Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elton John & David Furnish verus dolce and gabbana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I'm with Dolce & Gabbana on same-sex families. I'm with Elton on same sex-marriage. I'm against the term "synthetic".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He kind of ruined his point when he was spotted with a d&g shopping bag a couple of days later

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11481149/Sir-Elton-John-pictured-with-Dolce-and-Gabbana-bag-after-calling-for-boycott.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

If they are happy its none of our business, life your own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Shandashey

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    If they are happy its none of our business, life your own life.

Sage advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,684 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Shandashey wrote: »
    Have any of you been following the Elton John & David Furnish verus Dolce & Gabbana furore?

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/mar/15/elton-john-boycott-dolce-gabbana-synthetic-ivf-babies-comment

What are your thoughts?

I personally am firmly in the Elton John & David Furnish camp. They are proud parents to two little boys, who will have the most wonderful life, and will be afforded the best opportunities in life from having two loving parents. Sex of either parents irrelevant.

They're a pair of celebrity drama queens whose children are only fashion accessories to them.

I couldn't possibly speculate on the kind of life those children will have apart from the fact that the children of celebrities really don't have the "wonderful life" at all, and "best opportunities" is at least a subjective standard. They'll have opportunities, but they'll have to learn to cope with a great many more pressures upon them than children whose parents are not celebrities.

They're a pair of celebrity drama queens whose children are only fashion accessories to them.

I couldn't possibly speculate on the kind of life those children will have apart from the fact that the children of celebrities really don't have the "wonderful life" at all, and "best opportunities" is at least a subjective standard. They'll have opportunities, but they'll have to learn to cope with a great many more pressures upon them than children whose parents are not celebrities.

Really? Did Elton dump you or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would suit Elton better if he spoke to his 90yr old mum, so that she doesn't have to hire an impressionist

http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/20/elton-johns-mum-hires-lookalike-of-her-estranged-son-for-90th-birthday-party-5112936/

NIMAN wrote: »
    Would suit Elton better if he spoke to his 90yr old mum, so that she doesn't have to hire an impressionist

http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/20/elton-johns-mum-hires-lookalike-of-her-estranged-son-for-90th-birthday-party-5112936/

She called his husband "that thing"

If someone referred to my husband as "that thing" I would probably have a problem with them too. He still supports her financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I couldn't give a toss what she called him. Its his mother, blood and water and all.
    She is 90 ffs, she is from a different era with different mindset.

Time Elton caught himself on.

• Advertisement

Really? Did Elton dump you or something?

No? I simply don't hold celebrities in high esteem when they use children as fashion accessories, therefore I don't see Elton John and David Furnish as any kind of role models for parents. They are, like I said, a pair of drama queens, playing their personal lives out on social media and in the spotlight. I'd say the same of Michael Jackson or the Kardashians btw or anyone else I considered was an unfit role model for their children.

My only concern here would be the children being mixed up in all that crap, I couldn't care less about the parents in this case or their latest celebrity dramas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

She hired an impressionist of her son and then made sure everyone knew about it and how hard done by she is. Can certainly see where Elton gets his drama queen tendencies from :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dont be afraid to use your nails, boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

D&G are perfectly entitled to their opinion though

I wouldn't go boycotting them over it

( I have never bought anything there in the first place though)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Any objections to them making there own child with both their genes, http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/babies-same-sex-couples-now-possible-following-stem-cell-breakthrough-1489081 they have the money and science is catching up with them. Even the most liberal here must question the consequences when we play with the gene pool like that.

No? I simply don't hold celebrities in high esteem when they use children as fashion accessories, therefore I don't see Elton John and David Furnish as any kind of role models for parents. They are, like I said, a pair of drama queens, playing their personal lives out on social media and in the spotlight. I'd say the same of Michael Jackson or the Kardashians btw or anyone else I considered was an unfit role model for their children.

My only concern here would be the children being mixed up in all that crap, I couldn't care less about the parents in this case or their latest celebrity dramas.

Why have you decided these children are fashion accessories?

I couldn't give a toss what she called him. Its his mother, blood and water and all.
    She is 90 ffs, she is from a different era with different mindset.

Time Elton caught himself on.

He still supports her financially. She insulted his partner. I do believe both sides are probably at fault however. Just because she is 90, does not give her a free pass in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

He still supports her financially. She insulted his partner. I do believe both sides are probably at fault however. Just because she is 90, does not give her a free pass in my opinion.

Gets her a bus pass though..

also I am boycotting D&G on financial grounds...I can't afford it..

Why have you decided these children are fashion accessories?

I haven't decided that these children are fashion accessories. I said that celebrities (in this case a pair of over the hill drama queens) treat these children like fashion accessories. They don't do the perception of same-sex marriage, nor parenting, any favours IMO.

I would have suggested they get a dog they can carry in a purse, but that would be considered animal cruelty, so last century anyway, wouldn't leave a teddy bear in their care tbh.

I haven't decided that these children are fashion accessories. I said that celebrities (in this case a pair of over the hill drama queens) treat these children like fashion accessories. They don't do the perception of same-sex marriage, nor parenting, any favours IMO.

I would have suggested they get a dog they can carry in a purse, but that would be considered animal cruelty, so last century anyway, wouldn't leave a teddy bear in their care tbh.

Wow. What has happened to you in your life to make assumptions like that.

• Advertisement

Wow. What has happened to you in your life to make assumptions like that.

Nothing, honestly :D

No seriously though, I just find the behaviour of their parents embarrassing carry on for grown adults who are supposed to be role models for their children. I would have said the same had it been any other celebrity couple in their position who behave the way they do.

They're like thrush really, very irritating the way they go on, and their children have to witness their behaviour and are exposed to that environment and that attitude. There are many celebrities who are parents who don't expose their children to the same level of drama that these two do.

Nothing, honestly :D

No seriously though, I just find the behaviour of their parents embarrassing carry on for grown adults who are supposed to be role models for their children. I would have said the same had it been any other celebrity couple in their position who behave the way they do.

They're like thrush really, very irritating the way they go on, and their children have to witness their behaviour and are exposed to that environment and that attitude. There are many celebrities who are parents who don't expose their children to the same level of drama that these two do.

I'm sorry. How do you know what environment and attitude those two boys are exposed to? Are you helping raise them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

That's pretty harsh and judgemental. What are you basing the 'treated like fashion accessories' on? The fact they appear in the media? When you are chased about by paparazzi every time you leave your house, the only solution would be for the children not to ever leave the house. Hardly ideal either. They can't win. Yes they have chosen careers where they are in the limelight and those are the consequences, but to say that the children of all celebrities, or the children of a particular celebrity couple whose private life you know nothing about, are treated as fashion accessories is unfair in my opinion.

As for D&G, of course they are entitled to their opinions. And if they want to tie their political opinions in with their business, then they better be prepared for the potential consequences of lost business of those who are opposed to their opinions. If they express political opinions that are very offensive and unpalatable to large numbers of people, it is highly likely that they will suffer financial loss because of it. They are asute businessmen and I am certain they were aware of the consequences of such comments prior to making them.

I'm sorry. How do you know what environment and attitude those two boys are exposed to? Are you helping raise them?

Are you? From your opening post you seem to be very familiar with the environment and attitude these children are exposed to -

They are proud parents to two little boys, who will have the most wonderful life, and will be afforded the best opportunities in life from having two loving parents. Sex of either parents irrelevant.

I suppose that's where our perspective differs.

Are you? From your opening post you seem to be very familiar with the environment and attitude these children are exposed to -

I suppose that's where our perspective differs.

I certainly would not judge any parent on the way they raise their kids. Perspective does not come into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I don't Think I would be taking any parenting tips from 2 men with a combined age of 120 years old on the raising of a 5 and 2 year old,I know everyone is supposed to be really groovy and supercool about 2 gay dads,but ffs a 68 and 52 year old men looking after kids? That really isn't putting the kids first is it?

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    That's pretty harsh and judgemental. What are you basing the 'treated like fashion accessories' on? The fact they appear in the media? When you are chased about by paparazzi every time you leave your house, the only solution would be for the children not to ever leave the house. Hardly ideal either. They can't win. Yes they have chosen careers where they are in the limelight and those are the consequences, but to say that the children of all celebrities, or the children of a particular celebrity couple whose private life you know nothing about, are treated as fashion accessories is unfair in my opinion.

They post every minute of their private and personal lives on social media though? The paps don't have to chase them any more when they can just look up instagram, twitter, etc.

I know all too well it's very judgemental, but that's simply my opinion based on what I've seen of the parents behaviour. I couldn't care less about their gender or their sexuality, I would judge any other celebrity parents the same way if they behaved like these two and I gave examples earlier, but we weren't talking about those parents.

If their gender or their sexuality actually is irrelevant, then be clear that it's irrelevant and don't allow it to make prejudiced assumptions that they're the "nuclear family 2.0". They're simply terrible parents IMO, and while they of course are entitled to a family like anyone else, they should not be immune from criticism of their celebrity lifestyle that they are exposing their children to. Like I said, there are many other celebrity parents have children and you never hear a word about it.

As for D&G, of course they are entitled to their opinions. And if they want to tie their political opinions in with their business, then they better be prepared for the potential consequences of lost business of those who are opposed to their opinions. If they express political opinions that are very offensive and unpalatable to large numbers of people, it is highly likely that they will suffer financial loss because of it. They are asute businessmen and I am certain they were aware of the consequences of such comments prior to making them.

Care less about D&G tbh, if it wasn't them, it'd merely be someone else upsetting the divas and they'd be all over another social media storm and their children would still be exposed to it. Honestly, for their age, you'd imagine the pair of them would just grow the hell up.

crockholm wrote: »
    I don't Think I would be taking any parenting tips from 2 men with a combined age of 120 years old on the raising of a 5 and 2 year old,I know everyone is supposed to be really groovy and supercool about 2 gay dads,but ffs a 68 and 52 year old men looking after kids? That really isn't putting the kids first is it?

Would you have preferred these boys to be born into lone parent families, on the lone parent allowance, struggling to get by? Or to a heroin addict? Alcoholic parents? Abusive situations? Kids every day are brought into this world in horrible situations. These kids were wanted, and are very much loved. They'll be a lot better off than countless other children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Would you have preferred these boys to be born into lone parent families, on the lone parent allowance, struggling to get by? Or to a heroin addict? Alcoholic parents? Abusive situations? Kids every day are brought into this world in horrible situations. These kids were wanted, and are very much loved. They'll be a lot better off than countless other children.

I love the way the the only choices are adopted by gay pensioners or heroin addicts,there is just no possibility of some semblance of normality.

Plus,given that the kids were born via a surrogate,does that not make your arguement null and void.

• Advertisement

crockholm wrote: »
    I love the way the the only choices are adopted by gay pensioners or heroin addicts,there is just no possibility of some semblance of normality.

Plus,given that the kids were born via a surrogate,does that not make your arguement null and void.

Please tell me what your semblance of normality is

Advertisement