Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&R stay safe everyone

Options
  • 12-03-2020 7:29pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭

As the title of thread says,

I am hoping every body, regulars and lurkers alike, stay safe and healthy over the next while.

Keep those hands clean.
    Soap and water for 20 seconds, front and back, not forgetting the nail beds and palms.
    Keep them away from your face.
    Clean down surfaces like door handles and other commonly touched household surfaces.

And, once it's passed, we'll organise a special Beers to celebrate!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

For the sake of older and at risk people, please heed the government advice, our hospitals can't cope with what we have now, so grim times ahead with this.

Here's how the WHO and HSE suggest to wash your hands. It's actually pretty straightforward to remember once you've done it a couple of times.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Seems obvious as well but you'd be surprised by how "in a hurry" we all act like when we do wash our hands.

Stay safe everyone, it'll go away quicker if we all stick to the advice given.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Seems obvious as well but you'd be surprised by how "in a hurry" we all act like when we do wash our hands.

Stay safe everyone, it'll go away quicker if we all stick to the advice given.

I was assisting with hand hygiene classes today for staff and you wouldn't believe how badly people who are supposed to do it all the time can manage to be so bad at it.
    It's worth checking the video out and trying to practice better hand washing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

For reference, the chorus of Jolene is about 20 seconds long. Sing that to yourself while washing your hands. That’s my pro tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Yep definitely stay safe everyone. And for those that have a lot of free time this would be a chance to give all your pads games consoles etc a good clean down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Stay safe and retro in lockdown :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

How is everyone doing out there?
    Who is still working, working from home, in the home or had some bad news on the job front?
    Don't have to reply but I mean it when I say this thing isn't going to last forever and stay safe.

Otherwise, what game franchise is going to help you the most, during this crisis and the recovery?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    How is everyone doing out there?
    Who is still working, working from home, in the home or had some bad news on the job front?
    Don't have to reply but I mean it when I say this thing isn't going to last forever and stay safe.

Otherwise, what game franchise is going to help you the most, during this crisis and the recovery?

I was told last week to stay home by my employer. She said she sent away a form to the government on my behalf, or at least her office assistant did. I'm usually paid a fortnightly wage so I don't know how this works on my end, she said I didn't have to do anything - that it's all sorted.

I think once this is all over, we're all going to appreciate a lot of things we didn't much before. We're going to love our jobs, and public businesses - tourist locations, pubs, restaurants - are going to be packed with customers.

In terms of games, not so much franchises but I'm grateful to have my broadband installed this morning, because I've actually made an effort to play online again, when I've just never been interested in years, as much as I used to. I think I just want the company.

If there's any franchise I might dive into while I have the time, it'll probably be Devil May Cry. I just recently installed the trilogy and DMC4. Looking forward to starting them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Everything ok here. Nobody sick. Just glad I still have a job and am getting paid, especially with my credit card bill. Working from home most days but back in a few days when I need to.

As for games to keep me sane, I'm between my parents place and my place in Gorey. I bought Doom Eternal but I'm not feeling it so playing Deception 4 and indie games when I have my PS4/PC.

In my parents place I have my PS3 and SNES set up. Tried Folklore on the PS3 and it seems like a thoroughly normal game that I probably won't stick with. On SNES I'm at the final dungeon of the SNES remake of the original Megami Tensei game. For a 8-bit dungeon crawler the difficulty is nicely balanced and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Atm I’m like a box of LEGO. In bits

Thankfully it doesn’t seem to be spiky virus related but I’m staying indoors as much as possible.

Extremely annoyed at the seemingly entitled little f**ks that think it’s a good idea to treat this issue like a summer break and meet up in groups of little Petri dishes.

As for games I’ve as usual played a lot of SMK. Although a break is coming now because it’s looking certain that no world championship will take place this year.

I’ve plans to switch kart games soon and have a run at the Mario Kart Super Circuit Irish title soon. Might even hit some Double Dash as well.

Stay safe all and hopefully this passes soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Everyone doing fine here as well, although we've not been out in public for over 2 weeks now - occasional spin in the car to break up the boredom.
    Able to work from home luckily enough so able to keep somewhat of a normal routine, extra 2 hours in bed in the mornings is a nice bonus :)

Not doing very much gaming though, using the extra time to finish off lots of abandoned projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Steve X2

All good here, working from home mostly with maybe 1 or 2 trips a week into the office. Apart from that all in good health and doing my bit with 3D printing face shields/visors for healthcare workers along with some other bits and pieces where needed.

I saw that 3D printing of stuff for HCWs, that's great and, as I am a HCW, thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Everything helps, it's great to see.

I'm working on a covid ward on and off, so hopefully the HSE shipment of PPE (30 million worth)gets to all the healthcare settings soon. Infection control are throwing half their rules out of the window because of concerns supplies aren't going to be enough guidelines are changing every day, and it's only just getting going.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Everything helps, it's great to see.

I'm working on a covid ward on and off, so hopefully the HSE shipment of PPE (30 million worth)gets to all the healthcare settings soon. Infection control are throwing half their rules out of the window because of concerns supplies aren't going to be enough guidelines are changing every day, and it's only just getting going.

I was involved in a pantomime yesterday in work, as I attempted to inventory a new delivery of PPE that never turned up!
    And the kind of "advice" coming from people who should no better, and I refuse to acknowledge as valid, but then I know that when the PPE cupboard and the residents in our service still need care, we will do it as well as can regardless.
    And that's how HCW end up infected.
    A proper delivery will go a long way to allay fears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I'm at home this week, we were meant to be in Tokyo but all that went out the window unfortunatley. It was an absolute nightmare trying to get through to Expedia but they came good in the end, their system just went into meltdown with everything happening. We will be getting full refunds from the airline.

I won't go into detail on here but a colleague's wife tested positive last week, that colleague was then in work for a day and a half before their wife got the test results. Stay safe and keep your distance, you don't know what's going on behind people's doors. It was a bit of an eye opener regarding social distancing.

We are probably one of those forums on Boards that know each other the best, and in person.
    I can't wait to see everyone once this is over, definitely an excuse to have the biggest Beers Bash ever!
    I'll have to hire a marquee!
    Is DeSade available I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hope everyone's keeping safe!

I had an absolute nightmare getting back from South Africa. When I left Ireland there were only 6 active cases (with none in SA) and by the time I was leaving, Ireland was up to almost 200 with South Africa about to go into complete lockdown.

All foreign visas were revoked so had to gtfo ASAP. However, we were told at the check in desk at the airport that we weren't going to be let on the plane (as we hadn't been in isolation for two weeks) - absolute freak out. Much arguing ensued, finally let us on the plane, then to be told our connecting flight in Turkey might be cancelled.

Arrived in Turkey to a flight board full of cancelled flights, with Dublin as one of the only ones left on it.

Got home thank jasus, but I tell you what, spending the guts of 24 hours on planes and in airports with a face mask on is not an experience I'm going to forget. Every cough, sniffle or sneeze from fellow passengers was immediately looked upon with suspicion.

TLDR version, don't fly if we're on the cusp of a pandemic!

Glad you got back in one piece and healthy

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Glad you got back in one piece and healthy

Thanks ciderdude! Now just have to battle against going stir crazy in an apartment with two cats :D

I have to say though, being locked in has me flying through games. Finished Mario Odyssey a couple of days ago and about to wrap up Link's Awakening.

Might pop back to Super Mario World, who knows :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

96 exits or GTFO

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    96 exits or GTFO

More like STFI (stay the frak in!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Frak%21_Cover.jpg

(yeah yeah I know BSG frakkin' did it first)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    96 exits or GTFO

I'm half thinking of giving it a bash myself, last time I did it I wasn't even an adult! I have to finish Twilight Princess HD first though (my first time playing it, went into it expecting a **** show considering the flak it gets, but it's a perfectly decent Zelda game - really nice to get back to dungeons after missing out on them in BotW). Plus I have a hankering to play Castlevania on the NES for the first time ever too :o All it took was a global pandemic!

Good luck with Castlevania.

It's an amazing game but it's tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    Finished Mario Odyssey a couple of days ago

What did you think of it? I loved every minute of it, another spectacular Ninty game!

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    What did you think of it? I loved every minute of it, another spectacular Ninty game!

Bloody brilliant! So many fun little things in it I can't even remember them all. Always amazes me how fresh a Mario game can still feel in this day and age, you think there'd be no new ideas left!

I'd seriously play a whole game just as T Rex Mario :D

I'm playing a lot of Stadia at the moment, seems pretty lag free for me.
    The Switch is getting a lot of play too, and I'm enjoying dipping in and out of the Japanese eShop and buying the dirt cheap games on sale, probably only getting an hour or so out of them, but still, a bit of craic.
    Retro-wise, just got a AV adapter for the TG-16, so going to hook that up via RGB for the first time and, with the help of my trusty Turbo Everdrive, pass a very pleasant couple of hours there too!

I've started Super Mario Bros 3 which..... I've never beaten before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

All good here thankfully.

When I’m not pretending to do college work I’ve been alternating between animal crossing and need for speed heat. Definitely not the best NFS in the series but very pleasantly surprised at how good it is. Just a shame there’s not much post story content.

Advertisement