Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan Fitness

Options
  • 22-10-2019 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

So I recently completed my first marathon, after running fairly casually for a number of years. I'm hoping to do another in Feb or March and then there's a 50k trail ultra in June that I really want to do. I know a lot of my success is from what I eat. I was overweight and wheezy when I ate meat. Now I'm a healthy weight and my asthma is much improved.

I was so inspired by Game Changers and seeing how many elite athletes are killing it on a plant based diet. I've followed Scott Jurek for years, along with other ultra runners but didn't realise just how many other sports have top athletes that are vegan.

I'd like to hear from others that have had fitness success since ditching the animal products. Or anyone else that has fitness goals they'd like to share :)

veggie/vegan responses only please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I was always big into exercise but had high cholesterol and blood pressure. I was following the bro science type diet of high animal protein and although I looked fit and healthy on the outside I was dying on the inside.

Now I'm cycling 180km a week, and doing 3 weight sessions a week as well. Very fit and bloods are amazing. Muscle mass has gone up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Do you use a protein powder and if so which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

Can anyone recommend a good vegan protein shake?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I don't use a protein powder at the minute as I'm not really looking to build much muscle, so I get enough just through regular eating. But I've used Sunwarrior in the past and that was nice, the chocolate one I think. I tried a plain one from bulkpowders but it was particularly gross on the taste scale!

Unearthly that's great! I think it's really important to show that we can be just as fit, if not more so, on a vegan diet.

Right a few weeks ago I said I was getting a full blood check and was asked to post it. Finally got the hard copy of it. So lets see how i got on.

Just for some background I am a type 1 diabetic since I was 10, now in my 30's.

Blood pressure 112/68
    Resting heart rate 50 beats per minute.
    Blood Glucose 5.6 - within range for a diabetic as per Irish diabetes website
    Hba1c. This is a measure of the blood sugar last 3 months. Mine is 50. Diabetic website says aim for less than 53 but I want to improve on this.

I am putting my result first, then the referenced target range after it.

Ok so lets start with Cholesterol.

Cholesterol (total): 4.01. Target 2.5 to 5.00
    HDL: 2.11. Target 1.00 to 2.00
    NON-HDL Cholesterol: 1.90. Target 1.80 - 3.80
    LDL Cholesterol: 1.64. Target 1.00 to 3.00
    Total HDL Cholestrol Ratio: 1.9. Target 2.0 to 5.0
    Triglycerides: 0.57. Target 0.50- 1.70

Ok so some interesting results there. The HDL cholestrol which is considered the good cholesterol is high and the LDL and triglycerides which are linked to heart disease are very low. All good there :)

B12: 1010. Target range 206-1000.

Ever hear of a vegan with too much b12? You just found him :pac:

Calcium: 2.39. Target Range 2.15-2.50
    Corrected Calcium: 2.35. Target Range 2.15-2.50

All good here within range.

Phosphorus: 0.77. Target range 0.81 to 1.45

Opportunity here. Looking online I eat all the foods recommended to increase this so not sure yet how to fix.

Liver Profile

Total Proteins: 71. Target range 66-87
    Bilirubin: 8. Target range 0-21
    Alkaline phosphatase: 74. Target range 40-129
    Gamma GT: 9. Target range 10-71
    AST (GOT) 25. Target range 0-40
    ALT (GPT) 20. Target range 0-41

So as we all know at this stage, protein easy to get as a vegan. Gamma GT I can't find anything about being too low, just that if it's high it causes liver disease.

Urea/Creat/Electroly

Urea: 4.2. Target range 2.8-8.1
    Sodium 144. Target range 136-145
    Potassium 4.4. Target range 3.5- 5.3
    Creatinine 64. Target range 59-104

So all these within range. This means healthy kidneys

Serum Ferritin: 116. Target range 23-393.

This is for iron levels. Since I'm eating only plants, my iron is non heme iron which is harder to absorb than animal heme iron but I am still within range.

Folate Immunoassay: 10.6. Target range 4.5- 20.0

This is B9 which I get from leafy greens, beans and lentils

TSH: 2.13. Target range 0.27 to 4.20. This is my thyroid so all good.

I have many more results there about red and white blood count and they are all within range. Apologies for long post but I know some people are very much into health and would be interested to know a vegans blood work. Overall my results match up to peer reviewed scientific studies about vegans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

You have nothing to worry about, Unearthly.

Your iron levels are perfect. I have great trouble getting high enough iron from food but this is a hereditary thing, I've been borderline iron all my life, meaning my ability to donate blood has been spotty, excuse the pun. According to the IBTB, 1.8 billion people in the world suffer from shortage of iron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Unearthly wrote:
    Right a few weeks ago I said I was getting a full blood check and was asked to post it. Finally got the hard copy of it. So lets see how i got on.

Where did you get bloods done? My GP wont do full profile or vitamins/minerals etc as says unnecessary (despite fact I'm a vegetarian/almost vegan with restricted diet -am a fussy eater )

I got mine done at GP. I've seen people online say the same that they were rejected.

Maybe a sign that the countries health is fecked and just don't have the time as too many people are on death's door

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

I was so inspired by Game Changers and seeing how many elite athletes are killing it on a plant based diet. I've followed Scott Jurek for years, along with other ultra runners but didn't realise just how many other sports have top athletes that are vegan.

I wouldn't pin too much hope on the documentary it is extremely bias and cherry picks alot of the studies.

That being said I have personally adopted a more plant based diet (not completely but would generally build 2-3 plant based meals a day into my diet)

One of the athletes that I coach has been going well off a vegan diet. He only adopts this for 2-3 months at a time in build up to races but manages to maintain high training loads with no ill effects. Recently came off a big PB in the marathon (is running in the sub 2.40 range)

For him reasons are from a calorie perspective (i.e he uses it as a weight management tool)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FoodC

For me the best vegan protein powder is rice protein powder, good vegan blend powder or cannabis protein powder
    :)

• Advertisement

KSU wrote: »
    I wouldn't pin too much hope on the documentary it is extremely bias and cherry picks alot of the studies.

That being said I have personally adopted a more plant based diet (not completely but would generally build 2-3 plant based meals a day into my diet)

One of the athletes that I coach has been going well off a vegan diet. He only adopts this for 2-3 months at a time in build up to races but manages to maintain high training loads with no ill effects. Recently came off a big PB in the marathon (is running in the sub 2.40 range)

For him reasons are from a calorie perspective (i.e he uses it as a weight management tool)

I'm not pinning any hope on it. I don't really need hope. There are plenty of athletes (elite and non elite) thriving on a plant based diet, myself included.

Whilst the data cited may or may not be cherry picked. There's no denying what people like Jurek etc are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Watched game changers recently - seriously considering moving to a predominantly plant based diet.

Whilst the data cited may or may not be cherry picked. There's no denying what people like Jurek etc are doing.

Jurek is a phenomenal athlete no doubt. One of the true Ultra running greats (unlike many of marketeers like Karnazes, Rob Young, Sharon Gayter etc)

But to belittle athletes efforts to being attributable to diet alone diminishes the achievements of those athletes.

There are a number of athletes doing incredible performances as vegan, paleo, hell even beer and pizza. The diet is not the determining factor with these athletes in many cases.

Jurek is a phenomenal athlete no doubt. One of the true Ultra running greats (unlike many of marketeers like Karnazes, Rob Young, Sharon Gayter etc)

But to belittle athletes efforts to being attributable to diet alone diminishes the achievements of those athletes.

There are a number of athletes doing incredible performances as vegan, paleo, hell even beer and pizza. The diet is not the determining factor with these athletes in many cases.

I agree completely, but the point is to show that it can be done on a vegan diet.

For so long society has though of vegans as weak and "protein deficient". Which is why the documentary is important because it's showing that that's not the case at all. It isn't saying you have to be vegan to be an elite athlete, it's just saying you can be, vegans aren't at a disadvantage.

I agree completely, but the point is to show that it can be done on a vegan diet.

For so long society has though of vegans as weak and "protein deficient". Which is why the documentary is important because it's showing that that's not the case at all. It isn't saying you have to be vegan to be an elite athlete, it's just saying you can be, vegans aren't at a disadvantage.

But strictly speaking, they were right.

The issue is protein quality and digestibility. Animal protein is more digestible than plant protein (roughly 90% vs around 60%) due to anti nutrients. These can be offset through soaking/boiling/steaming but this also impacts nutrient values of said vegetables so also needs to be taken into account both in terms of making sure diet is adequate for demands but also influences calorie intake (i.e would need to increase calories to offset this)

That's the problem with this documentary and many other claims that simply say X study says Y therefore it's true without addressing it multi-facetedly. You can't make these claims without dealing with the obvious issues it leads to a host of issues.

It's not that vegan diets are bad it's that the information is given in a vacuum a lot of the time. Yes education has helped correct a number of the pitfalls that supported societal claims previously but there is still an awful lot of pitfalls to adopting this sort of diet without fuller understanding of the limitations and that is where documentaries like this one do a disservice to plant based approaches.

But strictly speaking, they were right.

The issue is protein quality and digestibility. Animal protein is more digestible than plant protein (roughly 90% vs around 60%) due to anti nutrients. These can be offset through soaking/boiling/steaming but this also impacts nutrient values of said vegetables so also needs to be taken into account both in terms of making sure diet is adequate for demands but also influences calorie intake (i.e would need to increase calories to offset this)

That's the problem with this documentary and many other claims that simply say X study says Y therefore it's true without addressing it multi-facetedly. You can't make these claims without dealing with the obvious issues it leads to a host of issues.

It's not that vegan diets are bad it's that the information is given in a vacuum a lot of the time. Yes education has helped correct a number of the pitfalls that supported societal claims previously but there is still an awful lot of pitfalls to adopting this sort of diet without fuller understanding of the limitations and that is where documentaries like this one do a disservice to plant based approaches.

What limitations? I haven't experienced any limitations. I'm fitter, more active and achieving more physically than I ever have.

To be honest, this thread wasn't meant to turn into a debate about the documentary. It was to be about individual peoples fitness and what they have achieved since being veggie/vegan. The doc just inspired the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭all the bais

Went vegan as part of my 20-week training plan for Dublin Marathon, with every intention of reverting back to a regular diet straight after. Found I recovered really well after my long runs, where previously I would have been like a zombie for 48hrs after. Knocked 31mins off my PB, by running 3.24. Don't think I will ever revert back now.

Found the diet transition really easy as the wife is vegan and she is an incredible cook.

What limitations? I haven't experienced any limitations. I'm fitter, more active and achieving more physically than I ever have.

To be honest, this thread wasn't meant to turn into a debate about the documentary. It was to be about individual peoples fitness and what they have achieved since being veggie/vegan. The doc just inspired the question.

And fair play to you I am not having a pop at veganism in general I was more trying to make the conversation a little more nuanced as its not as simple as meat bad vegan good, proper nutritional information should consider all aspects before making informed decision and that documentary is not well rounded enough to give people a good basis to adopt the approach.

As i mentioned moving to more plant based diet myself (not completely) and an athlete I can has adopted the approach we would both be in the sub 2.50 marathon range. I am doing this for a number of reasons (though I am not against meat)

As you mentioned you have lost weight so in your case calorie intake was higher than daily requirements so the change in calorie intake with less calorie dense foods has had more positive benefits on your health.

For someone already at a healthy weight range this sort of shift without the proper considerations could leave them them underweight and suffer from the likes of RED-S or many other issues.

If the bio-availability of protein is not considered then someone tracking macro's might not be calculating correctly (as mentioned with digestibility of protein they could be taking in up to 33% lower than they think or end up needed a couple of hundred kcal's higher than what they believe) or similarly certain amino acids. While the diet itself might not cause deficiency someone meticulous in approach or addressing it rigidly could end up with many of the deficiencies that people warn of, again not because of the diet persay but because the food values are not the same to what would be prescribed in many nutritional information points.

The likes of Game changers will more than likely convert alot of athletes, but it will be short term because the information wasn't well grounded and many people will come across pitfalls and blame on the diet itself and will be seen as a fad along the lines of many that have fallen before.

Went vegan as part of my 20-week training plan for Dublin Marathon, with every intention of reverting back to a regular diet straight after. Found I recovered really well after my long runs, where previously I would have been like a zombie for 48hrs after. Knocked 31mins off my PB, by running 3.24. Don't think I will ever revert back now.

Found the diet transition really easy as the wife is vegan and she is an incredible cook.

It's funny because my husband is the same recovery wise. He's reached the point where he can do the marathon, then a few hours later he's basically fine. Little stiffness in the legs but that's all. Unfortunately I've not managed that feat yet! After my first marathon this September I was incredibly stiff and sore the next day. But hopefully now my distance running is increasing more and more, that will start to ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Protein is not an issue.

• Advertisement

Protein is not an issue.

Enlightening, did you actually read any of what I said or simply saw protein mentioned and pounced on that?

Blinkered tribalism just leads to confirmation bias which is sad to see as I do see merits in some elements of the plant based approach (and many people do see benefits simply because eating more veg should be encouraged on any diet, anything that pushes away from processed crap of any kinda (be it convenience meat products or vegan "substitutes") but like anything pro's and cons need to be weighed in order to get the most optimum approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

auspicious wrote: »
    Do you use a protein powder and if so which one?

I've never used one and I don't think I will.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uup4lqV1H5U

Here is also a good article about the most important supplements for vegans

https://foodclinicdiet.com/most-important-supplements-for-vegans/

Interesting article, we take a B12 and a magnesium.

I've just switched gyms to one thats just across the road from my job, so I'm currently going every lunch time. I'm feeling a little stiff from it and don't want to overdo it but I am enjoying it. I don't do anything at lunch anyway, so its either gym or sit at my desk!

I've always just ordered standing desk for work so I can sit or stand for portions of the day which I think will really help. I hate being sat on my backside all day. I've been doing it for 15 years and my hips have suffered greatly. So hopefully this change will ease things.

I sit whole day long- just as you! It is unhealthy. I walk everyday about 50 minutes and doing yoga.. I feel like I have to move my body, so I know what you actually feel!

Advertisement