Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

D'Arcy doesn't shop for his clothes. He's told what to wear.
    I see he had a to bring a +1 to the LateLate tribute show.

A tight leash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,992 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone else think Ray sounds like Fr Dougal?

Quality of his content sort of similar too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

What age is this bozo ?

Will he or won't he?

(mention Jocky Wilson).

Ray sounds like he knows a lot more than hes letting on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Interview is going well :D

Interview is going well :D

Had to turn him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Another "Sure you're on the radio; will you come on the telly too" moment for tomorrow night > Also joining Ray are two Dublin teenagers who met over a piano in Connolly Station - Darragh Smith and Stephanie Starpong will be in studio for a live performance of the hit song that brought them to the country's attention this week.

Once is enough surely? Their radio appearance was also live-streamed but of course D 4bs wants to ensure streaming & traditional TV crossover so "Did you hear?" becomes "Did you see?" as well.

poor child had no chance with a mother with like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

poor child had no chance with a mother with like this

You’ve got to wonder. Steve May be reverting to Sadhbh when he/she hits some age. Stadbh’s a nice name.

• Advertisement

Ray comes back from a break, asks if another break's due, let's Popey waffle on (he could probably've skipped him) and so now's going be late for Nuacht......

Was listening to the interview with mother who has a “gender neutral” house. I had to laugh when she started off slipping into stereotypes when she said one child liked pink, therefore they were obviously a girl. She’s obviously very naturally given to stereotyping herself. In other times it was “pink for boys, blue for girls”. I could say that I was actually brought up in a “gender neutral” home but by default rather than deliberate action by my parents.

Born a biological girl, naturally inclined towards mechanical things, cars, airplanes probably because both parents were mechanically minded; loved pink, probably because most ladies’ toilets were decorated pink back in 60s so became fascinated by the colour; liked to be dressed boyishly, probably because I felt it felt more secure being a bit more modestly covered; loved male company, probably because I was surrounded by boys and good male role models; grew up a typical female boy-admiring teenager. I am fairly certain if I were a child these days I would at some stage get the idea to identify as male, especially if doing so got me more of the requisite attention and I heard about some other people doing it. I wouldn’t have wanted to miss out on that, having entertained the idea of being a different nationality, religion etc, anything to be”different”. These times parents make a huge deal out of everything a child comes up with, reinforcing temporary role play rather than just not making a big deal out of everything and airing it all on public radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Was listening to the interview with mother who has a “gender neutral” house. I had to laugh when she started off slipping into stereotypes when she said one child liked pink, therefore they were obviously a girl. She’s obviously very naturally given to stereotyping herself.

Those two stories today, the one about the "chance" meeting of the two people performing a song who went viral, and the LGBT story, seemed very contrived to me. It seemed more about RTE getting their message to the audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

This is totally shocking - the dreariness of his show, his voice, his meanderings.
    "We get a lot of weather in Ireland"

Christ almighty.
    Why? how?
    Who's responsible?

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    This is totally shocking - the dreariness of his show, his voice, his meanderings.

Christ almighty.
    Why? how?
    Who's responsible?

Probably found out today how much his wages will be cut by! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Probably found out today how much his wages will be cut by! :D

And the answer is…. ……………… drumroll.......

Not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭bureau2009

But he's getting paid half a million for this!

Interesting to hear Terry Prone commenting on RTE's financial situation and presenters' pay in an interview with Pat Kenny.........

"there's nobody queuing up to poach RTE presenters."

Christ almighty.
    Why? how?
    Who's responsible?

Missed(purposely) the whole show today. Hes an absolutely shyte presenter. He has the charisma of a dead badger. I dont blame the person who hired him,I blame the person who wont fire him,although its probably the same person.
    I've heard him twice in the past few days once he was waffling about being in the back of a taxi with his missus ( cant think of her name ) he never mentioned it ;). Anyway he got uppity with the taximan because he didnt pay his tv licence.

The 2nd time was he e was on Tommy Tiernan show and was the same about people who don't pay their license.
    Is it any wonder ppl wont/dont pay when hes the recipient of a large chunk of it..

Christ almighty.
    Why? how?
    Who's responsible?

Gives out about something topical on the left.

“*sighhhhhhhhhhhh*.......I dunno”

• Advertisement

Had to laugh the other day when he was doing his usual lecture at the start of the show, this time about climate change -

says Ray "We need to question our sustainability?"

Says I - "I dont have five women queuing up to take over half my TV show, I think you should question your own sustainability?"

The 2nd time was he e was on Tommy Tiernan show and was the same about people who don't pay their license.
    Is it any wonder ppl wont/dont pay when hes the recipient of a large chunk of it..

It takes 3,125 people to pay their licence just to cover his salary.

He dragged the out of that woman who gave him an apple tart before the show Saturday night; more proof of the Ray D'Arcy crossover; she'll probably get a spot on his TV Show before he signs off as a result of todays on air appearance.

This fookin idiot doesn't even know what floor hes on ;)

People got off the train and went to various different places...shocker !

Lord, this is scarcely awe inspiring stuff about the solar system. "How to dumb something down" 101

• Advertisement

Right, that segment's over. Frances ? was well on top of her subject, and passionate about it; which is great, especially when you are engaging with and enthusing kids. She struggled with Ray, though, who couldn't stay on one topic for more than one banal question before hopping off on another tangent. Poor woman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

had the misfortune to hear a few seconds of that clown getting giddy at one of his observations "the moons a ball and were looking up at it from a ball". Dont think NASA be looking for Ray any time soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,582 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I heard a good bit of Ray today because I was on the move.
    In my honest opinion it was as good a show of it's type that you could expect to hear.
    Just taking it on the one day I found it interesting and engaging.

(All the usual disclaimers apply, I'm just an ordinary listener)

elperello wrote: »
    I heard a good bit of Ray today because I was on the move.
    In my honest opinion it was as good a show of it's type that you could expect to hear.
    Just taking it on the one day I found it interesting and engaging.

(All the usual disclaimers apply, I'm just an ordinary listener)

I heard a good bit too. The cat owner/hospital segment was possibly the most excruciating piece of listening I’ve had since the dentist drilled into a molar of mine. Hard to switch stations in a car when you are using your fist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,582 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I heard a good bit too. The cat owner/hospital segment was possibly the most excruciating piece of listening I’ve had since the dentist drilled into a molar of mine. Hard to switch stations in a car when you are using your fist.

We can all point to segments of shows that we don't much like but we can't really expect to be lucky 100% of the time.

Lyric is always my escape hatch.

ps. whatever about radio consider switching dentists :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I heard some of that as well. I was gone after the "BCE".. ie Best cat ever.

I'm wunderin

A sermon by Father D'arcy

More sanctimonious preaching from Raybo.

What a wanker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Great, a bit of depression to look forward to “on the telly” tomorrow night

500k a year for this folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

sligojoek wrote: »
    More sanctimonious preaching from Raybo.

What was it about today ?

Global warming, Politicians and drink driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Global warming, Politicians and drink driving.

Why am I not surprised that Healy Rae also managed to distract dopey D'Arcy from fobgate.

• Advertisement

Misery,misery,ffs! Switching over to RTE Gold,fcuk this shoite!

He's on a/nother day off again.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Anyone notice the An Post Book Awards Vicky Phelan I think won an award. Ray it seemed 'championed ' her.
    What's that all about?

He'll have her on 'blowing smoke' for 40 minutes today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I get the sense he is jumping on something little to do with him.

He just opened the show by thanking Kathryn (as in Thomas) for standing in for him yesterday.

It was Brenda Donohue.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    He just opened the show by thanking Kathryn (as in Thomas) for standing in for him yesterday.

It was Brenda Donohue.................

In fairness they both SHOUT the same!

Ray doing his best to try to spoil Christmas in advance, what a complete killjoy the man is.

Instead of having an alcohol free Christmas, why don't you do what I did last Christmas, have yourself a D'Arcy-free Christmas - don't listen to him on the radio and don't listen to him on the TV. And drink as much as you want because the last time I looked it was a free country, not run by RTE.

He'll have her on 'blowing smoke' for 40 minutes today.

Bingo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭amlinopta

A quick bit of smoke alright. And a thanks to Kathryn for yesterday’s show presented by Brenda. Sounds like a nice nixer for him, wise to stick to the decaf.

Advertisement