Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE considering future of Lyric FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭RoTelly

As an aside radio doesn't require a TV licence.

How costly was LW? How costly was DAB? How costly was Aertel?

How many people had a DAB radio? I think they preferred it when it was known as phantom. :)

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

what is replacing Sean Rocks on Sunday? final show today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

I bought one in 2008, but they day when it would work in Bray never arrived. Of course stations never took an interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭seanin4711

RTE have this unwritten law that you are there until you pop your clogs ,way way after retirement age

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's a real shame to see what's happened to Lyric FM over the years.

I liked it not only because it catered to the more discerning listener but also because it was the only real alternative to the rigidly formatted pop music stations and the endless repetition that they churn out.

Marty Whelan really was the last nail in the coffin but it's been on that path for the longest time as the likes of Donald Helm, Tim Thurston and Gerry Godley were replaced by a rabble of dull-as-dishwater newsreaders, sports commentators and continuity announcers.

Lyric was never going to be competitive in the ratings wars, that was always beyond it's remit, so why RTE chose to try and make it so is hard to fathom but they might as well go the whole hog now and rebrand it as it's a pale imitation of its former self.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ekkinak

I think Lyric is in great shape.

John Kelly's Mystery Train,

Blue of the Night

Vespertine

all great shows

hopefully Donal Dineen has his foot in the door now

and Marty's a great host, I like the way he flits around from decade and genre, that's what you want from a broadcaster

If people want formatted playlists or styles there are millions of options at their fingertips within seconds on streaming services

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Clap trap.

It's nearly the only worthwhile division in RTE.

The vast majority of the shows are excellent.

The more "discerning" listener creaming themselves because someone spun Kalinnikov and only you and the presenter know who they're.

That's not what Radio is about. As was mentioned above. You have John Kelly, Liz nolan, Niall Carroll for example. All excellent.

I get it, Marty is not for everyone. But it's one show and it suits the time of the slot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I've honestly never heard of Kalinnikov before so you're clearly quite discerning yourself and I commend you for it.

And I agree with you about John Kelly - he's the best thing on Irish radio by a country mile, for me at least.

But what's wrong with someone playing something obscure now and again? That can be, and certainly was in the case of Ronan Collins for instance, sometimes what radio is about.

It doesn't have to be that all the time but it's nice when a DJ or presenter takes a chance and over the years it's introduced me to a lot of wonderful music that I might not otherwise have heard.

I just think it's a shame that it is becoming less of a thing on Lyric as many of the special interest shows have been axed in favour of a more populist format.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sure, but as I mentioned previously. People are not turning on Marty or probably any other station at 7am for a critical listening session.

One could argue no really turns on the radio at anytime for a critical listening session.

It's mostly background noise while you're doing something else be it getting ready for work, commuting etc. So at this time a nice friendly personality is perfect. Someone mentioned Classic FM manage to do it without offending the sophisticated listener. But the vast majority of their broadcasters couldn't hold a light to Marty in terms of his personality and their breakfast show is no less cringe most of the time, while there's more cohesion to the playlist it's often not delivered very well.

There's nothing wrong with them playing something obscure now and again. It would be very rare I would come away from mystery train for example without been introduced to numerous artitsts/albums etc I've never heard. But you can't or at least it's very difficult to build a whole radio station around it. Carl Corcoran similar. One of the saddest days in lyric fm was when he left imo. But would I want him back on the breakfast show? Not really. As he doesn;t suit that time or that type of show imho.

Lyric does a lot right. Could it be better? of course. But the whole "it's a shame how shite it is" is a bit over the top.

Not directed at you, but there's a lot of hatred towards RTE and the old guard so the opinions are often not very objective.

Hamilton scores is a perfect example.

If you didn't know George Hamiliton and what he did before and just looked at the playlists the vast majority would have no issues with the show at all.

I'd say George has more musical knowledge than most of our boards "discerning" listener group

Marty suffers similarly and the bias is clear to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

Actually, George Hamilton is a very good example of where a well known talent married seamlessly to the style of the station.

He apparently comes from a place of knowledge and gave himself over to what was the "core" music of Lyric.

He didn't try and bend the world to his way, as Whelan seems to be doing on a daily basis. Hamilton sounds comfortable dealing with the many sub genres within "Classical" music. It never gets too heavy and he wears his knowledge lightly.

The other fella has no knowledge or, seemingly, much interest outside of a few set piece Puccini pieces. He is a poor spoofer to anyone with even a passing knowledge of these genres or the artists.

Most of the interviews with music people verge on the embarrassing, such is his lack of prep or interest.

If he can't knock a bit of craic out of them, it becomes a bit of struggle for everyone.

It would be a mercy to all concerned if he went over to RTE Gold and just did his "Grandad jokes" and played the Doobie Brothers, Spike Milligan and Peter Sellars pretending to be a South Asian doctor - just like it was 1974. His people could follow him over there and Lyric could attempt to repair the mornings.

Everyone wins!

And what, get a KUSC drone on in the morning so we can all have an air of superiority and exclusivity while eating our Happy Pear fancy porridge.

Happy in the knowledge that the dross of society are where they should be.

It's this sort of nonsense that generates the barriers to arts and culture Lyric's remit should be breaking down.

You can get your baton out at 10 am

Lyric Fm is described on its social media as Ireland's national music and arts radio station.

Why does Marty's slot have to follow the classical style any more than John Kelly's or Bernard Clarke's?

Kelly was shoehorned into Lyric after losing his Radio 1 gig. If it was down to him he wouldn't be sullenly plodding away in radio no-man's land.

To think - he was once a "top ten" talent in RTE!

That Clarke fella has lost the plot altogether. Every time I turn it on, it's Mississippi delta blues or Led Zepplin or sommat.

When you consider what a multi-genre gem Blue of the Night used to be in the days of Paul Herriott, the place is dying on it's arse.

As for Whelan, crappy WhatsApp voice messages, bad "jokes" and the sound of the 70's and 80's etc. is just not what Lyric was meant to be about. It's a gross dereliction of Public Service Broadcasting duty.

Along with Porridge promotions, free cars, free hair plugs, golden handshakes, Toy Show the Musical etc, Marty in the Morning is part of RTE's shame.

There's plenty of presenters on Lyric and probably within RTE already who could do the show in a fine accessible style. It happens at other times of the day playing actual Classical music. In fairness, there are no "drones" really on the station.

I'm not sure the current sub Terry Wogan embarrassment is breaking down many barriers to arts and culture with the golf club bore auld fellas who seem to dominate the discourse on there.

You're borderline trolling here.

Kelly is one of the few reasons to pay the license fee.

Go way outta that, will ya.

You don't like or agree with my view - that's grand. But the old "trolling" card is played. I'm surprised you haven't given me the old "Well if you don't like it, why are you listening?" line. That's normally next.

We'll have to agree to differ.

On balance, Lyric probably doesn't deserve to survive in it's current form, if things get financially drastic for RTE.

That's a view - call it trolling if you wish.

@limnam

Not directed at you, but there's a lot of hatred towards RTE and the old guard so the opinions are often not very objective.

If fairness with good reason. I think RTÉ might need to be a bit more objective when it comes to the services that they provide.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps the real reason that Marty Whelan is in the slot is because he is perfect RTE 1 material. Having the two of them on roughly the same timeslot helped RTE get listeners. Wonder if Marty still think that Vivaldi was called the "Red Priest" because he wore a red cloak like Superman? :) (Old Radio forum joke.)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

I despise RTE and think its output is pure trash, but Lyric FM is actually good. Astonishing they would be considering its future. I mean, surely jettisoning 2fm would be more practical? 2fm constantly tries to chase a fickle, ever-changing young audience, who in all likelyhood mostly listen to Spotify. You can see this by the shows and regular turnover of presenters on 2fm.

• Advertisement

We can agree to differ over Marty and the state of Lyric.

I will backtrack re Blue of the Night. I concur, it's not a patch on the Carl Corcoran era, and Eamonn Lenihan sitting in, he was great.

Post edited by ekkinak on

In fairness, I don't think Lyric is currently in the firing line. This is an old thread having a second wind.

Yes, I agree that it's hard to justify spending a single penny of license fee on 2FM. If it was at least holding it's own again the similar, regional youth music stations, there might some justification. But it's not. It's hopelessly compromised by poor, not popular presenters from the Noel Kelly stable of "talent".

After everything that has gone on in that place, it's not a good look for RTE.

That and an hour's sports talk each evening is as incongruous to me as Marty in the Morning on Lyric.

In fairness Moya Doherty defended the spending of the licence fee on 2FM so really you should have no problem. I think you should try to be more like Moya.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Blue of the Night is a bit of a mess alright. Clarke was good in previous roles but the seemingly endless desire to play 60s blues rock is not appropriate for the slot. He seems to have misinterpreted the show’s title

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

Heavy on the blues yes, but you can hear some mad stuff on it still...plus you get the feeling that he knows he's mostly talking to himself which can be pretty funny!!

When he was broadcasting from home for covid his mic was extremely hot and it came across horribly distorted. It remained like this for the best part of two years 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Why aren't the Lyric FM shows promoted on RTE, especially the shows (apart from Marty, Lorcan, John Kelly and George) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Marty Whelan has the best selection of music on the radio. Not a fan of the hour long interviews he has tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sekefhiijj

RTE are really gaslighting now with News that washed up actor Simon Delaney is to host an new "crossover" Sunday show playing classical mixed with jazz and early Rock&roll, So "cash strapped" RTE take off staffer Sean Rocks and bring in another contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Simon’s filled in a few times for Marty over the last year. Comes across really well. Good luck to him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement