Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"I believe that this nation.........."

• 25-05-2011 8:00am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

50 Years ago today

"I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a Man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth"

A speech that changed the world!:)
    Tagged:

Comments

Great speech and all but space hasn't changed much yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

I have always hoped to see man walk on another planet during my lifetime, I'm in my mid 30's now, and it's no closer to happening. Would just be happy to see life confirmed on other planets or moons etc, albeit microbial or whatever.

Space exploration is just so slow and the costs are way too high.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

djhaxman wrote: »
    I have always hoped to see man walk on another planet during my lifetime, I'm in my mid 30's now, and it's no closer to happening. Would just be happy to see life confirmed on other planets or moons etc, albeit microbial or whatever.

Space exploration is just so slow and the costs are way too high.
    I also hope to see humans on another planet in my lifetime. I was only 2 for Apollo 11 and 5 by Apollo 17 so have no memory of that magical time:(
    Fingers still crossed to see a return to the Moon or landing on Mars:)
    Confirming life beyond the Earth? I think it is only a matter of time. In fact I think we will have confirmation sooner that many think.
    Space exploration is slow because it is expensive. Reduce the costs and it will take off {Excuse the pun:)}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm usually the pessimist about future of manned spaceflight and tbh i don't feel any more optimistic lately. I don't see man landing on another planet for the rest of my years on this one. Best i can hope for is the Chinese or India make a run to the Moon in the future. As much as i'd love to see man go to Mars i just don't see it any time soon.

I do think we'll confirm life in some form outside our planet in the future though. I think it's only a matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I watched them land on the moon and walk around and knew that by the time I was 50 mankind would fill the solar system and be looking to go further.

Ha, what did I know after all. I am closer to 60 than 50 now and we still have not gone anywhere. It is so much a great disappointment. I seriously doubt I will be alive when (if) we even get to Mars let alone anywhere else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement