Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alcoholic Drinks from yesteryear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭sully123

Old cheap lagers and ciders I used to drink as a teenager:

Bierre Blonde (or something similar from Tesco in those tiny bottles in a cardboard case)

Probably Biere D'or.
    250ml bottles. Impossible to get drunk on it somehow.

I remember there was 3 varieties of baveria.
    Baveria crown in the blue can
    Baveria 8.6
    And a green can that was around 5%

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sully123 wrote: »
    Probably Biere D'or.
    250ml bottles. Impossible to get drunk on it somehow.

I remember there was 3 varieties of baveria.
    Baveria crown in the blue can
    Baveria 8.6
    And a green can that was around 5%

Got through a lot of Dorfmeister back in the day.
    5% and £1 a can was as good as it got in the early 90s.

Green and yellow iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Stella, Grolsch, Kronenbourg and Oranjeboom are all mainstream beers in the Netherlands and have been around forever. They probably made a foray into the Irish market in the 80's/90's to expand their market share around Europe/World but didn't take off like Heineken, Carlsberg mainstream Euro lagers.

Kronenbourg or at least the 1664 version is massive in England. It would be one of the most widely stocked cans in shops along with Grolsch. 1664 would be a big one in pubs too and Grolsch would appear in any Molson Coors owned or stocked pubs but they are both English brewed versions and don't taste the same as the Kronenbourg with the red and white label from France or the flip top Grolsch bottles from NL.

You see a fair bit of Heineken but not like here and thankfully F all Bud on draught

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I knew I recognised OranjeBoom but I never drank it. One drink they never had in the town I lived in was cider. Heelmaal gek

And DON'T drink it. It's awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Some English lads I knew could get British cider in an international supermarket in the next city but as far the town itself I never saw it either in the Super De Boer or the Aldi, There was one small offie near me and when I asked about cider he didnt know what I was on about.

Yeah, they have Apple Bandits (obviously a renamed "Orchard Thieves") in Albert Heijn.....well the big ones in Amsterdam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Another one I just remembered was desperados.

Fairly popular when it launched first.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Another one I just remembered was desperados.

Fairly popular when it launched first.

Still see it on shelves.
    And from a small sample size... empty bottles dumped on bull island alas

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And DON'T drink it. It's awful stuff.

Yeah my one and only encounter wit oranjeboom was the house party the day our plc course finished in nenagh

We stocked up on it because it was on special offer in the local off licence ( he couldn’t sell it and coming up to sell by date)

Happily opened the first can around 11 am and following a full days drinkin including the obligatory tour of the pubs and then 2 nightclubs (them were the days!!) with plenty of shots and mad cocktails

went back to the house party and continued with the Oranjeboom even though it’s basically cat p1ss in a can

Some hangover the next day I can vouch for that

Just remember another one that I Havnt seen in years

Oorangeboom or something??? Dutch lager

Cheap and nasty

Edit - found it. - https://www.oranjeboom1671.com/

Vaguely remember the offie had marked down this to clear it from stock. We piled in.

House party the day we graduated from the local PLC course. Was all day on this.

Then to the pub and nightclub for the obligatory fat frogs and aftershocks!!

Woeful hangover that lasted about 3 days after.

Never again.

Oh ffs looks like I’d told the very same story earlier in the thread. Don’t mind me, I’ll let myself out....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yeah my one and only encounter wit oranjeboom was the house party the day our plc course finished in nenagh

We stocked up on it because it was on special offer in the local off licence ( he couldn’t sell it and coming up to sell by date)

Happily opened the first can around 11 am and following a full days drinkin including the obligatory tour of the pubs and then 2 nightclubs (them were the days!!) with plenty of shots and mad cocktails

went back to the house party and continued with the Oranjeboom even though it’s basically cat p1ss in a can

I have a feeling the oranjeboom wasn't the only issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Guinness Light. Anyone who was there knows...

The little syringe.

Another thing you can blame that bollix Schilachi for :D

Irish mediocrity in full blast.

Reading through this thread it really is pretty shocking what has passed for booze over the decades. Once it has alcohol in it you can literally market anything booze wise to the general public.

I also recall something called Beo? Or something like that. Massive advertising campaign. Looked like a pint glass of Elton Johns phlegm with Barry Manilow's sperm on top. Or what that Carpi Deium?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Reading through this thread it really is pretty shocking what has passed for booze over the decades. Once it has alcohol in it you can literally market anything booze wise to the general public.

If it's a flavour of the month drink it is probably awful. Aftershock, Fat Frog, Desperado, Jagerbombs, Alcopops.

Every second ejit in London wants a Negroni or Aperol Spritz now not sure if they became a thing here

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Don't think you can really blame the brand of the beer for that one tbh.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I also recall something called Beo? Or something like that. Massive advertising campaign. Looked like a pint glass of Elton Johns phlegm with Barry Manilow's sperm on top. Or what that Carpi Deium?

Breó, a weissbeir from Guinness. Was awful, didn't last long, late 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The little syringe.

That was Bottled Draught Guinness. Or heroin, depending on where you lived, round my way there was both

I also recall something called Beo? Or something like that.

Breo
    Massive advertising campaign. Looked like a pint glass of Elton Johns phlegm with Barry Manilow's sperm on top.

I wouldn't know but thanks for the expert opinion ;)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Holsten
    Miller lite
    Fosters
    Tennents

Sold as Miller pilsner rather than lite. Actually a nice lager.

Are you thinking of stiegl? It is massive in Austria, often drank it over there. It’s ok, inoffensive lager

Steiger was mid 80s and had an unusually tall tap like a steel quarter circle. IIRC after a month it was connected to Harp or Carlsberg in the pub I worked in as despite being 10p cheaper, no one drank it. Most bottled beer (Guinness, smith wicks, macardles and various lagers) were sold off the shelf then, very few refrigerated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Pints of Caffreys and Kilkenny back in the 90s. If off the Guinness for the summer. Caffreys did ok in the UK and the North

L1011 wrote: »
    Bottled in Guinness-branded (embossed harp) pint bottles at one stage in my drinking lifetime (albeit very, very early in it).

Carlsberg Export had a few goes as being a "premium" lager here actually, silver cans, 5%, presumably the same product as is sold as just Carlsberg/Hof in Denmark.

Mid 80s, a common glass bottle was used for all Guinness brewed/bottled products. They were sent back for washing and relabelling along with refilling. You could mix and match the bottles as long as you didn’t include any Stag bottles which had to be crated separately as they had a more intense process to remove the gold foil before reusing. I find it funny that all bottles are sent off for recycling rather than reusing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

magick wrote: »
    I remember Hoffmans, in fact, there's still a sign for it near Reginals tower, never tried it but from what i heard it wasnt good

I'd forgotten Hoffmans until I stayed in the Tower Hotel last Sep and saw that sign from bedroom window.

Yes. Had impressive TV ads as I recall, but never drank it, bit before my time (drinking wise).

The ad was an electrician in Las Vagas afair. I drank it but can't remember much about it, would have been late 70's or very early 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

Anyone remember Behans lager.
    It was brewed in the Smithfield area in Dublin as far as I recall and was around for a short while around the late nineties or early noughties I think. It was on draught in a good few pubs around the city and sold in all the supermarkets etc.
    I liked it but that was hardly a recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Babycham.

I remember my grandmother drinking a Snowball, can’t remember exactly what they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

I remember my grandmother drinking a Snowball, can’t remember exactly what they were.

Advocaat & white lemonade as far as I remember, disgusting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 45 eddie r

I loved hudson blue in my youth 16 in the late 90s id still buy it now if possible but unfortunately it was discontinued around 2004

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 eddie r

Unfortunately theres no cheap any drink anymore thanks to the ultimate nanny state ireland doubling the price of all alcohol overnight good times gone forever

Advertisement