Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flight Fest (Vulcan fly past)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Air Boss

Interesting just announced the aircraft will be at Soutport that day as well - less flying time to us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

airboss, you're an awful tease:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Frank Jnr

A full power climb out at the Custom House would be nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Just wondering, would people pay to fill a fleet of boats all insured with drivers life jackets etc, leaving dunlaoire and heading to the liffey to view the show?

edit: I can get this organised. Sailing or motorboats whatever suits you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Mech1 wrote: »
    Just wondering, would people pay to fill a fleet of boats all insured with drivers life jackets etc, leaving dunlaoire and heading to the liffey to view the show?

edit: I can get this organised. Sailing or motorboats whatever suits you.

Definitely,i know i would. Getting in and out of the city and finding a decent spot will be a headache so any way to avoid it and watch in relative comfort would be welcome.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Definitely,i know i would. Getting in and out of the city and finding a decent spot will be a headache so any way to avoid it and watch in relative comfort would be welcome.

Ok we need a few more positives then i can put it to work. This would be a great day out organised by professional sailors who do this "type" of thing every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

whats the flight path for the day? just wondering is howth a good idea if i cant blag a spot on someones boat.

Razor44 wrote: »
    whats the flight path for the day? just wondering is howth a good idea if i cant blag a spot on someones boat.

Im wondering the same, I assume wind makes no diff as the liffey aint a runway:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Deffo count me in for a boat seat...... I've PM'd you Mech1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

lord lucan wrote: »
    ......Getting in and out of the city and finding a decent spot will be a headache so any way to avoid it and watch in relative comfort would be welcome.
    I got a mate with a river view balcony on John Rodgerson Quay....that has been pre-booked for a couple of months now.

I did have the option of being onboard one of the display aircraft....but the presence of the Vulcan knocks that idea right out of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

Thaths great news really looking forward to it.
    Is the Grace spitfire still coming , cant see it on the website at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jasT1981

Anyone know what happened to the Spitfire? it got quietly taken off the website listings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

airbusa320 wrote: »
    Thaths great news really looking forward to it.
    Is the Grace spitfire still coming , cant see it on the website at the moment.
    jasT1981 wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to the Spitfire? it got quietly taken off the website listings.

From what i heard the owner is getting old and the son is meant to take to flying her. So due to the reasons above some of her shows have been canxed

*this is second hand information so not to be taken as gospel*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is a great idea of an event, should be an awesome sight, I remember Air Spectacular 2000 with great fondness

However, even though I'm no left wing anti-war type, the prospect of a cold war era British nuclear bomber flying a display line down the Liffey is a bit disconcerting. I love classic and vintage planes but the Vulcan came from a particularly bleak time when people in Europe lived under the threat of destruction. As well as that, it was used in the Falklands, a conflict over which Britain and Ireland fell out spectacularly, at the time when the Northern Ireland troubles were also at their height.

I understand relationships are certainly different now, but I wouldn't be surprised if you see an outcry when the far lefties get wind of the participation of certain planes, if they haven't already. The 'Spirit of Great Britain' could go down very badly as well in certain quarters.

All that said, good luck to the organisers and participants, hope the weather is as fair on the day as it is now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Larbre34 wrote: »
    However, even though I'm no left wing anti-war type, the prospect of a cold war era British nuclear bomber flying a display line down the Liffey is a bit disconcerting. I love classic and vintage planes but the Vulcan came from a particularly bleak time when people in Europe lived under the threat of destruction. As well as that, it was used in the Falklands, a conflict over which Britain and Ireland fell out spectacularly, at the time when the Northern Ireland troubles were also at their height.

I understand relationships are certainly different now, but I wouldn't be surprised if you see an outcry when the far lefties get wind of the participation of certain planes, if they haven't already. The 'Spirit of Great Britain' could go down very badly as well in certain quarters.

Those who are always ready to protest may do so but I don't think that should influence unduly what the organisers lay on.

The Vulcan first flew in 1952 and the type was retired in 1984, so I think it can safely be classifed as a historic type at this stage. Most of the audience at the event won't even have been born when the events you mention took place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Tenger wrote: »
    I got a mate with a river view balcony on John Rodgerson Quay....that has been pre-booked for a couple of months now.

I did have the option of being onboard one of the display aircraft....but the presence of the Vulcan knocks that idea right out of the park.

Id imagine that being too close to the river will limit any views of the aircraft to just looking at the underside of them as they pass overhead....

andy_g wrote: »
    From what i heard the owner is getting old and the son is meant to take to flying her. So due to the reasons above some of her shows have been canxed

*this is second hand information so not to be taken as gospel*

that is one story - lets see what the full story is in the fuleness of time after the airshow

westdub wrote: »
    Id imagine that being too close to the river will limit any views of the aircraft to just looking at the underside of them as they pass overhead....

Dont worry every effort to have aircraft as low as possible
    but better than on seal level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

From the ML407 forum....
    Yes ML407 will not be involved now with the Dublin FlightFest due to contractural issues. It is such a shame but I have other bookings waiting for that weekend so thankfully all is not lost.

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Those who are always ready to protest may do so but I don't think that should influence unduly what the organisers lay on.

The Vulcan first flew in 1952 and the type was retired in 1984, so I think it can safely be classifed as a historic type at this stage. Most of the audience at the event won't even have been born when the events you mention took place.

More worried about the C130J

• Advertisement

westdub wrote: »
    From the ML407 forum....

such a pity - I will have some thing to say on this later

jasT1981 wrote: »

recently +1 -3

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jasT1981

Larbre34 wrote: »
    This is a great idea of an event, should be an awesome sight, I remember Air Spectacular 2000 with great fondness

All that said, good luck to the organisers and participants, hope the weather is as fair on the day as it is now

Sadly Sinn Fein have launched an official protest into the Red Arrows displays in Northern Ireland demanding no Red, White and Blue smoke to promote neutrality and want them to not come over as they are 'part of british imperialism they fight against' It was in the Northern Ireland papers a while back... I know of the councillor who demanded this... he is a loon.

He also wanted Orange, White and Purple smoke for the Red Arrows in Newcastle in 2010/2011 to be more neutral. Ironic as those are Orange Order colours lol....

He once asked what Unionists would feel if a display team was to use Green White and Orange smoke in Northern Ireland... my reply was - I would love it... those italian frecce tricolori display jets put on a great show :D

But yes, SF seem to be hell bent on politicising airshows in the North at the minute.. they had the same objections to the Carrickfergus Red Arrows and Typhoon display a few weeks back

I have posted on this before but aircraft will be at display height before the west link bridge so make your own mind up and a friend of mine of will be in Clontarf
    Look at google Earth

emo72 wrote: »
    airboss, you're an awful tease:P
    Not really
    have to keep my job

I spoke to the boat guys today, they are happy to consider running a fleet of these 1720's in to the show. 5 passengers per boat, I need approx 10 seats filled before I can confirm. 3 interested sofar. guessing at 40 to 45 euro per seat including light lunch somewhere on route.

Pm me with phone number if interested.

Ps I'm not involved in this company, I just know the guys, if we get 10 bums on seats they will advertise to fill the other boats.

[IMG][/img]Sailing_back_under_the_sunset.jpg

[IMG][/img]Our_Fleet_at_anchor.jpg

4_17.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭the beerhunter

Air Boss wrote: »
    I have posted on this before but aircraft will be at display height before the west link bridge so make your own mind up and a friend of mine of will be in Clontarf
    Look at google Earth

display height before the *west* link? i'll have to engineer a seat in clearance delivery for the day, all other positions would be v messi...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Has the flight path to/from the display line been published ??

When will the aircraft make a turn after displaying ?? Turning left or right ?? 1,500 ft along the display line ?? When will they climb out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Has the flight path to/from the display line been published ??

When will the aircraft make a turn after displaying ?? Turning left or right ?? 1,500 ft along the display line ?? When will they climb out ?

Not published, it's for display pilots and ATC.

End of custom house quay. Slight Left turn. 1200ft. End of the display line at custom house quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

urajoke wrote: »

End of custom house quay. Slight Left turn. 1200ft. End of the display line at custom house quay.

so if you wanted to avoid the madness in town, would howth be a good spot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Guys if you are planning on going into Dublin in a boat be prepared to be moved, we were on a boat at the Salthill Air Show one year and we were ordered by the Garda water unit out of the display area, so I would assume in Dublin there will be a lot of restrictions on the water.

One serious thing you will have to do is have insurance especially if people are paying.

Razor44 wrote: »
    so if you wanted to avoid the madness in town, would howth be a good spot?

Yes pretty much from blackrock to Howth should have a reasonable view the closer to the city the better the view will get.

So is the display line from O'Connell to Custom House Quay?

Or it it Custom House to Convention Centre(ish)? Airboss mentioned EastLink above.. (I assume he meant EastLink when he posted Westlink)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Can't wait for this, due to be working that weekend but requested it off, gonna be watching it from the 11th floor balcony in Google on Barrow Street, less than 300metres from the Liffey :D:D

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dubliners-get-a-birds-eye-view-of-flightfest-29437488.html

Yet it will be business as usual at Dublin Airport thanks to a carefully laid-out air traffic control blueprint as more than 30 aircraft fly over the city as part of a two-hour-long flypast.

Two air traffic controllers will exchange their usual airport tower for the balcony of the PricewaterhouseCoopers building at Spencer Dock, overlooking the Liffey, to ensure they have a bird's eye view of the event.

If the have ATCO's at Spencer dock would it be a decent asumption that the main display point would be close to there?

I wonder how many of these will be staging out of DUB?
    I assume the FR, EI and EY aircraft to do so. Decent day for spotting perhaps?
    I would love to experience a Vulcan take-off.

EDIT: thanks Urajoke....so flight line is West to East direction?

I would have thought EY could switch the A332 to an A340 on the day and do the flyover during their long turnaround before the 7pm flight to AUH.

Display line is the river liffey from the East link to custom house at 1200ft.

A340 will come from Manchester most other traffic will be from Dublin or Baldonnel, I'd expect any late announcers A380 and 787 to come from the UK.

I'd imagine the Vulcan will just come and go from the Uk.

Display line is the river liffey from the East link to custom house at 1200ft.

A340 will come from Manchester most other traffic will be from Dublin or Baldonnel, I'd expect any late announcers A380 and 787 to come from the UK.

I'd imagine the Vulcan will just come and go from the Uk.

All correct except aircraft can operate down to 800ft

Short interview here of the IAA CEO talkign about FlightFest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73T4xpgAB_w&sns=fb

He specifically mentions "....the Boeing dreamliner and even possibly the A380" and later on mentions "a Lancaster"

Short interview here of the IAA CEO talkign about FlightFest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73T4xpgAB_w&sns=fb

He specifically mentions "....the Boeing dreamliner and even possibly the A380" and later on mentions "a Lancaster"

Big push for final line up

Not so sure about the Lancaster busy day for them in the UK

Boats on the liffey west of the East Link (can get it right sometimes) may be prohibited

Some ex uk military aircraft (see Bray) may also be present and aircraft with female names maybe.

will post display charts in the next day or two

• Advertisement

Looking good.
    Does that mean The strikemaster G-SAOF will be back in Ireland after displaying in Bray(What a sound on start up in Weston the next day).
    As for female names how about hawker hunter Miss demenour as well as p51D Mustang Miss Velma.

Looking good.
    Does that mean The strikemaster G-SAOF will be back in Ireland after displaying in Bray(What a sound on start up in Weston the next day).
    As for female names how about hawker hunter Miss demenour as well as p51D Mustang Miss Velma.
    No mustang sorry

Strikemaster and Hawker hunter v nice.
    Any more clues

Any more clues
    No but
    one last push 2 more weeks will have the final list will keep you updated
    but also
    some transit military will only confirm 48 /24 hours notice

Any more clues
    First item in display ??????

A330

No Turkish Airline display sorry

Transit military sounds interesting , could be USAF seeing as they are flying again.
    Look forward to the final line up.
    Is the Dreamliner BA or Thomson or is it top secret at the moment.

• Advertisement

Transit military sounds interesting , could be USAF seeing as they are flying again.
    Look forward to the final line up.
    Is the Dreamliner BA or Thomson or is it top secret at the moment.

USAF if suitable
    BA
    but not BA380

First item in display ??????

A330

No Turkish Airline display sorry

Aer Lingus A330 or is that to obvious.
    Didn't hear any rumors about Turkish airlines but not happening now, any word on Spitfire replacment

USAF if suitable
    BA
    but not BA380

BA deamliner excellent and USAF transit maybe.I like the sound of this I presume its an Emirates A380. and what about the A330 RAF Voyager ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

BA deamliner excellent and USAF transit maybe.I like the sound of this I presume its an Emirates A380. and what about the A330 RAF Voyager ?????

Screw the 330. Send the Tristar and VC10!

First request was for BBMF - not posible
    RAF Voyager not on display options - pity would be great

• Advertisement
Advertisement