Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atari Lynx Repair

Options
  • 17-08-2020 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just picked this up last night on adverts
    Any idea where I should start ?
    First I have to get a Lynx game as I have none.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Take it apart, check the board for any damage from leaky caps. Then fully recap the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Check out the Retro Man Caves channel on youtube. He does a tear down and repair. Might help you understand how the components work and the common failures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWhTvyN0cIM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

How does this kit look ?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

deadl0ck wrote: »
    How does this kit look ?

To be honest I don't know much about the kits.. Have never attempted anything like that myself.
    Although from what I can tell the MOSFET on that eBay link seems to be the same brand the RMC guy uses in his YouTube video.

He has a two part video and the second video goes more into the technical stuff I think where as the first video is more of an overview..

Best of luck with it though..

Thanks all !

• Advertisement

So I've taken it apart and cleaned and I've recapped it fully, and replaced the MOSFET but still no power.

I then tried the power trick with the wire from battery -ive to the headphone jack +ive. The screen lights up but that's it (even with a game inserted).

I had lightly soldered the wire to the headphone +ive and it fell off, so I tried it again just to see for sure if anything was on the screen and it actually turned on once and the game started (so it's not totally dead)

Here's the strange bit: when it played I took the wire away to cut out the bypass and it stayed playing. I've tried it a few times more but the game won't start again, however, it seems I can turn on the Lynx and it lights the screen if I just touch the wire to the headphone +ive and then remove - it does not need to have a constant connection.

I then had a look at the flex / membrane circuit and some of the traces are broken - I've tried to fix it with conductive paint but no joy yet.

How do I power the lyny on without the membrane connected ?
    This is the Schematic from Console 5

Specifically this bit: power-schem.png

Do I join Power On and +5v, pr is it Power On + Power Com ? Or something else ?

I want to figure if the issue is the membrane or something more....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yep - I did but wasn't getting an answer, but I did this morning

Advertisement