Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Query

Options
  • 09-09-2020 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi, I'm not sure is this the right forum to post. But it has the highest footfall so thought it was good start and hopefully someone can provide some insight or guidance.

I have a query about non-permanent immigration into Ireland. A friend of mine from the US came into the country on the 12th of June. Their passport was stamped for the 5th of August. However, during that period they contacted the releavant authorities and received a general email that anyone who had a stamp between certain dates would receive a 30 day extension so in essence valid until the 5th of Septmeber.

My friend, travelled to the UK on the 3rd of September to ensure that they didn't breach their time limit in Ireland. But I have been told from a source that because of the Common Travel Area between Ireland & the UK they are considered the same juristriciton and that the 90 day limit applies as one between ireland and the Uk. However, when they were checking online prior to leaving the UK they found online that they could travel to the UK for up to 6 months without a Visa.

So we're both a little confused and stressed at the situation, if anyone can help I'd really appreicate it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sounds to me like their visa ran out on the 5th.

I am in no way an expert though. Best contact the authorities and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Their visa has expired. If they continue to stay they might jeopardise future EU travel visas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

You need to get married. That's basically the only option you have left, to solve this little pickle you've gotten yourself into! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

Matt Damon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Law is way too easy to flout. A ferry from Scotland to Northern Ireland means they're back on the island without leaving the U.K. Bus to Newry. Taxi to Dundalk. But hey, nobody wants a hard border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

Oh god love you putting this in after hours.

There was a further extension which will bring their visitors permission to the 5th of October.

If they just went to Northern Ireland and back, it doesn't change anything. If they got a new stamp on re-entering Ireland, time starts again.

I would suggest they ring the Immigrant Council helpline to be sure, you'll get the number if they google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Sonrisa wrote: »
    Oh god love you putting this in after hours.

There was a further extension which will bring their visitors permission to the 5th of October.

If they just went to Northern Ireland and back, it doesn't change anything. If they got a new stamp on re-entering Ireland, time starts again.

I would suggest they ring the Immigrant Council helpline to be sure, you'll get the number if they google it.

Immigrant Council, thanks that gave me a good laugh, why not ad in MASI and Pavee Point for good measure and to cover all bases.

OP sounds like your friend is trying to extend their holiday time in ireland.

Why didn't they ask for a longer period in Ireland when they landed in Ireland in the first instance.

Sounds a bit shady.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is it the field she is interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Contact the US embassy, they may know best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

there's a 1 month extension for all visas running out 20th Aug to 20th sept

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

What's the penalty for overstaying? A fine? Surely if it's not too expensive, just pay it and take the slap on the wrist. I can't imagine you're friend's going to end up in some Garda cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Route1

Well, the fear is jeprodising future travel into the country. I know in the US if you overstay by even a couple of days the travel ban can be something like 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Route1 wrote: »
    Well, the fear is jeprodising future travel into the country. I know in the US if you overstay by even a couple of days the travel ban can be something like 3 years.

When she leaves they’ll make a note of her overstay on the passport and it will be logged electronically. Would be very hard to get another EU visa after that, and she can forget about Australia or NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Hi, I'm not sure is this the right forum to post. But it has the highest footfall so thought it was good start and hopefully someone can provide some insight or guidance.

I have a query about non-permanent immigration into Ireland. A friend of mine from the US came into the country on the 12th of June. Their passport was stamped for the 5th of August. However, during that period they contacted the releavant authorities and received a general email that anyone who had a stamp between certain dates would receive a 30 day extension so in essence valid until the 5th of Septmeber.

My friend, travelled to the UK on the 3rd of September to ensure that they didn't breach their time limit in Ireland. But I have been told from a source that because of the Common Travel Area between Ireland & the UK they are considered the same juristriciton and that the 90 day limit applies as one between ireland and the Uk. However, when they were checking online prior to leaving the UK they found online that they could travel to the UK for up to 6 months without a Visa.

So we're both a little confused and stressed at the situation, if anyone can help I'd really appreicate it.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/visa_requirements_for_entering_ireland.html#:~:text=The%20Short%20Stay%20Visa%20Waiver,suspended%20due%20to%20COVID%2D19.

The 'bridge' waiver for visa holders travelling between the UK and Ireland was suspended a few months back so travelling to UK has likely invalidated their Irish Visa status.

Should have checked the rules before travelling to the UK unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Also, all short term Visa entries into Ireland are single entry only. They have broken that by leaving the jurisdiction...

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Route1

Also, all short term Visa entries into Ireland are single entry only. They have broken that by leaving the jurisdiction...

How do you mean? If Ireland and UK are considered same jurisdiction due to common travel area. Then it's not? Also they received no stamp upon entry to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

How do you mean? If Ireland and UK are considered same jurisdiction due to common travel area. Then it's not? Also they received no stamp upon entry to the UK.

Ireland and the Uk are not same jurisdiction ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I think your and their confusion is caused by their misreading of their status.

I have a query about non-permanent immigration into Ireland.

What is non-permanent immigration supposed to mean?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

OP I am going to move your thread to the Travel section where you may get better advise. Reminder to read the local charter before posting

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

I don't see the issue here to be honest. They flew to Ireland, got a 90 day visa and left within that time frame. Arrived in England and got a 6 month visa. So when they fly to Ireland, they'll just get another 90 days so long as they're not doing it too often. USA folk are generally not worried about as much as other countries though. There's common travel between England and Ireland but I don't see how that's a factor. You're leaving the jurisdiction and that's the terms of the visa.

Edit: I'm surprised it wasn't moved to the Legal discussion forum - all immigration discussions are in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭steve-o

This thread is full of misinformed nonsense. From the OP's description, there is no visa involved.

OP, has your friend returned to Ireland yet? If so, they should have got a new stamp upon re-entering (assuming they are travelling by air). If not, they should just make sure they have evidence of their flight out in case there are any issues at immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

The common travel area applies to citizens of the common travel area. So wouldn't apply to your friend anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Thought I'd just reply to this in case anyone else is in a similar spot. OP, hope your friend is back in Ireland!

My boyfriend (American) came over on July 1st and had booked his flight home for September 8th. He was just about to change that flight to the end of September (the end of the 90 days) but he realised that at Dublin airport they had stamped it for the 8th. We did a lot of emailing and phone calling and it was clear he had to be out of the state by the date stamped on his passport.

With the covid and all that going on we are in a bit of a difficult situation so we decided to do a border hop. We flew to Greece so that he would be out of the state by the 8th and I'm assuming that when we return to Ireland next week he will be given a new 90 days. He's managed to change his flight home for free with aerlingus.

Hope this info helps anyone else in a similar situation.

Advertisement