Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Access to auto CAD drawings

• 11-10-2019 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Hi

Is a client entitled to a copy of drawings in autoCAD having paid all bills in full.

What's is the usual practice and legal position?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi

Is a client entitled to a copy of drawings in autoCAD having paid all bills in full.

What's is the usual practice and legal position?

Thanks

If I’ve been paid in full then I’ll hand over the cad files if asked to do so.
    The client may be running with a different person to inspect and certify and if so I’ll usually send direct to them with a worded email stating they are for their purposes only to use, amend and stand over.

In no way, shape or form will my title block remain or name.
    Sometimes I’ll remove the title blocks and just send the raw model space cad work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

Thanks for your reply

I have used both a structural and electrical engineer for a commercial building kit out. They have done drawings for tender stage and been paid up to tender stage

The quotes that came back were too high and the builders made suggestions to save money. The builder requested autoCAD files to make some changes to lower the quote. Neither engineer would supply the autoCAD drawings.

I can understand they dont want the drawings to be altered and then have a liability but we are no longer working with the electrical engineer so they would have no liability and if they want to remove their name (this is the title block I think?) that's fine too. I am so frustated at the delay and the additional payments I'll have to make because I've paid twice for this already.

Is this normal practice, what am I entitled to as a client?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

There's no entitlement to source files like AutoCAD DWGs unless stipulated by contract. If you've received the drawings (PDFs, even paper) and paid for them, you've basically accepted that your suppliers' obligations have been fulfilled. There are the obvious liability issues you mentioned, which may persist even if their branding is removed from the drawing.

I'd get the builder to mark up a paper drawing and have the engineers assess it. You'll pay something for the process, but it'll be pittance compared to the cost should a major issue occur.

Advertisement