Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on this build please

Options
  • 20-11-2019 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭

Honest opinions please. I'm not a huge gamer, but I wanted something capable of handling pretty much any game that's out there. Some of the games I have and want are quite power hungry. I contacted a company that I've seen recommended here several times and they've put this setup together for me. It's a little over budget at €1700

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz
    Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI AMD Motherboard
    Memory: Adata XPG Spectrix D60G 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz RAM
    Storage: 1TB Adata XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe SSD
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Windforce 8GB
    Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500
    Power Supply: Corsair RM650 650W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
    Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB 240mm CPU Liquid Cooler

Is this OTT? Would I be better off going for a lower video card (I'd save €150 if I switched to the MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER Ventus GP 8GB), maybe 500GB SSD instead of the 1TB? At the same time, I see it as an investment in a way so I don't want to scrimp either, you know? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

jaxxx wrote: »
    Honest opinions please. I'm not a huge gamer, but I wanted something capable of handling pretty much any game that's out there. Some of the games I have and want are quite power hungry. I contacted a company that I've seen recommended here several times and they've put this setup together for me. It's a little over budget at €1700

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz
    Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI AMD Motherboard
    Memory: Adata XPG Spectrix D60G 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz RAM
    Storage: 1TB Adata XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe SSD
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Windforce 8GB
    Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500
    Power Supply: Corsair RM650 650W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
    Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB 240mm CPU Liquid Cooler

Is this OTT? Would I be better off going for a lower video card (I'd save €150 if I switched to the MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER Ventus GP 8GB), maybe 500GB SSD instead of the 1TB? At the same time, I see it as an investment in a way so I don't want to scrimp either, you know? Thanks.

What is your budget? Is it 1700 or do you mean the cost of those parts in total is 1700?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

What is your budget? Is it 1700 or do you mean the cost of those parts in total is 1700?

Budget max €1500 (though I'm willing to go that bit more). The €1700 is parts and labour from the company (inclusive of a copy of Windows btw)

Budget max €1500 (though I'm willing to go that bit more). The €1700 is parts and labour from the company (inclusive of a copy of Windows btw)

I take it your into RGB also ? RGB AIO, Ram, Case and Graphics Card?

I take it your into RGB also ? RGB AIO, Ram, Case and Graphics Card?

They're the ones that came with the build I was sent. I chose the case, nothing else (simply because I really like the look of it). RGB on the other parts I'm not concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

They're definitely tacking on a big build fee.
    Also you're going overkill on CPU cooler & motherboard.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£175.45 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler (£29.86 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£83.14 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£69.90 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£99.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC 3X Video Card (£488.50 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case (£134.44 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£99.98 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £1181.25
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-20 17:47 GMT+0000

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler (£29.86 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£69.90 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£99.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC 3X Video Card (£488.50 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case (£134.44 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£99.98 @ CCL Computers)

You bet me to it :D

As for Windows 10, you can use it unactivated. It just shows a watermark in the bottom right corner of the desktop.

PCPartPicker Part List

Thanks guys. I've taken what you've said into account and have brought it down to just over £1200. The only difference is they don't have that motherboard available.The MSI they have is the MSI X470 GAMING PRO AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard. Is that still overkill and suitable?

Case fans, are they needed or just a waste?

Thanks guys. I've taken what you've said into account and have brought it down to just over £1200. The only difference is they don't have that motherboard available.The MSI they have is the MSI X470 GAMING PRO AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard. Is that still overkill and suitable?

Case fans, are they needed or just a waste?

Where are you ordering from? You could just get it off amazon, in fact thats my preferred option as returns are super easy.

For the case fans the ones supplied will do the job, if they are too loud you could look into quieter ones down the line. But the included ones should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What monitor are you planning on using this with?

The 2070s is a great card but I'd be hard pressed to spend the extra on it over a good 5700 with dual bios so it can be flashed to a 5700xt.

That pushes it very close to the 2070s for a lot less but doing this is not for everyone though. If you don't want to faff about doing this get the 2070.

If your case is £135 I'd be expecting it to come with every fan you could possibly need/want or it's overpriced.

You could save enough between the case, gpu and psu to get a decent 27" 1440p 144hz monitor if you don't have 1 already or some nice peripherals.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£174.78 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler (£29.76 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£64.13 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£65.58 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 8 GB RED DRAGON Video Card (£339.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: GameMax Kamikaze PRO MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£54.98 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£63.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £893.17
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-20 19:46 GMT+0000

@BloodBath
    The CM H500P Mesh is probably the best air-cooling case you can get due to its dual 200mm front fans.
    Also it looks pretty rad, if OP likes it I won't steer them away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Fair enough, it does look nice. Just throwing another option out there in case he wanted to save a few beans.

If op has the budget don't scrimp at all. You get what you pay for I guess.

A high quality case will last you several builds.

I've had 2 more builds offered to me.

This one is almost identical in price to the initial one above:

Case: COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX MB530P RGB GAMING CASE
    Processor: (CPU)AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
    Motherboard: ASUS® PRIME B450-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s)
    Memory:
    (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card: 8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 5700 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 121st Storage Drive
    Storage: 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE1st M.2 SSD Drive 512GB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 1500MB/sR | 1000MB/sW)
    Power Supply: CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUI

This one is €1500:

Cases: CiT Raider Glass Front and Side Gaming Case
    CPU: NEW Ryzen 5 3600 Gen 3 6 Core AM4 €+130
    Motherboards: ASRock B450 Pro4 - DDR4 ATX
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400MHz DDR4
    Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive 3.5 SATA III + 500GB SSD
    Graphics Card: Geforce RTX 2070 8GB
    Power Supply: 700W Aerocool Integrator 80+ Certified

Seeing as though I know nothing about hardware, I just want to make sure I get exactly what I want while not getting completely ripped off in the process. I know everyone says buy the parts separately and build it yourself as there are tons of how-to vids on youtube, but I'd rather pay that little bit extra to make sure that it's build by someone who knows exactly what they're doing.

1st build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DZxBcq
    ~€1250 self-build.

2nd build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Zqs3Zf
    ~€1000 self-build.

Not only are they fleecing you to the tune of €400 (~€100 Windows 10 license) for a system build, the parts are horribly low-end - 2nd build is basically a fire hazard!
    Stop talking to this company.

Here, better pre-built PCs from CCL:

NebulaX
    Reaper
    Warlock
    Shadow Hawk

Cheers Kiki. The 2 builds above weren't from the same place as the original.

Is there much difference between the Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB and the GeForce RTX 2070 8GB? I'm quite tempted by the Warlock.

Cheers Kiki. The 2 builds above weren't from the same place as the original.

Is there much difference between the Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB and the GeForce RTX 2070 8GB? I'm quite tempted by the Warlock.

Not enough to justify the price difference.

Not enough to justify the price difference.

Yeah I was just looking up some comparison sites for them. Not much difference in 1440p between the 2 so I think it's definitely a better option for me. I think my eyes are set on the Warlock now, I'm just not gone on that case, just think it's a bit dull looking.. If I changed the case, would it still be compatible with everything else?

Took a second look, they can build you a machine (CCL Paladin) in a CoolerMaster H500 for €1620 (€1504 minus Windows)

Took a second look, they can build you a machine (CCL Paladin) in a CoolerMaster H500 for €1620 (€1504 minus Windows)

Performance wise is there much difference between that and the Warlock?

Also, would I be mad switching the 500GB SSD/1TB HDD for 1TB SSD? 1TB is plenty for me.

Same performance as the Warlock, just the case & PSU are better/more expensive.

Yeah 1Tb SSD can do ye if that's what you want, though I actually configured with 512Gb SSD / 2Tb HDD.

• Advertisement

Same performance as the Warlock, just the case & PSU are better/more expensive.

Yeah 1Tb SSD can do ye if that's what you want, though I actually configured with 512Gb SSD / 2Tb HDD.

The 1TB SSD is only a small bit more than the 500GB + 1TB HDD so I think that's my best option.

I feel kinda stupid for asking this, but how the heck are computers connected to monitors for 1440p? I'm looking up monitors at the moment, and notice some 1440p ones don't have VGA. Are they connected using HDMI now? Shows you how much I know about hardware. Should I steer clear of ones with built in speakers or are they just as good as speakers? For the builds you've suggested, what sort of response time should I be looking at for the monitor? 5 or should lower? My current monitor is 23'', I'm looking at buying a 27''.

The 1TB SSD is only a small bit more than the 500GB + 1TB HDD so I think that's my best option.

I feel kinda stupid for asking this, but how the heck are computers connected to monitors for 1440p? I'm looking up monitors at the moment, and notice some 1440p ones don't have VGA. Are they connected using HDMI now? Shows you how much I know about hardware. Should I steer clear of ones with built in speakers or are they just as good as speakers? For the builds you've suggested, what sort of response time should I be looking at for the monitor? 5 or should lower? My current monitor is 23'', I'm looking at buying a 27''.

1TB SSD would be the better option imo.

For 1440p the monitor will need to connect either through HDMI or Displayport (or DVI-I/DVI-D Dual Link). Versions vary depending on the refresh rate you are looking for.

I'd ideally go for a 75Hz - 120Hz monitor with 1 - 5ms response time.

Built in speakers are generally horrible, I always prefer a separate speaker setup with a subwoofer.

I currently have a 27" monitor and wouldn't go higher or lower. Love it.

1TB SSD would be the better option imo.

For 1440p the monitor will need to connect either through HDMI or Displayport (or DVI-I/DVI-D Dual Link). Versions vary depending on the refresh rate you are looking for.

I'd ideally go for a 75Hz - 120Hz monitor with 1 - 5ms response time.

Built in speakers are generally horrible, I always prefer a separate speaker setup with a subwoofer.

I currently have a 27" monitor and wouldn't go higher or lower. Love it.

Yeah I figured that about the speakers. Another stupid question, but I assume that all modern computers come with HDMI ports? Just been checking out some 1440p monitors on Overclockers, CCL and PC Part Picker. F*cking hell they're expensive. I want a good one, but not one for 500 quid!

Just found this one, reasonable price (~210e). VIOTEK GN27D 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor 5ms. Good reviews as well.

Yeah I figured that about the speakers. Another stupid question, but I assume that all modern computers come with HDMI ports? Just been checking out some 1440p monitors on Overclockers, CCL and PC Part Picker. F*cking hell they're expensive. I want a good one, but not one for 500 quid!

Just found this one, reasonable price (~210e). VIOTEK GN27D 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor 5ms. Good reviews as well.

Depends on the motherboard if your on about integrated graphics. If it has a graphics card I'd be worried if it didnt have HDMI.

This is the one I have:

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9400687/Trail/searchtext%3ESAMSUNG+MONITOR.htm

No complaints at all, fantastic monitor. Doesn't have freesync but I've noticed no tearing when gaming.

Depends on the motherboard if your on about integrated graphics. If it has a graphics card I'd be worried if it didnt have HDMI.

This is the one I have:

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9400687/Trail/searchtext%3ESAMSUNG+MONITOR.htm

No complaints at all, fantastic monitor. Doesn't have freesync but I've noticed no tearing when gaming.

Nice. I'll keep that in mind.

DisplayPort and HDMI, is one better than the other for PCs or are they much of a muchness for 1440p?

^^ Just noticing on the Paladin build that KOKiki supplied, it says there's no DisplayPort whereas the Warlock does have a DisplayPort.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

DisplayPort and HDMI, is one better than the other for PCs or are they much of a muchness for 1440p?
    With the right monitors you can connect more than one to a single displayport. I think that's the only practical difference and a rarely used one. Depending on the exact era of the equipment displayport can support higher resolutions/refresh rates then hdmi but in this case they are the same (7680x4320@60).
    ^^ Just noticing on the Paladin build that KOKiki supplied, it says there's no DisplayPort whereas the Warlock does have a DisplayPort.
    That's on the motherboard and you won't be using it's ports. The default graphics card in there (gigabyte 5700xt) has 1 hdmi and 3 displayports.

Advertisement