Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Much to Pay for Captain's Day?

• 12-07-2015 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Our Captain's Day was last Saturday, with 230 golfers playing in it. I want to ask what people think a member should be expected to pay to play in the main club event of the year.

First up, there were 3 qualifying rounds, which cost the usual €7 to enter. But only if you qualified could you play in the final day. So my question is as above

Having paid €7 to qualify, how much is a reasonable (or unreasonable) amount to pay? 39 votes

€5-€10
    0% 0 votes
    €11-20
    61% 24 votes
    €21-€30
    38% 15 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Really should be €0 if you've paid to qualify already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Anything over 20 euro is way over the top. Prizes should be capped at a certain amount anyway. I would have a lot more pride in winning a Captains competition rather than winning the actual prize. I won a students captain prize years back and will remember that for the rest of my days, cant for the life of me tell you what I won.

Between 10 - 15 as its a major is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Ours is on this weekend, qualify this week for final next week. €25 to enter which is way to steep in my opinion. Optional sweep and entry into the twos was extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Really should be €0 if you've paid to qualify already.
    +1
    It also depends on what's on offer, e.g. our captains and presidents include a 2 course a meal and we pay €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

I'm not going to say quite yet how much it cost, but to answer a couple of things here - the Captain's Dinner was a separate cost.

Every year there are burgers and soft drinks at the halfway point, and a keg of Guinness and Carlsberg are up by the putting green for afters. Every Captain does it. I don't mind paying a bit extra for that as the Captain forks out a good chunk of money for the prizes - and there are lots of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thoscon

Ours is €20,that includes your competition fees a breakfast bap on the 9th on day 1 & the dinner after day 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

our captains is this weekend, and it will be 15 euro to enter the qualifier on the sat and sun. with a 9 hole on the sun eve for who qualified and their has never been anything food or drink wise for us in the past (last 4 yrs for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

€20 covers captains prize qualifier and final, it also covers entry into plate if you don't qualify for main comp. dinner for all after the plate and Capts prize.
    I thinks it's good value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

I believe €10 in total is enough, anything more is just opening the door to all sorts of issues.

Out of interest, how many members of clubs actually know what their Captain actually costs the club for the year ? ...... many years ago I was in a club where the Captain nearly lived in the clubhouse for his year and seemed to be forever signing off on things :rolleyes: needless to say there was murder at the following AGM.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

£5 sterling in Kilkeel the same as every weekly competition. Pre qualifying abolished this year also with juveniles over 16 allowed to play. A resounding success.

• Advertisement

We had to pay €25 to enter the Captain's Day... so including the €7 qualifier it came to €32. Yes, there's a big song and dance made about it and the atmosphere on the day is buzzing, but for that kind of money I won't be playing in next year's event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

We had to pay €25 to enter the Captain's Day... so including the €7 qualifier it came to €32. Yes, there's a big song and dance made about it and the atmosphere on the day is buzzing, but for that kind of money I won't be playing in next year's event.

I am assuming there is no sit down meal included ?
    If so that is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

That's madness, the qualifier should be €10 at least to make up the cost,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

That's a joke, you are paying twice for the same competition, everyone who enters the comp (inclunding all quailifiers) should pay the same and then making it through the quailifier is a prize in itself, instead of been effectively punished by making it through and been asked to pay a penalty of €25, madness!.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

In Moate, we pay €10 for the qualifier and €0 on the Captains Prize day itself. Same applies for our Presidents Prize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Our Captain's qualifying begins next week. Choice of either playing the Sat or Sun and for those who can't play or don't qualify there's a 2nd chance the following Sat in the repechage. €20 to enter the qualifier which then covers the Captain's Prize entry if you succeed. Top 108 from the qualifiers go through to the Captain’s prize which is strokeplay with a shot gun start. Top 21 plus ties from that then play a further 9 holes to decide the winners. The entry fee does include a breakfast before the shotgun start but again you need to qualify as alternatively there’s only a 9 hole Captain’s Plate to play for.

Quite expensive as the qualifier is just a normal competition and will probably have 350+ entries over the two days plus repechage. Also since scores don't carry it can encourage certain people playing well to pull and mind their handicap for the big event the week after. Also this year the qualifiers are disappointingly stableford to further play into the hands of the higher handicappers.

I think the best format for a captain’s prize is to have strokeplay qualifiers with the scores to carry and then have players going out in reverse order on the Captain’s Prize day itself. Adds a real championship feel to the event, rewards consistent play over two weeks rather than a one off event, creates a good odds book with players having shot(s) on the field plus it helps the flow of play unlike a shotgun start with two groupings per hole which can cause serious havoc with slow play.

In our case since scores don’t carry would prefer the qualifiers to have the usual weekend entry fee of €6 and if you succeed then have a separate entry of up to €10.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

OT but my club must be one of the few that you don't have to qualify for the captains. It costs €10 to play and runs Friday and Saturday. There is a dinner the Saturday night but that's optional. Only stipulation is that you must have played in at least 3 counting comps in order to win the main prize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Ours started the weekend gone €25 + €5 sweep (optional) +2's no food or drink, there wasn't even a starter or ranger on the course which I taught was madness as there was lads 4 holes ahead who were holding everything up and they had 4 hole's free in front of them! it took 1 of my playing partners to go over and have a word and they still didn't go much quicker, till it starting raining!

The weekend was qualifying which I definitely didn't so that's €25 down the drain. It was my first ever captain's Day been a member 4 years taught it was a bit of a rip off to be honest didn't think it was any different to any other comp other than the price!

Don't think I would enter again & can see why a lot of members don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

It's expensive to run a captain's day in clubs and this has to be financed somehow - and that's after the captain himself has donated the top prizes.

The choices are for the club to subsidise it, charge all costs to those playing or supplement the income generated with side events, for example a putting competition on the practice green for qualifier and main day at €2 a pop could bring in over a grand. Add to this a raffle or such like on the day plus the €10 entry fee and you've either broken even or made a slight profit.

It's all about a bit of lateral thinking - did it myself and all worked out perfectly but it did take quite a bit of work!

What prompted me to take this approach was the tight budget the club was working on and looking at it from the point of view of most members. They don't mind paying a bit more, once it's not included in the fee.

alxmorgan wrote: »
    I am assuming there is no sit down meal included ?
    If so that is madness.

Dinner was an extra €30.
    golfwallah wrote: »
    It's expensive to run a captain's day in clubs and this has to be financed somehow - and that's after the captain himself has donated the top prizes.

The choices are for the club to subsidise it, charge all costs to those playing or supplement the income generated with side events, for example a putting competition on the practice green for qualifier and main day at €2 a pop could bring in over a grand. Add to this a raffle or such like on the day plus the €10 entry fee and you've either broken even or made a slight profit.

It's all about a bit of lateral thinking - did it myself and all worked out perfectly but it did take quite a bit of work!

What prompted me to take this approach was the tight budget the club was working on and looking at it from the point of view of most members. They don't mind paying a bit more, once it's not included in the fee.

Don't get me wrong, I know there's a huge burden of commitments placed on the Captain throughout the year and I know they fork out for the prizes, but I was still fuming at €25. Even if they'd said: "it's €25 all in, so because you paid €7 for the qualifier already, it's €18 today" I'd have been OK with that.

To pay €32 to play in the club's main event is daft.

PS. good lateral thinking. Captains of the future take note!

• Advertisement

Dinner was an extra €30.

Don't get me wrong, I know there's a huge burden of commitments placed on the Captain throughout the year and I know they fork out for the prizes, but I was still fuming at €25. Even if they'd said: "it's €25 all in, so because you paid €7 for the qualifier already, it's €18 today" I'd have been OK with that.

€30 for dinner on top of the golf
    That's a bit much in all fairness

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

OT I played my home course in a society outing earlier this year and they charged me €20 for the privalege, there were a number of us members and some are leaving because of it....

slave1 wrote: »
    OT I played my home course in a society outing earlier this year and they charged me €20 for the privalege, there were a number of us members and some are leaving because of it....

And you said you were members of the club when checking in?

If so, that's bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Wow, that's a new low in money grabbing. Am actually shocked with the gaul of the club charging it's members to play instead of congratulating them on bringing a society to the club.

As an example of how it should be done we played Luttrellstown in a small work society last year where one of our players was a member. Not only did Luttrellstown not try to charge the member to play his home course but they also willingly permitted 3 guest passes at the further reduced member rate. Signs by Luttrellstown is popular with societies but the club also treats them well and gets a lot of repeat custom as a result.

OT I played my home course in a society outing earlier this year and they charged me €20 for the privalege, there were a number of us members and some are leaving because of it....[/QUOTE

How stupid is that ? ..... Like Dr. C, I recently played in a society outing on my home course with my mate who is also a member, we were allowed to use three guest rates each for the day. This brought the cost down for the society and left a very positive image of the club with all those who played. Needless to say, the society booked again for next year and all I can say is someone at your club is in the wrong job :rolleyes:

Dinner was an extra €30.

thoscon wrote: »
    €30 for dinner on top of the golf
    That's a bit much in all fairness

Agreed - €32 is a bit much for Captain’s Day. In our club it’s been €10 for years (double the ordinary comp fee), which I think is about right for most clubs (as new members aren’t easy to find these days). It’s a special day for captains and everyone wants to have a good day.

But no matter the fee, it still costs around €6,000 - €8,000 to run the day – depending on number of guest invites to dinner, goodie bags, golf balls, prizes, on course food, etc. Yes, you can cut back on some items but costs quickly rack up. And even if the captain’s contribution is around €1,000 and comp fees raise around €3,000, that still leaves a deficit of €2,000 - €4,000.

If nothing else changes, this deficit will come off the surplus or be added to the losses for the year. In the case of the latter this will result in the need for more borrowings, if the club can increase its borrowings, or cost cuts elsewhere.

So, unless you believe in a fairy godmother, something needs to change – and there’s the rub – no one likes change and there are alternatives – just ask the Greeks...

But no matter the fee, it still costs around €6,000 - €8,000 to run the day – depending on number of guest invites to dinner, goodie bags, golf balls, prizes, on course food, etc. Yes, you can cut back on some items but costs quickly rack up. And even if the captain’s contribution is around €1,000 and comp fees raise around €3,000, that still leaves a deficit of €2,000 - €4,000.

and this is where I think golf has gone wrong .... Captains Day should not be some ego trip with a succession of Captains trying to outdo each other and certainly not an excuse to spend clubs funds for personal promotion. The joke is that no matter how big the prize or the sideshow, there will always be moans and of course its guaranteed 'some' bandit will win :rolleyes:

The best Captains always chat to and listen to the members during their year, put up a decent 1st prize to the value of €150 and just simply meet n greet everyone on the day. Spending my subs on lifesize posters of themselves is certainly not my idea of a good Captain :p

Dtoffee wrote: »
    and this is where I think golf has gone wrong .... Captains Day should not be some ego trip with a succession of Captains trying to outdo each other and certainly not an excuse to spend clubs funds for personal promotion. The joke is that no matter how big the prize or the sideshow, there will always be moans and of course its guaranteed 'some' bandit will win :rolleyes:

The best Captains always chat to and listen to the members during their year, put up a decent 1st prize to the value of €150 and just simply meet n greet everyone on the day. Spending my subs on lifesize posters of themselves is certainly not my idea of a good Captain :p

Not all captains are like that,
    Captains is the biggest competition of the year and the prize should be reflective of that its nothing to do with an ego trip

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Ours is a €10 entry fee and you play either Saturday or Sunday. Prizes are generally good with a motocaddy for first for example. Nothing extravagant about it and tbf to the captain a really fair course setup as well. no dinner or anything included however the large playing numbers would surely see more bar and food takings than in a normal singles event

• Advertisement

Maybe you're describing what happens in your club but, in fairness to the majority of captains, I'd say you are in a minority.

In my experience from committee involvement in golf and GAA club, most people go onto committee because they want to give something back to a voluntary community organisation that has played an important part in their lives. Those who get to be captain do this for many years.

I know everyone on committee isn't perfect and all of us have our particular hobby horses and biases - it's part of being human. And captains who never made a mistake simply doesn't exist. Nor do those who manage to please everyone in the club all the time. Similarly, every captain wants to make their day special - and what's wrong with that?

It's all very well to be cynical about peoples' motivations, but, just think about it - nothing would happen if everyone adopted the cynical approach that "they're all in it for the glory, etc.". Sure, some lost the run of themselves during the tiger years, leading a charge whereby members voted to build now unaffordable trophy clubhouses, etc. Members of such clubs are paying for those mistakes now. My experience is that the vast majority of captains do their utmost to serve their clubs and members as best they can - they are not in it for the ego trip you describe.

To try to be balanced about it, these days I think most have learned to be more realistic - certainly for the last 6 years or so balancing the books has been foremost in the minds of most clubs and their captains. But when it comes to captain's day, the easier option is to follow tradition rather than clearly thinking through how to provide the same type of good day at far less cost to the club. Isn't that what this little debate is all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Had our captains day last saturday.. €5 to enter + €20 for dinner that night.(optional)
    We also got lunch after the round... it was great... and unexpected.
    Won a bottle of Jameson for the back 9 so the day cost me very little ☺
    Got a 0.3 cut too.... delighted

Maybe you're describing what happens in your club but, in fairness to the majority of captains, I'd say you are in a minority.

Firstly I am not describing my club, but I am talking from personal experience and anecdotal stories over many years of golfing and I agree ..... I probably am in a minority who think that some Captains Days have gone too far. As for being cynical, I gave two versions of the types of Captains I have seen over the years and at no stage implied every Captain was in it for themselves.

Even you yourself said some lost the plot over the tiger years and I think some still do, that is why I agree with the OP that his Captains day costs are on the high side and again its just a personal opinion. I would be interested to know what people think their Captains budget is for his day and his year or if they even have an idea? I would be only guessing, but generally I would say Captains must have some sort of budget for their day and some sort of bar tab for their year.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

MiniGolf wrote: »
    Won a bottle of Jameson for the back 9 so the day cost me very little ☺
    Got a 0.3 cut too.... delighted

Living the dream there MiniGolf

Firstly I am not describing my club, but I am talking from personal experience and anecdotal stories over many years of golfing and I agree ..... I probably am in a minority who think that some Captains Days have gone too far. As for being cynical, I gave two versions of the types of Captains I have seen over the years and at no stage implied every Captain was in it for themselves.

Even you yourself said some lost the plot over the tiger years and I think some still do, that is why I agree with the OP that his Captains day costs are on the high side and again its just a personal opinion. I would be interested to know what people think their Captains budget is for his day and his year or if they even have an idea? I would be only guessing, but generally I would say Captains must have some sort of budget for their day and some sort of bar tab for their year.

I think you have given a bit more than 2 versions of types of captains with these generalised statements:
    Captains Day should not be some ego trip with a succession of Captains trying to outdo each other and certainly not an excuse to spend clubs funds for personal promotion.
    Spending my subs on lifesize posters of themselves is certainly not my idea of a good Captain

You further added your view that:
    The best Captains always chat to and listen to the members during their year, put up a decent 1st prize to the value of €150 and just simply meet n greet everyone on the day.

What you have omitted from this rather narrow mix of views is that the position of captain is voluntary, freely elected by the members, entrusted to use his best judgement in running the affairs of the club (within the limits of the constitution) and accountable at the AGM for his stewardship at the end of the year.

In using his judgement, Captain’s Day can play an important part not only in providing enjoyment to the members but also in giving recognition to various people who have contributed freely to the running of the club. This judgement includes the value of prizes, whether to provide goodie bags, golf balls, on course food, number of invitees to dinner, etc. It is also an important day in the life of the captain, his family and friends.

You may prefer the parsimonious approach of cutting expense to the bone, for example by limiting the value of prizes. But that’s your view and maybe you would implement this approach if you were captain. But, I and, I think most people, are in practice content to leave such matters to the discretion of the captain, just as long as the fees charged are considered reasonably acceptable by the majority in the club.

In our club the reasonably acceptable fee is €10, covering qualifiers and the day itself. And most of us are just as content that reasonably competent and affable people go forward for the position and do a reasonably good job in the process. I have never heard views like you expressed at any of our AGMs or even casually in the club – and, believe you me, I have played and continue to play a lot of club golf, quite apart from serving on committee, over many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭bmay529

We paid €10 to enter one of two qualifying days, then there was no charge for the captains day competition for those who qualify. Those who went to the captains evening/dinner then paid €50. I think that is fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

I think you have given a bit more than 2 versions of types of captains with these generalised statements:

You further added your view that:

What you have omitted from this rather narrow mix of views is that the position of captain is voluntary, freely elected by the members, entrusted to use his best judgement in running the affairs of the club (within the limits of the constitution) and accountable at the AGM for his stewardship at the end of the year.

In using his judgement, Captain’s Day can play an important part not only in providing enjoyment to the members but also in giving recognition to various people who have contributed freely to the running of the club. This judgement includes the value of prizes, whether to provide goodie bags, golf balls, on course food, number of invitees to dinner, etc. It is also an important day in the life of the captain, his family and friends.

You may prefer the parsimonious approach of cutting expense to the bone, for example by limiting the value of prizes. But that’s your view and maybe you would implement this approach if you were captain. But, I and, I think most people, are in practice content to leave such matters to the discretion of the captain, just as long as the fees charged are considered reasonably acceptable by the majority in the club.

In our club the reasonably acceptable fee is €10, covering qualifiers and the day itself. And most of us are just as content that reasonably competent and affable people go forward for the position and do a reasonably good job in the process. I have never heard views like you expressed at any of our AGMs or even casually in the club – and, believe you me, I have played and continue to play a lot of club golf, quite apart from serving on committee, over many years.

Hey Golfwallah - Who is this rambling sanctimonious post aimed at as a matter of interest?:confused:

I think you have a bit of a utopian view on this to be honest from what I've seen in my experience.

Also no need to mention in every post that you're on a club committee. Newsflash - and this may hurt your feelings a little, but you're not the only boards golf member that is on a club committee so its no particular badge of honour on here.

In fact, you'd almost expect such a noteworthy pillar of the community as yourself not to be posting such naive bs on an internet forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

in Athlone it's €7 to qualify.

That's it.

once you qualify, there's no more payment. Except for blood sweat and tears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

€10 for us which includes entry into the final day or non qualifier event however your day goes.
    Tab in the bar for a couple of pints and then all pints €3 for the night. Finger food platters also. Goody bag on the first tee.

Prizes are top class too for it with about 15 different places between winners, classes etc etc

Domo1982 wrote: »
    Hey Golfwallah - Who is this rambling sanctimonious post aimed at as a matter of interest?:confused:

I think you have a bit of a utopian view on this to be honest from what I've seen in my experience.

Also no need to mention in every post that you're on a club committee. Newsflash - and this may hurt your feelings a little, but you're not the only boards golf member that is on a club committee so its no particular badge of honour on here.

In fact, you'd almost expect such a noteworthy pillar of the community as yourself not to be posting such naive bs on an internet forum

No need to get your knickers in a twist, I’m not seeking badges of honour or anything else. I’m merely responding to a poster calling for parsimonious prizes and suggesting that a goodly number of captains go on a ego trip when it comes to captain’s day.

I’m also raising the issue of how easily committees and captains go along with tradition rather than finding other ways to fund the same level of entertainment value for captain’s day without having to cut back as suggested. If slavish adherence to tradition weren’t such an issue, we would have a lot more people playing golf at more affordable prices than we currently have.

It may sound tiresome and naive to you but people, even faced with bad financial consequences, so easily drop back into their old comfortable ways of doing things without looking at other alternatives. When times get hard, better in my view to go back to the basics of balancing the books and finding new ways of doing things more effectively, than just sticking to the old “tried and trusted” ways.

Maybe that’s naive, but it the same naive method used by the German retail discounters when competing with the established incumbents and by the likes of Ryanair in doing the same in the airline business. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me, I’m merely saying that there are alternative ways of funding captain’s day than the higher fees or lower standards being talked about. That may be obvious and unnecessary of mention to you, but it doesn’t follow that it’s the same for everyone.

Ok Golfwallah, so we have different views .... time to move on as an auld ex-artisan like me couldnt be arsed looking up dictionaries for words like parsimonious. I shall retreat and wallow in my ignorance, I'm sure people can make their own minds up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Dinner was an extra €30.

I actually thing the annual sub we pay is crazy when compared with other clubs. We never had it reduced in the tough years and while they reduced the bar levy, but that was not a real reduction. Carton house don't pay an awful lot more than us each year and they get the choice of 2 courses, and NO competition entry fees. So €7 comp fee, especially for those guys who play Wednesday and Saturday and maybe even again on Sunday, is way OTT.

However, I disagree with your point about the cost of captains being €32. The qualifiers (I think this was the first year we had to play a qualifier) were actually normal weekly competitions, so most guys playing captains would have been playing in one of those anyway.

€25, was a lot, it was that last year and I nearly fell out of my chair when asked for it! I think it was €20 in previous years. I agree €25 is probably to much, but normally there is decent prizes for 1-4th in each of 4 categories, and then 1-6th or 7th overall, along with back 9, front 9, a Gross, a past captains and a putting competiton prize and this year a Long Drive and Nearest Pin. ( I didn't make the dinner this year so assume a similar prize structure). Most guys have a feed of free pints after, so get their moneys worth here. I don't cause I have to drive :rolleyes:. Most of the time you can get aother burger after your game and pick up loads of bars, and soft drinks. So I guess while it is expensive, there is plenty laid on for your money.

The dinner @ €30 is great value, for 4 courses with wine included.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

It's 15 euro for members in our club this weekend and 25 for visitors. For that you get 18 holes of golf on Saturday, another 18 holes on Sunday if you qualify and some food as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ballyk wrote: »
    It's 15 euro for members in our club this weekend and 25 for visitors. For that you get 18 holes of golf on Saturday, another 18 holes on Sunday if you qualify and some food as well.

Visitors @ a captain's prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Seve OB wrote: »
    Visitors @ a captain's prize?

Yep, they get to compete for the visitors prize and they get food as well. Some of them would be friends of the captain or members of neighbouring clubs.

Our place I think was 10 to qualify and then 10 to play. It's steep alright.

ballyk wrote: »
    Yep, they get to compete for the visitors prize and they get food as well. Some of them would be friends of the captain or members of neighbouring clubs.

I think having a visitors prize is fine, so long as members can still get tee times. Some clubs even allow the Captain bring a few of his mates in for the year (gratis) and as you can imagine, that can be very appealing if your ego needs massaging :rolleyes:. Not that I would ever suggest that a lot of Captains are ex-captains of industry who miss being the boss :P.

Advertisement