Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

God created the world, but is now dead ?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Satts wrote: »
    The random happenings out of chaos that made way for a planet to exsist and evolve to be able to initiate and sustain life and produce man who is able to exsist and ask the question "How was the universe formed ?"
    If this is your definition then I say yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Interesting. Could something always exsist ? Would there not have to be a start point ?

But that's the thing man. Would a deity have to have always existed? Would it not have to have had a start point? If it did have to have a start point, what made it start? Was there another deity before it that started it? Could that one have always existed or would it have to have had a start point too? If it did have to have a start point, what made it start? Was there another deity before it that started it? Could that one have always existed or would it have to have had a start point too? If it did have to have a start point, what made it start? Was there another deity before it that started it? Could that one have always existed or would it have to have had a start point too? If it did have to have a start point, what made it start? Was there another deity before it that started it? Could that one have always existed or would it have to have had a start point too? If it did have to have a start point, what made it start? Was there another deity before it that started it? Could that one have always existed or would it have to have had a start point too? If it did have to have a start point, what made it start? Was there another deity before it that started it? Could that one have always existed or would it have to have had a start point too? If it did have to have a start point, what made it start? Was there another deity before it that started it? Could that one have always existed or would it have to have had a start point too? If it did have to have a start point, what made it start? Was there another deity before it that started it? Could that one have always existed or would it have to have had a start point too?

If it didn't have to have had a start point and had always existed then that kind of voids the idea that it would cease to exist as it would mean it exists outside of time. If there is no time, then things are eternal, they do not change as change is impossible without the passage of time (as far as we know, I guess) and death is a very big change.

But I guess you could go back to the "work related accident" concept that Dave mentioned. Maybe this eternal being got sucked into the universe upon it's creation and was then subject to time and change. Or maybe space-time leaked through a wormhole or vortex of sorts somewhere in the universe and polluted the deities eternal plane of existence. Maybe there were millions of them running around and this mad scientist creator's experiment lead to the extinction of his race of entities.......... Or maybe one of them survived. A lone child of the eternal non-time Z dimension. Who sacrificed his immortal existence to come forth to our universe in the hope of finding a way to reverse the cataclysmic experiment.

A being who now exists as what we have come to know as 'dark matter'. Who for almost 14 billion years has been clinging to the very fabric of the universe, trying to use it's own gravity to reverse the ever accelerating expansion of time and space, so that it could maybe restore it's people and their devastated home. But unfamiliar with the physical laws of our dimension is doomed to watch in despair as the harder it clings on, the greater the opposing force of dark energy, also seeped through from it's plane of existence, pushes the universe apart. So that slowly as the child from the Z dimension weakens, the universe hurtles faster and faster outwards until eventually, even he himself, will be torn apart and flung out in a trillion different directions, into a cold and lonely and dark space-time. The poor fukker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

bluewolf wrote: »
    Who stole the cookies from the cookie jar??

I DON'T KNOW SO IT MUST BE GOD

I don't understand how it came about.
    Thats why I'm going on this journey. That's why I put it off for so long, because I know I will end up with more questions than answers.
    I don't understand why so many random happenings came about so as to eventually produce a planet that supports lifeforms and that one of these lifeforms progresses to be able question how it all came about.
    What was there before it all came about ?
    Nothing ? A darkness ? How did this darkness come about ?

Have you ever tried just saying "I don't know" and leaving it there? For most things that's not a great attitude, but when it comes to the fundamental nature and origin of existence, no one knows. We may never know. The questions you are asking don't have answers yet. Anywhere on this planet, not one human being anywhere knows the answer. You can, like most people, make up something that is more satisfying than admitting you don't know, or you can, like we few, admit your limitations and start looking down on the silly people.

It's quite a nice feeling I assure you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

May be in the wrestling match that is going on in my head at the moment,
    it is easier to believe there was a God and he died than to believe there never was a God.

I think this is the root of this thread.

You have trouble imagining the universe coming into being, and fall back on a some what non-answer that a super powerful thing did it.

This is easier not because it actually explains what happened (imagining what this super powerful being would have actually done is no easier than imagining all the funky quantum mechanics necessary without a deity), it simply explains it in terms we find mentally pleasing.

We find it much easier to imagine that being X did thing Y, than to imagine that natural process A did thing B, even if we have no clue what Y and B actually are.

This is why you commonly get theists saying that M-theory is too complicated and the universe makes much more sense if we imagine God made it. Notice that this doesn't explain how God made it. That explanation seems unnecessary. The theists don't care what God actually did, it is simply mentally pleasing that he did something.

This comes back to how our brains evolved to process information about the natural world around us. We like, from a position of least mental resistance, to imagine the world around us in terms of human interactions. This is probably because our brains have developed to mainly process human interactions and this spills over into how we process the natural world simply because it saves us having to have a seperate set of brain functions to proccess these other bits. This is "good enough" for us when we are living in caves and trying to survive being eaten by lions, which has been most of our existence as a species.

It means we don't really care about explanations once we have got to the thing X did thing Y for this human like reason.

You have trouble imagining the universe without a creator not because the universe requires a creator but because you have trouble imagining the universe without a creator, ie it is an issue with your brain, not the universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭cytex

You have trouble imagining the universe without a creator not because the universe requires a creator but because you have trouble imagining the universe without a creator, ie it is an issue with your brain, not the universe.
    The way i would see this is ..

Imagine a clockwork pocket watch how would you say it was created .

A. A big bang it has no creator just got made by acident.
    B. somebody made it .
    c. I dont know .

Now if you were being honest you would say B (im gonna assume you said B)

Now apply the same logic to the human eye, the human brain A daisy or any of the other biological technical wonders on earth or indeed the universe .

A. A big bang it has no creator just got made by acident.
    B. somebody made it .
    C. I dont know .

whats your answer ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

cytex wrote: »
    whats your answer ?
    That you have no idea of how evolution and natural selection actually work, therefore dismiss them as ridiculous in favour of your own personal deity?

Start with a read of this if you really have an interest in making a valid analysis.

Dades wrote: »
    That you have no idea of how evolution and natural selection actually work, therefore dismiss them as ridiculous in favour of your own personal deity?

Start with a read of this if you really have an interest in making a valid analysis.

First off you have no idea what I believe And Congrats on making that absurd leap about me and missing my point entirely.
    For the record I fully Believe in evolution and natural selection .......

But this still does not rule out a creator as I said if we cant believe something as simple as a pocket watch can come out of thin air by accident. How can you completly rule out that there is not some creator when the simplest single cell life form is way more complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

But this still does not rule out a creator as I said if we cant believe something as simple as a pocket watch can come out of thin air by accident. How can you completly rule out that there is not some creator when the simplest single cell life form is way more complex.

I agree, if we visited a barren planet and found a watch alone then you'd most likely be right. However if we visited a world were watches reproduced, and we could see countless billions of nearly working watches running around and breeding, if we then find one that is 'working' you'd be on much thinner ice to point to it and say "Oohh look at that one that God made!"

• Advertisement

How can you completly rule out that there is not some creator when the simplest single cell life form is way more complex.

Those two sentences are some what contradictory.

Evolution by natural selection produces something as complex as a cell (or even a multicelluar organism) without "some creator". So it seems perfectly reasonable if you have something that can evolved (ie self replicating with an selective environment) you will get something far more complex than something that is made, such as a pocket watch.

It isn't then a question of ruling out a designer (there is no known designer that could design a cell, let alone something like the human brain), rather ruling in evolution, since evolution has produced things that couldn't possibly be designed by any known designer.

pH wrote: »
    I agree, if we visited a barren planet and found a watch alone then you'd most likely be right. However if we visited a world were watches reproduced, and we could see countless billions of nearly working watches running around and breeding, if we then find one that is 'working' you'd be on much thinner ice to point to it and say "Oohh look at that one that God made!"

And who made all of the half finished ones where did it all start .

I dont believe life was created by chance something had to set it in motion whether this something is still around or not I have no idea.
    Life is just to complex to have come by chance in my mind and if anybody has proof to the contrary i will gladly except it and alter my view .

Evolution explains our journey not the first step .

And who made all of the half finished ones where did it all start .

I dont believe life was created by chance something had to set it in motion whether this something is still around or not I have no idea.
    Life is just to complex to have come by chance in my mind and if anybody has proof to the contrary i will gladly except it and alter my view .

Evolution explains our journey not the first step .

Evolution explains our complexity, the first proto-life was probably very simple compared to the brain or even a cell or even a protein.

So saying that you except evolution but think that life is too complex to have come about by chance are (again) two contradictory statements. Before evolution got hold of us we weren't complex, we were simple self-replicating molecules.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Evolution explains our complexity, the first proto-life was probably very simple compared to the brain or even a cell or even a protein.

So saying that you except evolution but think that life is too complex to have come about by chance are (again) two contradictory statements. Before evolution got hold of us we weren't complex, we were simple self-replicating molecules.

Nope I dont see it as contradictory Maybe im not explaining it well but you seem to get what I am saying. But i will try again .

Life can be a single cell organism what we most likely started out as way back when . we evolved into where we are today . This i accept no question as it can be shown and has a lot of evidence supporting this .

What i dont accept is that this single cell organism (molecule whatever we started out with ) , this planet , This universe and all things in it happened by chance this to me just seems really unlikley about as likley as a pocket watch being made with a bang .

Its this that i belive was created simple because I see it as the most plausible way of us coming into being.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

First off you have no idea what I believe And Congrats on making that absurd leap about me and missing my point entirely.
    Apologies. :o

I'm obviously too jaded with random theist drive-bys that make posts similar sounding to yours - but without actually having a clue about what they're purporting.

What i dont accept is that this single cell organism (molecule whatever we started out with ) , this planet , This universe and all things in it happened by chance this to me just seems really unlikley about as likley as a pocket watch being made with a bang .

Ok, well firstly a self replicating molecule is not unlikely at all, you can produce them in a lab if you just dump some chemicals together, chemicals we know were present on the early Earth. You will get self replicating molecules, so it isn't a question of if.

It takes something like 400 million years of evolution to go from these self replicating molecules to the first cells, so cells are not random chance either, they evolved like everything else. They are very complex compared to other chemical structures, so I would understand someone being skeptical that they just randomly formed, but that is exactly what evolution explains, they didn't randomly form they evolved.

While it is rather unlikely that this particular planet had the right conditions to to form theses initial self replicating molecules, given that there are 100 billion stars in this galaxy alone, and there are billions upon billions of galaxies, the odds that one planet in the universe would have these right configurations for life are very likely, so likely in fact that you would be more surprised if life never appeared on a planet in the universe. It just happened to be this planet, but it could have been any of the trillions upon trillions of planets that exist.

As for the universe itself, well I'm always curious when people say it is unlikely considering it is the only one we know and as such we have no idea how likely or unlikely this universe is. It could be a 1 in a billion shot or it could be an inevitability. We won't know until we understand how it came about.
    Its this that i belive was created simple because I see it as the most plausible way of us coming into being.

Given that you don't have a creator to demonstrate this, nor do you have any idea if such a creator does exist, I fail to see how this is plausible?

If the creator required to produce these first initial proto-life doesn't exist then it isn't plausible at all, it is completely implausible to suggest that they were created.

On the other hand we know they can form naturally, so whether they did or not the idea that they could is entirely plausible.

So on the one hand we have a plausible theory that can explain it (again irrespective of whether or not it is the correct explanation), and on the other hand we have a theory that we have no idea if it can or cannot explain it, that requires unknown variables, such as the existence of a creator capable of doing this, in order to say it is plausible.

I think you can tell which I think is or isn't the most plausible way of explaining how we can into being.

• Advertisement

Ok, well firstly a self replicating molecule is not unlikely at all, you can produce them in a lab if you just dump some chemicals together, chemicals we know were present on the early Earth. You will get self replicating molecules, so it isn't a question of if.

And who is to say that this isn't how the ball got rolling :)
    It takes something like 400 million years of evolution to go from these self replicating molecules to the first cells, so cells are not random chance either, they evolved like everything else. They are very complex compared to other chemical structures, so I would understand someone being skeptical that they just randomly formed, but that is exactly what evolution explains, they didn't randomly form they evolved.

And what would be the catalyst for these to evolve you need competition. To evolve you need something killing off the weaker cells . What was it. It wasn't lack of food or Resources as they were in abundent supply back then. Maybe something kick started the whole thing we Don't know . What we do know is evolution doesn't just happen it needs something killing off the weaker species.

While it is rather unlikely that this particular planet had the right conditions to to form theses initial self replicating molecules, given that there are 100 billion stars in this galaxy alone, and there are billions upon billions of galaxies, the odds that one planet in the universe would have these right configurations for life are very likely, so likely in fact that you would be more surprised if life never appeared on a planet in the universe. It just happened to be this planet, but it could have been any of the trillions upon trillions of planets that exist.

As for the universe itself, well I'm always curious when people say it is unlikely considering it is the only one we know and as such we have no idea how likely or unlikely this universe is. It could be a 1 in a billion shot or it could be an inevitability. We won't know until we understand how it came about.

Exactly I think it is much more plausible that it was created think about it we have a self contained universe that is expanding . Everything we need to live is here. I think personally that it much more likely to have been created than just happen .
    You think it much more likely that it was created by chance than by a creator . Both theorys are likely until one is proven false .

Given that you don't have a creator to demonstrate this, nor do you have any idea if such a creator does exist, I fail to see how this is plausible?
    We also now that they can be formed by human hand . (does that make us a creator given a few million years )

If the creator required to produce these first initial proto-life doesn't exist then it isn't plausible at all, it is completely implausible to suggest that they were created.

On the other hand we know they can form naturally, so whether they did or not the idea that they could is entirely plausible.

we also know they can be formed by intervention .
    So what put this big chemistry set that is the universe here in the first place.
    A big Bang is one theory gasses that exploded and created the universe. What set that off ???

So on the one hand we have a plausible theory that can explain it (again irrespective of whether or not it is the correct explanation), and on the other hand we have a theory that we have no idea if it can or cannot explain it, that requires unknown variables, such as the existence of a creator capable of doing this, in order to say it is plausible.

I think you can tell which I think is or isn't the most plausible way of explaining how we can into being.
    But the creator does explain it . We are going down this path ourselves and if we don't blow ourselves up or go exctinct in the mean time i fully believe that humans will complete the circle and become god ourselves of another universe.

Again to make my position clear the way i see it there are to viable theroys that I am aware of.

1. We had a creator (god who kickstarted the whole life thing) something we are starting to be able to do ourselves .
    2. Life the universe and everything just started by absoulte chance.

I hold number 1 in higher regard than number 2 , you hold number 2 in higher regard than number 1
    both are correct until one is disproved .
    Apologies.

I'm obviously too jaded with random theist drive-bys that make posts similar sounding to yours - but without actually having a clue about what they're purporting.

apology accepted. Im quite enjoying this debate :)

And who is to say that this isn't how the ball got rolling :)

Artificial creation of life is not ruled out, but equally it is not required to explain the existence of life. And as I said later in the post above, since you don't have such a creator capable of doing this, where as you do have naturally occurring events, the creator hypothesis immediately falls behind in terms of plausibility.

If such a creator doesn't exist, or was simply not present on Earth, then it is impossible that they created life on Earth. Where as we know it is not impossible that life naturally evolved.
    And what would be the catalyst for these to evolve you need competition. To evolve you need something killing off the weaker cells . What was it.

These molecules are self replicating, ie they make copies of themselves from the "raw" material around them. This material is finite, as is the energy required to causes this chemical reaction.

If a self replicating molecule cannot replicate itself it ceases to function, effectively "dying" as we would understand it for more complex versions of life.

This produces an environmental pressure, and as such produces natural selection.

While this is a very long process (like I said estimates of 400 million years to go from the start to a simple cell), computer simulations can show this process in faster than real time.
    Exactly I think it is much more plausible that it was created think about it we have a self contained universe that is expanding . Everything we need to live is here. I think personally that it much more likely to have been created than just happen .

Based on what? What are you comparing it too in order to come up with odds to say it is much more likely created than not created?
    We also now that they can be formed by human hand . (does that make us a creator given a few million years )

By definition humans weren't around 4.3 billion years ago. So you still don't have a creator.

If no human level intelligence existed at all 4.3 billion years ago then artificial creation was not only implausible, it was impossible.

To even make it go from impossible to plausible you need to introduce an alien intelligence that you have no idea even exists.

On the other hand we have a natural process that we know worked the same 4.3 billion years ago as it works now, and was available on Earth.

So again how is artificial creation a more plausible explanation?
    So what put this big chemistry set that is the universe here in the first place.
    A big Bang is one theory gasses that exploded and created the universe. What set that off ???

I've no idea, no one does, which makes it curious that you claim that a creator is more likely. What are you basing that on, what do you know that the rest of us don't?
    But the creator does explain it . We are going down this path ourselves and if we don't blow ourselves up or go exctinct in the mean time i fully believe that humans will complete the circle and become god ourselves of another universe.

That explains the creation of other universes, not ours since you have no idea if a human like intelligence already existed.

If they didn't then them creating our universe is impossible.

To get from impossible to plausible you would need to establish they do exist, and might have made our universe. You have yet to do this. Until then it is ridiculous to say that this is a more plausible explanation for life, Earth or the universe given that we have a perfectly fine natural explanation that we know was present 4.3 billion years ago that can account for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Do you think it is possible that a higher power created the world, but has since died and we are rudderless so to speak ?
    I never heard that thought before. Interesting idea.

Artificial creation of life is not ruled out, but equally it is not required to explain the existence of life. And as I said later in the post above, since you don't have such a creator capable of doing this, where as you do have naturally occurring events, the creator hypothesis immediately falls behind in terms of plausibility.

Why does the creator hypothesis fall behind in plausibility.
    No I cant produce a creator (if i could then this discussion would be over:D)
    we do not have any proof that life occurred by accident either we have a theory. ie WE can produce life based on what WE assume was lying around earth at that time . This does not prove either theory in fact it makes both possible.
    I Think it a strech to think that you and I happened by accident something set the ball rolling .
    If such a creator doesn't exist, or was simply not present on Earth, then it is impossible that they created life on Earth. Where as we know it is not impossible that life naturally evolved. .

We Know that life can be created . Now why do you think that a creator wasn't present on earth why do you think that life was not planted . Why do you think out of this molten rock when it was formed the building blocks for life just happened to be lying around.
    Now what happens if the nessecary ingrediants for life werent here can you prove they were .

You are presenting your belief that this happened this way as fact . But that is all it is your belief and holds the same as mine.

These molecules are self replicating, ie they make copies of themselves from the "raw" material around them. This material is finite, as is the energy required to causes this chemical reaction.

If a self replicating molecule cannot replicate itself it ceases to function, effectively "dying" as we would understand it for more complex versions of life.

This produces an environmental pressure, and as such produces natural selection.

While this is a very long process (like I said estimates of 400 million years to go from the start to a simple cell), computer simulations can show this process in faster than real time.

And you cant see why i dont think this is a accident .
    why is the material finite it is still here today this process is still happening . what caused the raw materials to go from being inaminate chemicals to being alive .??

Based on what? What are you comparing it too in order to come up with odds to say it is much more likely created than not created?
    Same as you to say it happened naturally than created its my belief . I Think it is much more plausible for it to have been created .

By definition humans weren't around 4.3 billion years ago. So you still don't have a creator.

If no human level intelligence existed at all 4.3 billion years ago then artificial creation was not only implausible, it was impossible.
    The universe is 15 billion years old the earth is 4.54 billion years so what happened in the ten billion years approx . Answer we dont know .
    how did the earth go from a molten piece of rock to getting the building blocks of life . Answer we don't know.
    how did this life become self aware. answer we don't know .
    what was the earth composed of when it was created we dont know .
    if the chemicals needed to create life naturally wasnt present then natural creation was not only implausible, it was impossible. (see what i did there)

we do not have any proof that life occurred by accident either we have a theory. ie WE can produce life based on what was lying around earth at that time . This does not prove either theory in fact it makes both possible.
    If such a creator doesn't exist, or was simply not present on Earth, then it is impossible that they created life on Earth. Where as we know it is not impossible that life naturally evolved. .

We Know that life can be created . Now why do you think that a creator wasn't present on earth why do you think that life was not planted . Why do you think out of this molten rock when it was formed the building blocks for life just happened to be lying around.

You are presenting your belief that this happened this way as fact . But that is all it is your belief and holds the same as mine

And what made them do this . They went from being raw material to life and needing material what kickstarted the whole evolution process ..

Same as you to say it happened naturally than created its my belief . I Think it is much more plausible for it to have been created .
    now you gonna show your maths to why it isnt . :)
    To even make it go from impossible to plausible you need to introduce an alien intelligence that you have no idea even exists.

On the other hand we have a natural process that we know worked the same 4.3 billion years ago as it works now, and was available on Earth.

So again how is artificial creation a more plausible explanation?

And how do you know it was available on earth again it is your belief .
    how do you know it wasnt planted here again belief .
    How do you know our evolution wasnt planned for some reason again your belief .
    again these are just theroys you are saying that are fact truth is no one knows for sure .

I've no idea, no one does, which makes it curious that you claim that a creator is more likely. What are you basing that on, what do you know that the rest of us don't?

That explains the creation of other universes, not ours since you have no idea if a human like intelligence already existed.

If they didn't then them creating our universe is impossible.

To get from impossible to plausible you would need to establish they do exist, and might have made our universe. You have yet to do this. Until then it is ridiculous to say that this is a more plausible explanation for life, Earth or the universe given that we have a perfectly fine natural explanation that we know was present 4.3 billion years ago that can account for life.

Again what i base my belief on is basically evolution the earth the universe it all works to well for it not to have been planed or for it to happen by chance . And to be honest ive no problem debating it but im not going to change my mind until hard evidence is produced one way or another .
    It just all seems to wonderfull not to have a intelligence behind it much like the clock example from my earlier post .

Can i ask what you base your belief on that it was all created by chance .

we do not have any proof that life occurred by accident either we have a theory. ie WE can produce life based on what WE assume was lying around earth at that time . This does not prove either theory in fact it makes both possible.

Anything is possible, it is possible a time travelling ferret created the universe. You are talking about what is more plausible.

The natural occurrence hypothesis is backed by a natural process we know does exist and could have occurred on the early Earth. That doesn't prove this is what happened, but it makes it quite plausible that this is what did happen.

The artificial occurrence hypothesis on the other hand requires the existence of an alien intelligence, which we have no idea about, and the presence of said alien intelligence on Earth at the required time, again which we have no idea about.

It might have happened, there might be an alien intelligence that could do this and it might have been on Earth within the given time scale, but given that we have absolutely no idea if either of those things hold it makes such an hypothesis far from plausible.

If neither of those things hold then it is not only not plausible it is impossible.

So to over take the plausibility of the natural occurrence hypothesis you require an alien intelligence on Earth at the right time.

You don't have that.
    I Think it a strech to think that you and I happened by accident something set the ball rolling .

Well when you figure out what that "something" was get back to me :)
    We Know that life can be created . Now why do you think that a creator wasn't present on earth why do you think that life was not planted.

Why would I think it was, you have presented no evidence it was and as far as I know none exists.

It is your idea, you need to support it. So far you don't have the alien intelligence and you don't have it on Earth. When you do then we can talk about the plausibility of it creating life. Until then there is nothing to suggesting your hypothesis could have even happened.
    Why do you think out of this molten rock when it was formed the building blocks for life just happened to be lying around.

Because that is consistent with the known chemical make up of Earth like planets. The chemicals that existed on the early Earth were not particularly unexpected or unusual.
    Now what happens if the nessecary ingrediants for life werent here can you prove they were .

We know they were, which makes the natural occurring hypothesis more plausible.

Do you know alien life with the intelligence to create life on Earth existed? Do you know that they were on Earth within the required time scale?
    And you cant see why i dont think this is a accident .
    I know exactly why you don't think this was an accident, it is because of human cognitive bias, to view complex natural processes in terms of human like agents doing things for human like reasons because it is easier for us to process.

It is a lot easier for you (and any human) to process something like a cell in terms of something made it than to try and understand the idea that it naturally evolved. This is just a fact about how our brains work.

The issue is that this has nothing to do with what actually happened. Just because you think it should be designed doesn't increase the plausibility that it was. You can see this with how your argument on plausibility starts to fall apart when we see you don't have evidence of a designer on Earth, nor do you know if such a designer even existed within the time frame required.

why is the material finite it is still here today this process is still happening . what caused the raw materials to go from being inaminate chemicals to being alive .??
    The universe is 15 billion years old the earth is 4.54 billion years so what happened in the ten billion years approx . Answer we dont know .
    We do know.

Previous to the existence of our star there were other stars that super nova-ed. This produces nebula while under the strength of gravity condensed to form our star. The heavier elements formed the planets, which is where all the chemical material need for life on Earth came from.

Because we understand this process pretty well, and understand what is produced in a star as it explodes we know what molecules are to be found on the early Earth.
    Again what i base my belief on is basically evolution the earth the universe it all works to well for it not to have been planed or for it to happen by chance .

As opposed to what exactly? Can you should me an example of a universe that, to your mind, doesn't "work well"?
    It just all seems to wonderfull not to have a intelligence behind it much like the clock example from my earlier post .

Again that is just your own cognitive bias. You think it is wonderful so you assume intelligence. Why? Because that is what the human mind tends to do. That has nothing to do with actual evidence for intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Galvasean wrote: »
    Maybe he became the universe....

Mind = Blown

:D

Nevore wrote: »
    Mind = Blown

:D

O.M.G :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Maybe he became the universe....

Maybe she became the universe....

Nah

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Why do people who don't understand evolution feel entitled to engage in long debates with people who do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If an omnipresent God had died, surely we would have noticed the smell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Zillah wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Why do people who don't understand evolution feel entitled to engage in long debates with people who do?

Because the general concept is very simple. The minutiae are not simple at all. And the far reaching scope of its power is nigh on impossible to comprehend with our limited mental faculties.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Do you think it is possible that a higher power created the world, but has since died and we are rudderless so to speak ?

This idea was expanded upon by Dilbert Comic Creator Scott Addams in a book that was released online only called Gods Debris which you can download and read here.

It is a "sophies world" philosophical style mini novel which I enjoyed the short time it took to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

No. A higher power never made the world, a higher power may have 'started' 'something' that went on to make the world.

From time to time this 'higher power' may have visited, like a child with a forgotten toy ~

We are not really rudderless, we've just listened to rudderless leaders. If a higher power made you, he made you to be free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm glad threads like this exist. They remind me just how akin to clutching at straw the notion of "something must have started it all" really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'm glad threads like this exist. They remind me just how akin to clutching at straw the notion of "something must have started it all" really is.

A couple of atoms colliding? Just a though! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

it seems implausible to me that something so complex is the result of random happenings.

You do realise that the universe is infinitely massive. The randomness that you find implausible, when put on the scale of infinity, is very probable. And it is quite probable that the random happenings you mention have occurred a lot more than once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

recedite wrote: »
    If an omnipresent God had died, surely we would have noticed the smell?

What about if an absentee God had died ? Would there be any smell then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

This idea was expanded upon by Dilbert Comic Creator Scott Addams in a book that was released online only called Gods Debris which you can download and read here.

It is a "sophies world" philosophical style mini novel which I enjoyed the short time it took to read.

Will enjoy reading this later, thanks for the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Will enjoy reading this later, thanks for the link.
    If you enjoy God's Debris you will love Dianetics by L Ron Hubbard. Lots more pseudoscience to sort out from the real stuff there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭BMF Plint

recedite wrote: »
    If you enjoy God's Debris you will love Dianetics by L Ron Hubbard. Lots more pseudoscience to sort out from the real stuff there :)

+1 hail lord Xenu:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

BMF Plint wrote: »
    +1 hail lord *****:D

You are either not meant to know that or mention his name outside of the circle.;)

Advertisement