself but see online that people praising their vegan spice bag.

Keep an eye out for Burger King (launching 2 vegan burgers) and Mizzoni (full vegan pizza range) which should be soon enough :).

[Jackfruit]. Yes, I'm told it's gorgeous fresh, addictive. In tins it's the young jackfruit before it sweetens up. It seems to soak up flavours, having little itself, and this in combination with its texture make it a winner for me.

Don't expect the same or remotely like it in tins. Treat it like another food entirely.

@davidjtaylor I bought a tin of the young green jackfruit. Any recipe ideas?

@davidjtaylor I bought a tin of the young green jackfruit. Any recipe ideas?

I'm a bit unimaginative with it - I use it mainly for convenience when I'm short on preparation time.

I break it up and throw it in with a jar of arrabbiatta (sp?) sauce and red lentils and let it soak (maybe add extra water), then cook till the lentils are done, shove it in wholewheat pasta. A total doddle and awesome.

For something a bit more ambitious, start here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FoodC

Have you tried baked sweet potatoes? Those are delicious and nutritious :)
    Also you can make some vegetable soups with healthy oil
    And any baked vegetables.
    Eat also some sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and linseed seeds. Ground them right before eating. You can add it to your oatmeal or veggie soup.
    It would be good to contact registered nutritionist. You can find them here there is a 30 minutes free telephone consultation after click 'GET STARTED' button.

FoodC wrote: »
    Have you tried baked sweet potatoes? Those are delicious and nutritious :)

Agree 100%.

I also absolutely adore roast veg. too - beetroot, turnip (yes! underrated), parsnip, carrot take longest, potatoes a bit less, sweet potato least time. You can part cook in a steamer if you like.

Get an oil spray or be very careful how much oil you drizzle on them, it's easy to do too much.

Sprinkle lightly with salt and add a herb. Rosemary is wonderful.

About 10-12 minutes from the end, throw in a few garlic cloves with their skins on. When done, they slip out of their skins and are stupendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Good man. Gamechangers has kickedstarted my return to plant based eating too lately, after a year or so in the betwixt and between wilderness!

You have to get yourself cooking meals and not buying meals. The simplest transition would be to look at your normal plate of food - meat, and two veg, and just take the meat out, add extra veg and fill the space with brown rice or (and?) beans. -That'll get you going at least. You can go tinned beans and lentil for a while, but eventually you'll want to migrate to cooking your own, which apart from anything else is way cheaper.

Learn to make a simple red lentil dahl - boil the lentils as per the instructions and then basically add any cooked vegetable, with some spices and if a like, a tin of coconut milk.

To cook the vegetable - and oven and a roasting tray and you pretty much can not go wrong - thrown your onions, peppers, courgettes, carrots, it matters not, onto the tray and 30-40 minutes later - delicious roast vegetable array to lash into the lentils, mix it up, eat some and freeze some. Job done.

Go onto the Gamechangers website and they have recipies and tips on that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 FoodC

Agree 100%.

I also absolutely adore roast veg. too - beetroot, turnip (yes! underrated), parsnip, carrot take longest, potatoes a bit less, sweet potato least time. You can part cook in a steamer if you like.

Get an oil spray or be very careful how much oil you drizzle on them, it's easy to do too much.

Sprinkle lightly with salt and add a herb. Rosemary is wonderful.

About 10-12 minutes from the end, throw in a few garlic cloves with their skins on. When done, they slip out of their skins and are stupendous.

I totally agree. :)
    Also what i would suggest it is sprouts especially mung sprouts. Those are rich in vitamins and minerals. And.. You can make really tasty salad :)

Advertisement