Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone bought from globalgolf.com?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

http://www.globalgolf.com/golf-clubs/1027431-taylormade-jetspeed-fairway-wood/

Was looking at buying one of these + 5 wood but the prices here seems crazy low, even with the P&P would be a good deal. Just wondering if anyone had bought from them and if the items you got were as described?
    They look legitimate, they are selling second hand as well so that would give me some comfort. In the USA last year's stock it always heavily discounted so the price isn't crazy.
    Be careful as u may have to pay import duty.

mike12 wrote: »
    They look legitimate, they are selling second hand as well so that would give me some comfort. In the USA last year's stock it always heavily discounted so the price isn't crazy.
    Be careful as u may have to pay import duty.

Thanks, I think I'll go 2nd hand and if I'm reading the Revenue site correctly you don't have to pay customs duty if the value of the goods is less than €150. Might leave VAT but again I think even paying that would still leave me saving money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Thanks, I think I'll go 2nd hand and if I'm reading the Revenue site correctly you don't have to pay customs duty if the value of the goods is less than €150. Might leave VAT but again I think even paying that would still leave me saving money.

I've no experience of it but I'm fairly sure that others on here have mentioned that they have been stung with customs even if you pay less than the €150. Iirc Customs place their own value on items and don't pay much heed to invoices etc. Nearly sure CharlieIRL had a bad experience with a similar scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I've bought from global golf via their eBay site, there were even cheaper a few years ago, but not as cheap now with the exchange rates. There multi buy option meant you paid very little extra postage for more clubs.
    Never once paid customs and some orders were over a couple of hundred euro.

I've bought loads of clubs from america and I was only stung once for customs and I think that was because it was delivered by FedEx

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

PARlance wrote: »
    I've no experience of it but I'm fairly sure that others on here have mentioned that they have been stung with customs even if you pay less than the €150. Iirc Customs place their own value on items and don't pay much heed to invoices etc. Nearly sure CharlieIRL had a bad experience with a similar scenario.

I had indeed :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

A pal of mine bought a rare box set of the Smpsons season 3 from the states on line only a couple of weeks ago, it cost him around 60 euro. He got a notification from the local post office that he would have to come down and pay the duty on it before they would release it which was 17 euro, so be careful bringing in stuff from the States citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

If I am getting stuff from the states I usually buy another couple of clubs that I sell on. With the poor exchange rate dont think it's worth it.

mike12 wrote: »
    If I am getting stuff from the states I usually buy another couple of clubs that I sell on. With the poor exchange rate dont think it's worth it.

Well these clubs I was looking at were only €50 each, as opposed to €100+ over here.

Might go into Halpenny and see if they can do a deal or something before ordering. If I get stung for customs it probably won't be worth while, with postage added on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

PARlance wrote: »

Limit for duty is €150, limit for VAT is €22 (€45 if a gift) and C&E should use your proof of purchase as their guide unless it's pathetically off, for VAT postage is taken into account but not for duty, VAT less than €6 will not be collected and neither will duty of less than €10, couriers can add a fee for collection of any tax, finally it's irrelevant whether the item is brand new or used from a tax perspective.
    This is all based upon a straight import into the EU from outside the EU without any prepayment of duties or tax as part of your purchase.

As someone else alluded to, the $ FX at the minute is crap, just back from FL and everything 20%+ more expensive this year thanks to those Greeks :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

A pal of mine bought a rare box set of the Smpsons season 3 from the states on line only a couple of weeks ago, it cost him around 60 euro. He got a notification from the local post office that he would have to come down and pay the duty on it before they would release it which was 17 euro, so be careful bringing in stuff from the States citizens.

Doh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

I had a club sent from the US which arrived yesterday, a value of $75 on the club plus $54 shipping meant €26.33 in Vat and duty plus €7 service charge from an post so any savings in buying from the US are gobbled up very quickly.

Yeah think I'm suitably put off buying from them now with the chance I could pay extra customs, thanks all.

Daft question but that only applies when buying stuff from outside the EU, right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yeah think I'm suitably put off buying from them now with the chance I could pay extra customs, thanks all.

Daft question but that only applies when buying stuff from outside the EU, right?

Yes, outside EU only, some funny European islands are not in the EU 'area' like Jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Really??

Whats the issue with this Charlie? Its a reference to the Simpsons boxset..... 'Doh!' is one of Homers(A guy in the Simpsons) catchphrases when things go wrong. Not trolling, not offending anyone just a joke.

I hope jokes are still allowed on the forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Really??

Doh as in Homer i guess lol

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Hi Folks,

Slightly off topic, I have a relation coming home from the USA soon, would this site be one of the best to order clubs off and for my relation to bring them in their luggage?

Domo1982 wrote: »
    Whats the issue with this Charlie? Its a reference to the Simpsons boxset..... 'Doh!' is one of Homers(A guy in the Simpsons) catchphrases when things go wrong. Not trolling, not offending anyone just a joke.

I hope jokes are still allowed on the forum

Apologies, didn't get the joke at the time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

Sent a putter over to US for repair/upgrade earlier in the year. The postage for a start was a killer, EUR30 out, similar coming back. Then I had a set of e-mail tennis with a FedEx person for days, trying to charge me duty of around EUR60 on the club. They wanted proof that I'd bought it here first and it wasn't a new club coming back.

The putter was a 15 year old Scotty bought off adverts. Ended up producing a receipt for a TM wedge I bought last year which sufficed. Ridiculous. I'll be steering clear of any such dealings with US in future, just a giant hassle.

theduffer wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Slightly off topic, I have a relation coming home from the USA soon, would this site be one of the best to order clubs off and for my relation to bring them in their luggage?

I bought a brand new arai motorbike helmet in the states when i was over there a few years ago (€800 here and €250 there for the exact same thing) and I brought it home in my hand luggage as i didn't thrust them to put it in with the rest of our stuff in the cargo. Had no problems at all.

theduffer wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I was considering this too but just not sure how golf clubs would be transported, you'd have to check them into the hold surely which would be expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Was hoping the relation could stick them into a large suitcase or something!!

I was considering this too but just not sure how golf clubs would be transported, you'd have to check them into the hold surely which would be expensive?

you would have to bring a set out with you as well to imply you were on a 'golfing holiday'
    find an old bag and crappy irons of friend etc and check them in on a return 'trip'
    buy in usa and dump the old ones over there:p

Apologies, didn't get the joke at the time. :)

200?cb=20141226214635

Advertisement