Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Podcasts stream only?

Options
  • 04-11-2019 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

I've subscribed to a few podcasts over the last couple of years; problem is the unlistened to episodes are now using up over 6GB of storage on my iPhone. Is there a way to stay subscribed, ie the podcasts will still show in your library, but only listen to them via streaming and not downloading to your device?

Obviously I'll need to delete the ones already downloaded if this can be made to work.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

On apple in podcasts you can go into settings and keep latest ones. I think I customized mine to keep 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Can you not just delete them and download them again when you want to listen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

It depends on the app, but most have a function to keep 'x' episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Problem is I listen to a fair few and wanted to avoid having to dl and then delete. What I'm looking for is a setting to enable you to browse the podcast show editions then just listen to one on the fly without having to dl anything - is it possible, I can't see a setting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Culchie_85

Why can't it just download the episodes on the fly and cache them like Spotify? At least then you can clear the cache when it gets too big. Sounds counter intuitive.

Also 6GB of audio data is a HUGE amount. How much were you listening to? :)

• Advertisement

Culchie_85 wrote: »
    Why can't it just download the episodes on the fly and cache them like Spotify? At least then you can clear the cache when it gets too big. Sounds counter intuitive.

Also 6GB of audio data is a HUGE amount. How much were you listening to? :)

That's the problem, I'm subscribed to about half a dozen but don't get time to listen so they get backed up, that's why I want to stream rather than dl.

Amnyone know if there's a setting to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Chelon wrote: »
    That's the problem, I'm subscribed to about half a dozen but don't get time to listen so they get backed up, that's why I want to stream rather than dl.

Amnyone know if there's a setting to do that?

Don't feel too bad, I'm in the same boat. My download folder is 20Gb...

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Go to Settings > Podcasts. Under Episode Downloads you’ll see the Download Episodes option. Turn it off.

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Go to Settings > Podcasts. Under Episode Downloads you’ll see the Download Episodes option. Turn it off.

Brilliant, thank you - spent a while googling but didn't see mention of that one squirrelled away. I've now deleted the downloaded episodes, freed up a load of storage now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

A lot of podcast apps are moving to this model as opposed to the traditional download now / play later model of the past.

I much prefer the old school system of auto downloading my favourite Podcasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

I use Podcast Addict on Android to stream all my podcasts. Very rare that I download, usually only if I'm fairly sure I'll be going to an area with no coverage.

Advertisement