Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive Active Heating etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

pm1977x wrote: »
    Is it not possible to control the current Hive plug via Alexa?

Not sure to be honest, just in the process of getting the heating side sorted at the minute. I don't see it mentioned on the Hive website or amazon although it is mentioned for the new model, price is the same for both so might be worth waiting for the new model for anybody looking to add sensors, bulbs, plugs etc.

Once I have the heating side sorted I will probably look at a few of the addons, would be handy to have everything run through the one hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I can definitely control my Hive bulb through Alexa, will have to find my plug and try it out again.

I see that you can purchase this in Argos now, surely the option to register an Irish address would be on the cards soon?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

THE ALM wrote: »
    I see that you can purchase this in Argos now, surely the option to register an Irish address would be on the cards soon?

I wouldn't take much notice of Argos, they have a habit of selling items here which aren't meant for the Irish market.

True, although I would imagine that Hive would get a few calls from disgruntled customers trying to get it registered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I have an old type thermostat upstairs and downstairs with just a dial on it. What's the best thing to do with these if I get hive.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

For anyone with Hive Active Home 2 with Multizone,
    How do you go from a single 3 Channel programmer (up,down and Hot water) to Two Hive Receivers to control same?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

arikv wrote: »
    For anyone with Hive Active Home 2 with Multizone,
    How do you go from a single 3 Channel programmer (up,down and Hot water) to Two Hive Receivers to control same?

I had a new boiler installed last week and the plumber installed a similar controller as in your pics temporarily, as I only had the 1 zone + hot water hive receiver. I have since bought the multi-zone pack and he will come out to install this next week. I`ll let you know how he gets on and will try take some pics when he is doing the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Just after buying an old house and going to replace all the heating in it. I want to put in hive that will control heating and hotwater, I plan on having two heating zones in the house I take it I need the basic kit and then the additional zone, as in these two?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011B3J6B8/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018E1SHQU/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Is buying it on amazon the best option - looking at this thread it seems that there are issues shipping it to Ireland - is that still the case? I had a look at the Argos one and the base unit alone is about €30 more expensive.

Keedowah wrote: »
    Just after buying an old house and going to replace all the heating in it. I want to put in hive that will control heating and hotwater, I plan on having two heating zones in the house I take it I need the basic kit and then the additional zone, as in these two?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011B3J6B8/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018E1SHQU/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Is buying it on amazon the best option - looking at this thread it seems that there are issues shipping it to Ireland - is that still the case? I had a look at the Argos one and the base unit alone is about €30 more expensive.

Should have no problem getting through amazon, got mine there although still waiting to get set up. Also ordered the hive plug, motion sensor and a bulb which all arrived this morning so a bit of playing around with those this evening.

The issue with getting through amazon and the like will be in registering it when setting it up as you will need a UK address, I have a brother living in London so not too much of a problem. I do plan on contacting them in the future and see about changing to my proper address. As these can be bought from amazon, argos etc I would imagine they would have to had a query or two from here about registering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Anto171

Graham wrote: »
    I'd guess the script only covers the single Hive product BG supply.

Have UK address for hive hub but the UK is picking up my Irish email address so will not let it go any further. Any suggestions please. Also may be picking up my Irish phone no.

Just waiting on a electrician getting back to me about wiring this up so thought I would make a start and get the hub connected and registered. Got app and registered OK, have brother in London so have an address to use. Hub lights just flashing amber and orange so going to have to call support. I am wondering for those who self installed and had to contact support, did you mention you are in Ireland? Initially seem to connect OK, then got message about firmware update and now just the flashing lights. Is there a way to do a factory reset on these?

Did you register your Irish email and phone details when registering? Any problems? Help much appreciated. Doing my head in.

Anto171 wrote: »
    Did you register your Irish email and phone details when registering? Any problems? Help much appreciated. Doing my head in.

Used my gmail address, don't know if they could pick that up as being Irish or not. For telephone number I used the full international code when entering it i.e. 0035386........ When I check my details on the app it has the number as +35386.... along with the UK address.

Still waiting on Plumber/Electrician although that is a different story. Did connect the motion sensor, bulb and smart switch to the hub and all working great.

Used my gmail address, don't know if they could pick that up as being Irish or not. For telephone number I used the full international code when entering it i.e. 0035386........ When I check my details on the app it has the number as +35386.... along with the UK address.

Still waiting on Plumber/Electrician although that is a different story. Did connect the motion sensor, bulb and smart switch to the hub and all working great.
    Thanks for that. Will give it a try. Is BG breaking TheTreaty of Rome? Surely, if I buy goods and services within the E.U I am entitled to be connected to the internet at home. Wonder what the European Advice Centre would have to say what Board Gais are up to? Their restricted practice needs investigation. British Gas did this a few years ago. Wonder what changed their practice. Thousands are being denied due to Board Gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Hi Does anyone know, someone who can install the hive to the boiler, I have asked an electrician he said that is a plumbers job and got vice versa from the plumber.

Hi Does anyone know, someone who can install the hive to the boiler, I have asked an electrician he said that is a plumbers job and got vice versa from the plumber.

In a similar situation. Have had plumber look at it with a view to reconfiguring our setup to use one pump and adding a couple of zone valves, currently have just two separate pumps for the heat and hot water. He rang an electrician while looking at it as he thought it might be doable without the plumbing work, electrician thought he could add a relay and split it that way. Now trying to get one or other to do the work is proving another challenge, I think trying to get small jobs done is always an issue !

Hi there,

I had a plumber install mine last week, I could PM you his details if you wish?
    He has installed a multizone setup (hot water and 2 zones), it`s working great so far:-) Although I had some issues when I had a Hive active bulb on at the same time (apparently this is a known bug), turning the bulb off solved the problem. My plumber had installed a new boiler and thermostat to my hot water cylinder so this familiarity with my setup probably helped with the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

I contacted Bord Gais last month asking if they supply and install Hive Multizone and got the following reply:

"Hi there ____,

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch I hope your having a great week so far.

Unfortunately we dont supply multizone in Ireland quite yet but its coming very soon!

If you would like to discuss a single zoned hive system with us you can do so right now on 1850 427 131 , or else keep your eyes on our website and social media to find out about our new products as soon as they are available.

Thanks again and have a great evening.

Best regards
    _____
    Hive Hub"

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭tandcapply

Hi there,

I had a plumber install mine last week, I could PM you his details if you wish?
    He has installed a multizone setup (hot water and 2 zones), it`s working great so far:-) Although I had some issues when I had a Hive active bulb on at the same time (apparently this is a known bug), turning the bulb off solved the problem. My plumber had installed a new boiler and thermostat to my hot water cylinder so this familiarity with my setup probably helped with the install.

Would you mind how much did that cost? Hive 2 zones + hot water and installation?
    Thanks

tandcapply wrote: »
    Would you mind how much did that cost? Hive 2 zones + hot water and installation?
    Thanks

I got the main hub heating with hot water control for €150 last year during the black friday sale on amazon, I then added the multizone thermostat/controller for a further €120. My plumber was onsite installing my bathrooms and kindly agreed to install Hive while he was there, so I cannot say how much it would cost to install. He had previously installed a tado for another customer and was very interested in the hive, he spent a long time testing it afterwards and checking out all the functionality etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Had a guy look at it tonight, without any luck. The boiler has an manual clock, which we can't seem to override. Getting stuck. The receiver leaves the heating on constantly, we can't get it too switch off. Any ideas please?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

So I was on to Bord Gais today about Hive.
    I have 2 heating zones and got water controlled by one unit on the wall with separate timers for each.

According to them that's a 3 zone setup.

They are starting multizone this coining Monday 13th.
    But the cost for 3 Zones was 576 iirc, not including a boiler service!

So they are doing it, but charging plenty...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Wow, that's pretty steep!

pm1977x wrote: »
    Wow, that's pretty steep!

Yep, too steep IMO.
    I won't be getting it from them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

frash wrote: »

look pretty decent, discounts in first year of two years contract.
    Need to switch both gas and electricity which is too late for me as just signed 12 months gas elsewhere.

Arik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Completely updated Hive website customised for Ireland. Includes euro prices for the thermostat, lights, sensors etc.

Now allows 1, 2 and 3 zone setups. €299 for one zone and additional €119 for each extra zone. Price includes installation.

https://www.hivehome.com/ie

tallpaul wrote: »
    Completely updated Hive website customised for Ireland. Includes euro prices for the thermostat, lights, sensors etc.

Now allows 1, 2 and 3 zone setups. €299 for one zone and additional €119 for each extra zone. Price includes installation.

https://www.hivehome.com/ie

Thanks, Any idea if they offer deals for switchers of Electricity only?
    418 a bit steep for me for my planned usage of it.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    So I was on to Bord Gais today about Hive.
    I have 2 heating zones and got water controlled by one unit on the wall with separate timers for each.

According to them that's a 3 zone setup.

They are starting multizone this coining Monday 13th.
    But the cost for 3 Zones was 576 iirc, not including a boiler service!

So they are doing it, but charging plenty...

Anyone have any idea if mine is a 2 or 3 zone setup, I'm thinking 2 as I have just 2 heating zones...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

If you have hot water that is heated from the boiler that is considered a zone.... I'm pretty sure!

Advertisement