Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in Dublin sells paneer?

Options
  • 09-09-2016 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Anyone know?
    Checked some Asian stores and health shops but no luck. I am sure I saw it somewhere recently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bigger asian shops. Eurasia in Liffey Valley have UK made fresh or Indian made frozen stuff.

I can make it myself but I prefer the UK made stuff! Also, most people don't have cheese cloth lying around...

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Have you personally made paneer this way? Just wondering what you thought of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

L1011 wrote: »
    Bigger asian shops. Eurasia in Liffey Valley have UK made fresh or Indian made frozen stuff.

I can make it myself but I prefer the UK made stuff! Also, most people don't have cheese cloth lying around...

I haven't been to Eurasia but a friend of mine said they had none recently but maybe they just didn't notice it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Weyhey wrote: »
    I haven't been to Eurasia but a friend of mine said they had none recently but maybe they just didn't notice it?

Haven't not had it any time I've been there. Fresh tofu they're often out of, though. Paneer (and Tofu...) are in a fridge in the back corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Weyhey wrote: »
    Have you personally made paneer this way? Just wondering what you thought of it?

I've often made it myself at home, it's really easy to do. Warm milk up to about 75-80C, add lemon juice or neutral vinegar. Then it's basically leave to curdle, strain and compress.

In the past, I've gotten it in Asian food stores and I think I might even have gotten it in Tesco once?? Not sure about that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

/stumbles across thread

Have been able to get it in Kwality Foods in Rathmines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

dudara wrote: »
    I've often made it myself at home, it's really easy to do. Warm milk up to about 75-80C, add lemon juice or neutral vinegar. Then it's basically leave to curdle, strain and compress.

Interesting. Is it hard to compress?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

embraer170 wrote: »
    Interesting. Is it hard to compress?
    Put it in a cheese cloth or glass cloth. Then wrap it tightly to squeeze the excess liquid out. You can then put it with the cloth into a paneer mould to give it a shape or you can shape it by hand. Leave it to drain further for a while in the cloth then place a weight such as a pot on top of it and leave to set for at least an hour.

Eurasia sells pre-made packaged paneer. It's in the deli counter down at the back of the shop where the sweets are. You pay for it at that counter. It was there last week I think although I never buy the packaged one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

Shint0 wrote: »
    Put it in a cheese cloth or glass cloth. Then wrap it tightly to squeeze the excess liquid out. You can then put it with the cloth into a paneer mould to give it a shape or you can shape it by hand. Leave it to drain further for a while in the cloth then place a weight such as a pot on top of it and leave to set for at least an hour.

Thanks, I'll give it a try one of these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

You could ring the Asian Store on Mary street in city centre and see if they have it in stock http://www.asianfood.ie/contactus.php
    I got paneer here previously...it was a good while ago though so not sure if they still stock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭browneire

Was on the paneer hunt today. Asia market didn't have it in Ballymount. Luckily this spot did on South circular road.

Timgad Grocery

207 S Circular Rd, Merchants Quay, Dublin 8
    (01) 402 0799 https://g.co/kgs/dXVe3j

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Dunne's in St. Stephens Green sells it, I imagine some of the other big stores have it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

browneire wrote: »
    Was on the paneer hunt today. Asia market didn't have it in Ballymount. Luckily this spot did on South circular road.

Timgad Grocery

207 S Circular Rd, Merchants Quay, Dublin 8
    (01) 402 0799 https://g.co/kgs/dXVe3j

Tesco sells it.

Advertisement