Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating Handicap after being club-less

Options
  • 25-07-2015 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭

I haven't joined a golf club since 2010. I was playing off 2.4 at the point at which my membership expired. I've still been playing golf although not as regularly as I once was but I'm thinking of re-joining a club now since I've moved down South. My handicap now, if I'm being honest, would probably be a shot or maybe two higher. Could I just join this new club and do the whole 3 cards thing and get a brand new handicap or what would the process be? If it is the former, surely I could hack my way around and get a 20 handicap and clean up in the competitions (not that I would do that)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

When I joined a new club after a number of years without a club my handicap was still valid. I felt it was a bit unfair as I couldn't play to it any more but within a few months I was playing to it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

Similarly I was off 9 when i was last a member around 2006...just joined a club this year and have put in my 3 cards and got a h/c of 18. I'd told them i was off 9 when entering the cards but the h/c i got seems to not have taken it into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Johnny86 wrote: »
    Similarly I was off 9 when i was last a member around 2006...just joined a club this year and have put in my 3 cards and got a h/c of 18. I'd told them i was off 9 when entering the cards but the h/c i got seems to not have taken it into account.

I would have checked your 3 cards, taken your past history into account and having discussed it with the h/cap committee probably given a 10 to 13 with the proviso that the committee would monitor your scores. In fairness if you admitted after 9 years that you once did play off 9 illustrates that you are honest.

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    I would have checked your 3 cards, taken your past history into account and having discussed it with the h/cap committee probably given a 10 to 13 with the proviso that the committee would monitor your scores. In fairness if you admitted after 9 years that you once did play off 9 illustrates that you are honest.

Yeah like i can def play to around a 13 or 14. Its just im very inconsistent....hitting around 3 or 4 drives out of bounds per round which just ruins any chance of a score.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Was it the handicap sec you told?
    Seems very generous* to be giving a guy that was single figures a new HC of 18....

*a complete joke

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    Was it the handicap sec you told?
    Seems very generous* to be giving a guy that was single figures a new HC of 18....

*a complete joke

Yeah it was written in big writing on one of my cards.

Like it was almost 10 years when i was off 9 and not been a member since, i'm certainly no where near that level now. If i can get some rounds in i might get it down a few shots by end of the year but not getting to play much.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yeah it was written in big writing on one of my cards.

Like it was almost 10 years when i was off 9 and not been a member since, i'm certainly no where near that level now. If i can get some rounds in i might get it down a few shots by end of the year but not getting to play much.

Understandable that you're not near that level now but I would consider a good HC sec's job to "protect" all the other existing members of a club.
    If I was in their position, I would have given you a maximum of 3 shots above your previous one and let you struggle for a few months until you began to find your game again off 12 or so, rather than potentially causing uproar if you shot 42 off 18 and bagged a big prize which you could easily do soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

MuddyDog wrote: »
    I haven't joined a golf club since 2010. I was playing off 2.4 at the point at which my membership expired. I've still been playing golf although not as regularly as I once was but I'm thinking of re-joining a club now since I've moved down South. My handicap now, if I'm being honest, would probably be a shot or maybe two higher. Could I just join this new club and do the whole 3 cards thing and get a brand new handicap or what would the process be? If it is the former, surely I could hack my way around and get a 20 handicap and clean up in the competitions (not that I would do that)?

The system does presume a certain degree of honesty. Whatever about bandits infiltrating opens, building a handicap in your own club won't win you many admirers to go with those valuable prizes.

But even if you were perverse enough to try it, you would be sorted pretty fast. Cut on observation would kick in and you would find yourself with as many prizes as you have friends.

But the whole question is incongruous. Why would anyone get up in the morning intending to be anything other than their best?

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What happens if you can't remember your GUI number or your handicap after a few years? Do you just start again and get a new GUI number if you join a different club?

Advertisement