Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defamation

Options
  • 16-10-2019 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

Is it defamation to post that somebody looks dodgy on social media without actually saying that they are something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Seanachai wrote: »
    Is it defamation to post that somebody looks dodgy on social media without actually saying that they are something.

What suffering/damage/loss of reputation has the person described as “looking dodgy” suffered (apart from hurt feelings)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

splinter65 wrote: »
    What suffering/damage/loss of reputation has the person described as “looking dodgy” suffered (apart from hurt feelings)?

I was following a comments thread on Facebook where somebody said a politician 'looked like a paedo' and another poster told then to withdraw the allegation. I was wondering does it qualify as an allegation?

I was following a comments thread on Facebook where somebody said a politician 'looked like a paedo' and another poster told then to withdraw the allegation. I was wondering does it qualify as an allegation?

In order for something to be defamation the allegation needs to be untrue and the person claiming to be defamed needs to have suffered as a result of the allegation.
    So you need to look at the Facebook post “Joe Bloggs TD for Ballymagash looks like a paedo” and decide
    1. Is it true, does he look like a paedo?
    2. Has Joe Bloggs suffered loss of reputation by this allegation ?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

splinter65 wrote: »
    In order for something to be defamation the allegation needs to be untrue and the person claiming to be defamed needs to have suffered as a result of the allegation.
    So you need to look at the Facebook post “Joe Bloggs TD for Ballymagash looks like a paedo” and decide
    1. Is it true, does he look like a paedo?
    2. Has Joe Bloggs suffered loss of reputation by this allegation ?

This is entirely incorrect to the extent that it is almost the opposite of the law.

A defamatory statement does not have to be false. A true statement can be defamatory.

A defamation plaintiff does not have to show loss or reputational damage.

A defamatory statement is one that tends to injure a person's reputation in the eyes of reasonable members of society. That's all you need to establish to bring a defamation case.

This is entirely incorrect to the extent that it is almost the opposite of the law.

A defamatory statement does not have to be false. A true statement can be defamatory.

A defamatory statement is one that tends to injure a person's reputation in the eyes of reasonable members of society. That's all you need to establish to bring a defamation case.

I'm thinking of the amount of times I've heard comedians like Frankie Boyle make graphic references to the appearance of public figures. Is there generally a distinction made between stating that the person looks like 'x' as opposed to actually being 'x'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

While I can be defamatory can it lead to censure in the eyes of the law? This says

An actionable defamatory statement has three ingredients:

- it must be published,
    - it must refer to the complainant and
    - it must be false.

https://www.lawyer.ie/defamation/

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Fanny **** wrote: »
    While I can be defamatory can it lead to censure in the eyes of the law? This says

An actionable defamatory statement has three ingredients:

- it must be published,
    - it must refer to the complainant and
    - it must be false.

https://www.lawyer.ie/defamation/

That website is incorrect on that. It isn't all too surprising because a lot of people assume falsehood is an element. But it isn't.

Its It's simply not the case that a defamatory statement has to be false. True defamatory statements are actionable and you would have to say in many cases successful.

As a defamation plaintiff, once you establish that the statement was published by the defendant, is about you, and tends to injure your reputation, that's enough.

It's open to the defendant to raise truth as a defence and if successful, it is a full defence. The difficulty for defendants is proving the truth of what they published about the plaintiff to an acceptable standard. It's very often easier said than done so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

That website is incorrect on that. It isn't all too surprising because a lot of people assume falsehood is an element. But it isn't.

Its It's simply not the case that a defamatory statement has to be false. True defamatory statements are actionable and you would have to say in many cases successful.

As a defamation plaintiff, once you establish that the statement was published by the defendant, is about you, and tends to injure your reputation, that's enough.

It's open to the defendant to raise truth as a defence and if successful, it is a full defence. The difficulty for defendants is proving the truth of what they published about the plaintiff to an acceptable standard. It's very often easier said than done so to speak.

That’s a fairly big shifting of goalposts. If proving something is true is a defense then truth is a defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

To be honest the fool that wrote such a terrible post shouldn't be allowed near a device....

Why would one even use this word paedo unless 100% sure that person is ...

This is extremely dangerous throwing out such terms.

Honestly what id like to know is what one actually looks like....

If the TD sees or has proof of that post then I can't see why not.

To be honest the fool that wrote such a terrible post shouldn't be allowed near a device....

Why would one even use this word paedo unless 100% sure that person is ...

This is extremely dangerous throwing out such terms.

Honestly what id like to know is what one actually looks like....

If the TD sees or has proof of that post then I can't see why not.

You'd think comedians would be brought to court a lot more then for the graphic remarks they make about public figures, or is there artistic licence there? Saying somebody looks like a paedo is something I'd hear now and then in conversation, I suppose it's another way of saying creepy. The politician in question does look and sound creepy incidentally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Was the comment based on resemblance to a known offender. As above - what does a "paedo" look like ?

"JBloggs TD looks like A.N other who was charged with such a crime"

Does it still make it to be a defamatory comment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

The use of social media has led to increased cases defamation being brought to the attention of the courts. Some people just don't realize that something as simple as lashing out at an ex can land you in deep trouble. every like and comment friends add just bury you deeper.

However, unless you or the person who defamed you is well off, you're unlikely to get someone in the legal industry who will be willing to march a case into court for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Mod
    Pls play the ball not the man

Know it all Splinter65 gets owned yet again.:o

Mod
    Pls play the ball not the man

Know it all Splinter65 gets owned yet again.:o

Sorry I only deal with trolls as Gaelige. How’s that working out for you Teashock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Elite Woad Raider

No it's not because it's an opinion. It's only defamation if it's said with MALICE.

No it's not because it's an opinion. It's only defamation if it's said with MALICE.

This is also untrue. No requirement for malice for defamation simpliciter. Opinions can be defamatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

To add to what hullaballoo said, the only time malice comes into question in relation to defamation is to defeat the defence of qualified privilege.

Also to note that malice is (somewhat obviously) an element of malicious falsehood, a type of wrong that both is and is not defamation.

It's a kind of defamation but falls outside the definition of defamation in Irish law but is provided for by the defamation act that brings it outside the definition of defamation. Fun times. This kind of action also requires that the statement is proven to be untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Could somebody give me an example of a defamatory true statement?

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Could somebody give me an example of a defamatory true statement?

Any statement (weather true or not) which tends to injure a person’s reputation in the eyes of reasonable members of society is by definition a defamatory statement.

• Advertisement

GM228 wrote: »
    Any statement (weather true or not) which tends to injure a person’s reputation in the eyes of reasonable members of society is by definition a defamatory statement.

Are you sure about that? I see a few countries allow such weirdness but that’s not the generally accepted understanding of the word.
    Defamation (sometimes known as calumny, vilification, or traducement) is the oral or written communication of a false statement about another that unjustly harms their reputation, and usually constitutes a tort or a crime.[1] In several countries, including South Korea[2] and Sweden,[3] communicating a true statement can also be considered defamation.

Under common law, to constitute defamation, a claim must generally be false and must have been made to someone other than the person defamed.[4] Some common law jurisdictions also distinguish between spoken defamation, called slander, and defamation in other media such as printed words or images, called libel.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation

Are you sure about that? I see a few countries allow such weirdness but that’s not the generally accepted understanding of the word.

100% sure, but rather than quoting Wikipedia which is based on the US legal understanding of the word, I'd refer you to what is probably considered the principle dictionary here, the OED - which will give an idea of the generally accepted understanding here:-
    OED wrote:
    defame

verb

damage the good reputation of (someone); slander or libel

In contrast the definition in the principle dictionary in the US Merriam Webster specifically mentions false:-
    the act of communicating false statements about a person that injure the reputation of that person : the act of defaming another : CALUMNY

There's a reason for the difference, so back to your Wikipedia quote, note the citation for this is from Business Law Today: The Essentials. United States: South-Western Cengage Learning, this is because it is long held in the US that the statement must be false for an action of defamation, an example of this is the US Supreme Court Time Inc vs Hill [1967] 385 US 384 case which is considered a principle authority on the matter in the US and gives some historical insight into the false requirements and defences, to note however is that some states have varying rules on what constitutes defamation.

In Ireland "defamatory statement" and "defamatory" is legally defined as per S2 of the Defamation Act 2009:-
    “ defamatory statement” means a statement that tends to injure a person’s reputation in the eyes of reasonable members of society, and “defamatory” shall be construed accordingly

As you can see it is not qualified by the statement being false, that is the definition that counts here in law, any other common understanding of the word is irrelevant.

The tort of defamation in Irish law is simply the publication of a defamatory statement as per S6 of the Act:-
    The tort of defamation consists of the publication, by any means, of a defamatory statement concerning a person to one or more than one person (other than the first-mentioned person), and “ defamation ” shall be construed accordingly.

The common misunderstanding here that a statement must be false stems from the fact that in an action for defamation there is a presumption of falsity, however it is a presumption which can be rebutted by the defence of truth where the defendant must show the statement was true, when raised it is not for the plaintiff to prove the statement was false, rather it is for the defendant to prove it was true in all material respects.

So if the defence isn't raised or isn't successfully established a true statement can lead to a successful defamation action.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Once again GM228 thanks for clarifying this, especially for your dawn patrol at 5 a.m.

Thanks for the clarification. Can you give us an example of a legal case where a person who made an allegation known to be true at the time was successfully sued? It would appear that defamation in the British sense would have to be further qualified as true or false and that, effectively, a category exists of ‘allowable’ defamation.

You should get onto Wiki about this. They don’t make this distinction explicit in their discussion of Ireland and even the England one could be clearer. I don’t seem to able to access the OED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

In Ireland "defamatory statement" and "defamatory" is legally defined as per S2 of the Defamation Act 2009:-

As you can see it is not qualified by the statement being false, that is the definition that counts here in law, any other common understanding of the word is irrelevant.

The tort of defamation in Irish law is simply the publication of a defamatory statement as per S6 of the Act:-

The common misunderstanding here that a statement must be false stems from the fact that in an action for defamation there is a presumption of falsity, however it is a presumption which can be rebutted by the defence of truth where the defendant must show the statement was true, when raised it is not for the plaintiff to prove the statement was false, rather it is for the defendant to prove it was true in all material respects.

So if the defence isn't raised or isn't successfully established a true statement can lead to a successful defamation action.

Let me see if I have this right: a true statement could be found to be defamatory if and only if the defendant did not raise a defence of truth or did not in the eyes of the court successfully prove the truth of the statement in all material aspects?

So, in effect, if not in legal definition, the likelihood is that a defamatory statement is one which is false?

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Let me see if I have this right: a true statement could be found to be defamatory if and only if the defendant did not raise a defence of truth or did not in the eyes of the court successfully prove the truth of the statement in all material aspects?

So, in effect, if not in legal definition, the likelihood is that a defamatory statement is one which is false?

No, as already shown a defamatory statement is one “that tends to injure a person’s reputation in the eyes of reasonable members of society”, it is not qualified by being false, it is important to note there is a difference between a defamatory statement and an action in tort for defamation, there is a defence of truth to the latter.

You could for example take an action for so called simple conspiracy for a truthful but defamatory statement.

Thanks for the clarification. Can you give us an example of a legal case where a person who made an allegation known to be true at the time was successfully sued?

Yes, the original authority for such here is the Irish People's Assurance Society vs City of Dublin Assurance Company Limited [1929] IR 25 Supreme Court case (an old libel case) which held that true statements are actionable for the tort where for example a true statement gives an untrue impression, that position has not changed:-
    The figures and words may be correctly printed, but in my opinion if they are so arranged or excerpted as to convey an untrue impression of the financial condition of the company, and it is for a jury to decide whether they do so or not, the company is entitled to recover damages for the injury to its credit. It would be possible by judicial extraction to make almost any document convey the contrary of its real purport, and I hold that in such a case a jury is entitled to decide whether the statement of the extracts is true or not, and that mere accuracy of extraction is not per se conclusive of the truth of the statement made by the collected extracts

There is also the somewhat related ECtHR Guardian News & Media Ltd: re Ahmed vs HM Treasury (2010) All ER D 178 case which shows there can be an action for a defamatory statement when the statements are true which is grounded on an action of confidentiality because for example the right to your reputation is protected by Article 8 of the ECHR, whilst Irish courts are not bound by ECtHR case law, it must nevertheless be judicially noted.

It would appear that defamation in the British sense would have to be further qualified as true or false and that, effectively, a category exists of ‘allowable’ defamation.

You should get onto Wiki about this. They don’t make this distinction explicit in their discussion of Ireland and even the England one could be clearer. I don’t seem to able to access the OED.

Actually no, the law is similar in the UK to here (there is no true/false qualification), however there is an exception, whilst the threshold here is that the statement merely tends to injure, in the UK the statement must be likely to cause serious harm before it can be defamatory.

With regards to true statements the Monson vs Tussauds Ltd [1894] 1 QB 671 Queens Bench case held a similar position as the 1929 case here:-
    It is not the mere words of a written statement being true, or the accuracy of fact in a model or scene represented which will render it justifiable. The circumstances of time or place may raise such inferences as will render either libellous, but the words may be true and the model exact

More recently the Gulf Oil (Great Britain) Ltd vs Page & Ors [1987]CH 327 English Court of Appeal case held that true statements can be liable for action depending on the circumstances such as an action for conspiracy to injure joined with an action for defamation.

Again, like here could take an action for so called simple conspiracy, or even convicium adversus bonos mores in Scotts law for a truthful but defamatory statement.

There is no point getting onto Wikipedia, the content is edited by users of the page, not by themselves. Take anything on Wikipedia with a pinch of salt, especially when it comes to the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

No, as already shown a defamatory statement is one “that tends to injure a person’s reputation in the eyes of reasonable members of society”, it is not qualified by being false, it is important to note there is a difference between a defamatory statement and an action in tort for defamation, there is a defence of truth to the latter.

Yes, the original authority for such here is the Irish People's Assurance Society vs City of Dublin Assurance Company Limited [1929] IR 25 Supreme Court case (an old libel case) which held that true statements are actionable for the tort where for example a true statement gives an untrue impression, that position has not changed:-

Thank you for the fascinating reply which brings out the differences between lay and legal understandings.
    I get what a defamatory statement is.
    I am focusing on the action in tort for defamation.
    There there is the defence of truth if and only if it is made and it is established in all respects.
    A literally true statement may give an untrue impression which gives rise to the tort of defamation. So the defence of truth there would be inadequate because it was not established in all respects as the truth was contradicted by the untrue impression which gave rise to the tort.

I doubt that the word defamation is understood in this sense in Ireland in common non-legal speech by most people.

On the legal side, it is bizarre to me that a true statement could ever be regarded as defamation in the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

This is really interesting.

So let's say someone was a convicted rapist. I could say to a neighbour, "Joe Bloggs was convicted of rape" and it's defamatory although true, but Joe Bloggs couldn't take action on that basis.

However, if there had been rapes recently in the area and in that context I said to the neighbour, "Joe Bloggs was convicted of rape," that could be actionable because, although true, it could give the impression that Joe is responsible for the recent rapes (though I haven't specifically said that).

Is that it?

• Advertisement

fiachraX wrote: »
    This is really interesting.

So let's say someone was a convicted rapist. I could say to a neighbour, "Joe Bloggs was convicted of rape" and it's defamatory although true, but Joe Bloggs couldn't take action on that basis.

However, if there had been rapes recently in the area and in that context I said to the neighbour, "Joe Bloggs was convicted of rape," that could be actionable because, although true, it could give the impression that Joe is responsible for the recent rapes (though I haven't specifically said that).

Is that it?
    Yes, essentially.

Although it is noteworthy that in the context of defamation proceedings, it is very difficult to establish that any statement is defamatory if the prospective plaintiff is a convicted rapist. So, keeping in mind that the statement is potentially true but that the truth is next to impossible to establish in the example you have given, the plaintiff might not even get past the threshold to establish that it was a defamatory statement in the first place.

Advertisement