Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Searching for John Fleming / Radiowaves

• 23-01-2019 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

On the advice of a friend, I’m posting here in the hope that you guys might be able to help me track down John Fleming, the guy that used to run Radiowaves.fm

20+ years ago I shared photos & footage from The Doghouse on PulseFM with him for his records and I’ve lost my copies of them.

The death of Alan McQuillan has prompted me to try and track them down as he is in them, and I’d love to see them again.

So I’m hoping that a) I can find John and b) he still has copies!!

I’d really appreciate your help!

Thanks.
    Clionadh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

Have you tried looking up radiowaves.fm on webarchive/wayback machine ? Because his mobile phone number used to be on there, obviously he could have changed his number since but it's worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ClionadhPegrum

Have you tried looking up radiowaves.fm on webarchive/wayback machine ? Because his mobile phone number used to be on there, obviously he could have changed his number since but it's worth a shot.

To be perfectly honest, I don’t even know what they are! How do I do that (clueless)
    But good idea!

To be perfectly honest, I don’t even know what they are! How do I do that (clueless)
    But good idea!

So, I managed to get his old number from a friend but it’s no longer in service.
    So if anyone knows him, I’d really appreciate if you could flag this thread to him.

Have you asked Ger Roe ? He has a profile here and they used to know each other link to Gers profile https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=4848

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

You can see the old mobile phone number on the web archive (at the end of the page). Try that one if not done already. Not really sure what happened to John, he used to put fantastic effort into that site.

https://web.archive.org/web/20051216024111/http://www.radiowaves.fm:80/index3.shtml

• Advertisement

JDxtra wrote: »
    You can see the old mobile phone number on the web archive (at the end of the page). Try that one if not done already. Not really sure what happened to John, he used to put fantastic effort into that site

Thank you. That number no longer works but I appreciate the link

Have you asked Ger Roe ? He has a profile here and they used to know each other link to Gers profile

Thanks so much. I’ll try Ger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Loved that site. End of an era when it closed down. Was a great news source for people like myself, interested in Radio but not in any circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Red Fred

As far as I remember Paul Shepherd from Christmas FM was friendly with him. You could try there.

Red Fred wrote: »
    As far as I remember Paul Shepherd from Christmas FM was friendly with him. You could try there.

Thanks so much

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    Loved that site. End of an era when it closed down. Was a great news source for people like myself, interested in Radio but not in any circles.

It was a brilliant site. I wonder why it did shut down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I seem to remember at the time he said it was taking over his life and much too time consuming for him to continue with it.

I seem to remember at the time he said it was taking over his life and much too time consuming for him to continue with it.
    I can only imagine, looking back at it now it does seem like a very tedious and manual web site to be maintaining. Maybe today there would be better solutions available to create the same type of content, but with less effort.

All the best with the quest - do let us know if he is found! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I'd say I wasn't the only one that offered to pay for hosting even as an archive but never heard anything back on it. Pitty for such an archive to be just removed, could have just been closed down and left open.

However not my website and not my call. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It was great once upon a time but the forum had gone to the dogs over time. Why? Well it's partially down to a lack of fresh news in the industry and partially because it ended up being over moderated to the point where one couldn't say anything remotely negative about most aspects of the trade without war breaking out in some way shape or form. Radio is a tight knit industry and there are a lot of paranoid souls out there who take most of what's said to heart.

Thankfully this forum is here and you can say your bit here and be harsh yet fair, provided you can back yourself up :)

It was great once upon a time but the forum had gone to the dogs over time. Why? Well it's partially down to a lack of fresh news in the industry and partially because it ended up being over moderated to the point where one couldn't say anything remotely negative about most aspects of the trade without war breaking out in some way shape or form. Radio is a tight knit industry and there are a lot of paranoid souls out there who take most of what's said to heart.

Thankfully this forum is here and you can say your bit here and be harsh yet fair, provided you can back yourself up :)

Yeah it's easy to see now on social media the way so many djs from different stations know each other socially. Back before social media your average Joe listener was ignorant of the fact that 2fm, Atlantic 252, Fm104 & Today Fm djs would be texting each other while on air.

I can see how that would happen, he clearly put a huge amount of work and effort into it. Which we all benefited from!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Lord Nelson

John's sister lives near me. I popped round yesterday, she is going to ask him to get in touch. I'll pm contact details when (if) inhear from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Babs,

Best bet is to contact Simon Maher. Most likely person to have it outside of Ger Roe.

Both post here on boards under their real names.

https://twitter.com/simon8radio

Failing that try Brian Green or John Walsh @ pirate.ie

John's sister lives near me. I popped round yesterday, she is going to ask him to get in touch. I'll pm contact details when (if) inhear from him.

Thanks SO much. I really appreciate that.

I’ve just found the photos. In a box in the attic.
    20 years later, at least 6 house moves and one change of country and I have them!!

I don’t have the footage for sure, so if John does get in touch, I’d still really appreciate his details in case he has that still.

• Advertisement

I learned today that the RadioWaves.fm site is back online.

Advertisement