Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Large Sliders in kitchen - concerned about heat loss

• 18-11-2019 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

We're renovating our kitchen in our 35yr old house. I wouldn't say it's badly built but it is drafty and needs some work. We are hoping to fill the majority of the wall into the back garden with one set of wide glass sliders. We're at the very early stages of thinking about this and my primary concern is how cold they might feel? Presumably with triple glazing, the concerns about large glass areas being cold aren't quite as much a concern these days? or is it?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Buy the best quality you can.
    Whether that’s triple glazed, passive spec etc

I have a 4.5m slider and triangle of glass above in an extension and I find it ok.
    The room is the warmest in the house due to the build up, air tightness and insulation I put in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Bdjsjsjs

yellow hen wrote: »
    We're renovating our kitchen in our 35yr old house. I wouldn't say it's badly built but it is drafty and needs some work. We are hoping to fill the majority of the wall into the back garden with one set of wide glass sliders. We're at the very early stages of thinking about this and my primary concern is how cold they might feel? Presumably with triple glazing, the concerns about large glass areas being cold aren't quite as much a concern these days? or is it?

Windows are always cold spots. Even with four layers of glass but it could still be very comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I’ve a 6 meter wide slider in our kitchen / dining. This morning all our shaded windows had frost on the outside while the inside was 21 degrees. This shows how well the windows are working as they don’t let much heat out. As said above by kceire buy the best quality you can. I spent a lot on passive windows but it was worth it. It’s not something like a kitchen or a couch that you’ll upgrade or replace after a few years so invest as much as you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks for the replies. We've agreed to spend on the windows and cut back to a very simplistic kitchen unit to recoup costs. Unfortunately the whole houses needs new windows so none of this will come cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

yellow hen wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. We've agreed to spend on the windows and cut back to a very simplistic kitchen unit to recoup costs. Unfortunately the whole houses needs new windows so none of this will come cheap.

In the process of doing the same. Have 7 windows 2 sliding doors and a pvc door to the garage. Can I ask how much yours cost in the end and how many windows you got

• Advertisement
Advertisement