Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

11 Years Olds Driving Farm Machinery on Country Roads

• 08-05-2015 2:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

It is coming to that time of year for tourists to boycott rural Ireland so they are not slaughtered by an 11 year old driving his father's giant blue tractor, as his foot can barely touch the brake pedal.

I see it every year in the West, and the Garda and IFA do nothing to stop it other than obligatory 'public service' notices. I would urge tourist to especially boycott the 'kill zone' in and around the Wild Atlantic Way.

Every year, we hear stories of children killed operating their father's farm machinery. There are two responses; "ah shure, me father let me drive his tractor at 11!" Tractors today are giant industrial and powerful fast machines and not the quaint Richie Cunningham MF rattler of the old days. Today's rural roads are also much busier.

The other response is ... NOTHING.

The child is buried in his small white coffin. Mention is made in the papers of the father once playing Junior GAA for Mayo, TDs attend the fueral looking for votes, and some priest mentions something or other about it being 'God's will'...

No it wasn't it was the father's homicidal negligence.

Only a matter of time before a dozen tourists are killed by a farmer's child driving a tractor on country lanes for 'God's will'.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I guess your from the eastern version of the wild atlantic way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭nc6000

+1

You shouldn't be let drive a tractor on a public road on your own until at least 12 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I'd rather be killed by a young joy-rider in a fancy car than a "blue" tractor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If they are to learn the ancient custom of using a tractor to obstruct miles of traffic, they have to start perfecting the tricky mix of surly snails-pace driving, temporary hearing loss and staring nonchalantly into the distance, at an early age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

could be worse... they could be on the phone aswell

• Advertisement

Ah yes, I remember hanging around my neighbours farms as a youngster and being permanently afraid of those requests to back the f****** buck rake up the pit or something that made no sense to me, and the guffaws when I admitted I couldn't drive.

A classmate was killed when he fell from a tractor cab when we were about 6 and the back wheel went over him, so wince when I see kids hanging out of machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

They let 16 year olds drive the ****ing things and you know at least 20% think they can drift the ****er through the local village. Still though, great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

I had no idea this was a thing. Are people really killed regularly by children driving tractors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    I had no idea this was a thing. Are people really killed regularly by children driving tractors?

Only in the dreaded kill zone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

LDN_Irish wrote: »

Not really, but it's a slow 'outrage' week.

Sure tis better than the 'hand out the window culprits' thread we had yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

anncoates wrote: »
    If they are to learn the ancient custom of using a tractor to obstruct miles of traffic, they have to start perfecting the tricky mix of surly snails-pace driving, temporary hearing loss and staring nonchalantly into the distance, at an early age.

Did you not read the OP? Modern tractors are faaaaaaaast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Whoever lets their kids do this is an idiot.

Everybody with a bit of sense knows to put your peaked cap on your youngfella so the nosy think they own the road cityfolk think he's just a wizened old man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I was driving behind what must surely have been a magic tractor one day.

It was going along slowly in front of me, next thing I know it turned into a field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    I would urge tourist to especially boycott the 'kill zone' in and around the Wild Atlantic Way.
    in and around the Wild Atlantic Way.... so the entire west or 1/3rd of the country is a kill zone?
    Jesus Dublins gangland problem must have been solved when they killed off Nidge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Kill zone? Seriously?

Can we have stats on RTA's with underage persons driving tractors on public roads or is this just an anti-rural rant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Well as long as they're not drink driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

OP you first need to find something for the tourists to see in Longford, Laois etc. before this boycott idea is going to take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

While they drink cans of cheap booze and snort the white stuff off the mud guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

If George Miller decides to make a fifth Mad Max, the thread title should be the plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Free Hat

In my opinion you should be allowed to drive once you leave school and they leave school around 3.30 on their tractors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

endacl wrote: »
    Did you not read the OP? Modern tractors are faaaaaaaast!
    Majority of newer tractors are capable of 40kph.

Better put in speed bumps all across the whest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I was driving behind what must surely have been a magic tractor one day.

It was going along slowly in front of me, next thing I know it turned into a field.

I used to collect pictures and small model tractors..... hundreds of them, every make and model.but not any more.

Now I can go into a smokey room and take one deep breath and clear the air completely.

I'm an ex-tractor fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Lads, yis are killing us with them jokes.

And not in a good way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Majority of newer tractors are capable of 40kph.

Better put in speed bumps all across the whest...
    They have inverted speed bumps all across the wesht - and then people from the east coast claim that they are potholes, and should be filled in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

In the auld days they were driven unlit in the dark with a load of hay on big spikes behind the tractor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It is coming to that time of year for tourists to boycott rural Ireland so they are not slaughtered by an 11 year old driving his father's giant blue tractor, as his foot can barely touch the brake pedal.

I see it every year in the West, and the Garda and IFA do nothing to stop it other than obligatory 'public service' notices. I would urge tourist to especially boycott the 'kill zone' in and around the Wild Atlantic Way.

Every year, we hear stories of children killed operating their father's farm machinery. There are two responses; "ah shure, me father let me drive his tractor at 11!" Tractors today are giant industrial and powerful fast machines and not the quaint Richie Cunningham MF rattler of the old days. Today's rural roads are also much busier.

The child is buried in his small white coffin. Mention is made in the papers of the father once playing Junior GAA for Mayo, TDs attend the fueral looking for votes, and some priest mentions something or other about it being 'God's will'...

Only a matter of time before a dozen tourists are killed by a farmer's child driving a tractor on country lanes for 'God's will'.

What movie was this again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

There's so much technology in todays modern tractors that 11 year old are probably the only ones who can figure out how to operate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's so much technology in todays modern tractors that 11 year old are probably the only ones who can figure out how to operate them.

Yeah, hopped onto a modern tractor lately...fcuking Starship Enterprise compared to the 1950's era clunkers I was used to...didn't even know how to start it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

It's their culture

Racist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I've never seen 11 year olds driving tractors on the road, yes accidents happen on farms with kids on tractors but driving on the road at 11, that's just not happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

They have inverted speed bumps all across the wesht - and then people from the east coast claim that they are potholes, and should be filled in.

Fekkin' townies should stay inside the pale where the 11yos joyride in BMWs and Audis which are much safer, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Fekkin' townies should stay inside the pale where the 11yos joyride in BMWs and Audis which are much safer, obviously.

Of course they're much safer. They have seatbelts in them :P!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'd rather be killed by a young joy-rider in a fancy car than a "blue" tractor...

Why? There's something more quaint and exotic about death by tractor, there's nothing remotely hipster about getting hit by cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

The OP is quite ridiculous tbh. Total exaggeration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Today's modern tractors are far more safer than they were when they were "the quaint Richie Cunningham MF rattler"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Do we? I've never heard of any such thing happening on the news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Do we? I've never heard of any such thing happening on the news

Being honest....last year was one of the worst for farm deaths in a long long while....I'm surprised if the hsa don't clamp down a lot on this tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've seen less buttons and joysticks in airplane simulators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Load her up and drive er on ta fcuk I think is how you get the keys for the first time round here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

Every year, we hear stories of children killed operating their father's farm machinery.
    Fairly sensationalist there tbf. I can't think of a single fatality that was caused by the child operating machinery themselves.
    It is coming to that time of year for tourists to boycott rural Ireland..... Today's rural roads are also much busier.

You've answered the problem there, leave the roads in our own capable hands out Wesht and we'll have a mighty time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Being honest....last year was one of the worst for farm deaths in a long long while....I'm surprised if the hsa don't clamp down a lot on this tbh

IF, and its a big "if", 11 year old children are driving on public roads, then it's the Garda not the HSA who need to address it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    IF, and its a big "if", 11 year old children are driving on public roads, then it's the Garda not the HSA who need to address it.

While I doubt 11 year olds are....from about 14 on is very common around here.....letting themselves in for a life of misery and regret driving tractors.....an absolute dose that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Obviously this is highly ignorant. It's fine fodder for humor clearly. 16 yrs is the required age for the correct license. They are children they are uninsured and without a license. What type of parent does that? If they have an accident they are totally uninsured. What if they hurt someone or destroy property who is going to pay? If this is not so bad why does anyone get a license or insurance to drive a tractor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

What a load of horse sh1t. Sounds more like a sketch from Podge and Rodge's A Scare at Bedtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

"hah, they'll be fair fúckin sicka drivin 'em when they have 20 year up at it, little bastards" is a frequent refrain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

The Massey is classy but the Zetor is better.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Advertisement